Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need ideas for color front i beam and radius rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jick

jick
    from london

very nice!
    those bronze/copper shades work really well with black, and maybe a cream/off white firewall.....remember that really nice 32 coupe that the Kennedy brothers built a few years ago??

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Really need some opinions stuck between black and this color for front end.Ill take the best out of ten posts . ebay pics 1513.jpg

3. PinHead

PinHead

Don, I've seen your car in your avatar and for the longest time wanted to see full size pics, now I like it even more. My dream roadster has always been a black/cream/bronze color combo, with painted steelies, caps and whitewalls. So obviously yours is the tits to me.

I'm with the "sandblast and seal it" crowd, flat powdercoat would work great. I don't know what blast media would look the best though. Wire wheel after blasting would brighten it up a bit too if you want.

4. John, did you check that link I gave you on the first page ?
    That stuff is microscopic stainless suspended in automotive grade resin, then clearcoated with auto grade clear. There's loads of info on there plus at least 20 before and after pics.
    It's brushable if you want a brushed stainless or brushed nickle look, its sprayable if you don't and want a raw stainless look.

This is the same stuff used in some very harsh industrial applications.The difference is those guys package it in Quarts and sell it by onesey twosey quantity it in a pretty box with a ISO free single stage clear and gear it towards suzy home maker. Instead of by the pallets to chemical companies. You can Use any clear you want and you can tint the clear for a specific look. It's good for 300* F too.

There's a post some place on here where a guy used copper particles suspended in resin and polished it. (same idea) Bad ass let me tell youu !! Lots of ideas from that one. The thread was something like bare metal paint ? ? ? Few years old but bumped this past summer.

Edit: here's the link, most of the pics are gone, but the info and a video is still there.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22654&highlight=copper+in+resin&page=2

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi John.

Ok, let's think about this. Almost your whole car is gonna be black...body, frame, and you've already got the rear end painted black. Gonna have a dark brown interior...nice. You've got the wheels painted a cast-looking silverish grey. Great...black, brown, and silverish grey. We'll think of the wheels as kind of separate, or a non-color, as if they're magnesium or aluminum...pretty standard for mag wheels, regardless of the other colors, though they do enter the equasion. (BTW, they came out real nice) So really, only two colors so far...black and brown. But you want your engine yellow. So the engine is gonna be the bright color, and it'll add some zing, and kinda be the focus. So three colors...black, brown and yellow...and silver wheels.

IMO, That's enough colors. If you go with an additional color for the front susp, it's gonna start lookin' busy, and clash with the yellow engine, and distract the eye from the overall theme. I think you need to carry over one of the other colors. Black would work fine, of course, as the rest of the chassis will be black. And I tend to think the front and rear axle should be the same color, if the front axle isn't chrome. Brown to carry over the interior?...nah. Yellow like the engine?...nah, too much yellow, and again, taking away from the singular flash of the engine...the "jewel in the box", as it were. Silver like the wheels?...maybe, though you said you wanted to stay away from trying to mimick chrome. So we're down to two possible colors for the front axle...black or silver. How about both?...could be good, if you want a little contrast/detail.

I do disagree with you that black on the front susp would be too much. Again, an all black chassis would allow the yellow engine to be the highlight.

BTW...did you ever say what color the grill insert would be? Chrome? Paint?

Crap. I guess I can only tell you what I'd do if it were mine. BLACK. I'd say silver, but I think I'd rather see the wheels stand on their own. The wheels look kind of like magnesium, and if you have the same color on the front susp, it'll take away from that effect. If you're gonna paint the grill, you might be good with silver there, but not on the front susp.

BLACK is my pick.

6. banginona40

banginona40

I would prefer the color of the rim. Sorry, I don't like black.

7. xlr8er

xlr8er

It's not the greatest shot, but here's a picture of my axle. I had it painted in a 'cast' color because I thought black would be too much. I like the way it looks now that it's done. I also did the trans in roughly the same color. It kinda balances the whole color scheme thing out.

Attached Files:

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That does it! The '31 is getting hammer-finish silver-grey paint to the front end.
    [​IMG]
    I asked pretty much the same thing last year and didn't get anything like this response.

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What about the 53 Ford engine "gold" ? Not sure what it was really called,.....but it may be close to what you want?

4TTRUK

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's that same 53 Ford color you mentioned on this engine. I think Ford called it bronze. Bill Hirsch sells it. About $35 qt. It's engine enamel ans holds up really good. Easy to spray or brush.

Attached Files:

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you INSIST on keeping the engine yellow, then yes, I would say black would be the only choice. To me, a yellow engine with a black car is jarring, but its not my car, and this really is a matter of personal taste. For sure, I would not want to add another color to the mix. If it WERE mine, which its not, I would go with a bronze color for the engine and front end.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012