Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Dale, Did anyone get a picture with air under the front tires? I am glad you did it. Very cool. Brian

2. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Great story and great car. This has to be the one that was for sale in Ca. year or two ago? I was very interested and checking on plane tickets when the seller told me it went back to the owner it came from. Good story and I am happy for you. Brian

3. I've enjoyed and read every post here. It has helped me kinda make out what I wanna do to my 65 comet hardtop. It's going to be an AWB car with big block. It also came with a 4door parts car. And since I got the comet bug, I've found a 64 4door and 2door builder (not bought yet) and a 64 falcon 2door post and 2door hardtop. I need blinders on.

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Sounds more like a hi-po car that the original owner added some items to and hyped the story. I can't see how the factory added all of this stuff as options since these were parts usually added to factory drag cars off site either by Stroppe or DST. Still a very nice Cyclone.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Mark;I bet you are glad you hung in there and got the parts! What the hell would he want with them anyway?!! I have only seen two authentic 65 hi-po Comets,one here in So.CA.,and one in PA.,both privately owned,stock,not race cars!! ROY.

6. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I worked for Ford and they would have never added anything that the factory didn't have on hand as that's not how their sales worked regardless of who you knew but good story.That's all it is thou is a story and that guy who had it before you is pretty much a thief as he was suppose to sell the car to and kept changing the price then changed his mind.I know you paid more then it was worth but at least you got it back!

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I only saw a '64 , for 18K!!!!!

AD?

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

teddisnoke,
    sorry ,seems to have sold.adds been pulled

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Mark;I would be happy to see the car in person,they are mighty rare!!!My 65 Comet is special to me as I bought it in the Spring of 67,been through WAY too many stages! I hope you get a chance to enjoy you Comet now that you have it back!! ROY.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;go to Mike Morgan Racing Photography,then punch in 2012 Irwindale photos,only one album and Dale's Comet is on page three.I think they air brushed out the floor jack!!! ROY.

11. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

I went out to watch, and took a really bad picture of Dale at the line (not even worth posting), and left before the second pass. Saw the Honda hit the wall and the Datsun Z scrape the bumper though. I will try to make it out next week for the photo shoot.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

13. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

spike427:

Your right on the factory MFG cars, I worked at KTP in engineering and they don't make hot rod changes on the line. Your painting process assy for color are set for each car or truck as they go down the line. they don't grab what's laying in a pile! That's why most every car has the BUILD SHEET after the dealer gets it that a whole different story.
    About the latest 65 Comet Cyclone 289 hipo, I would to see photo of the hood from the underneath front area. That is one of the best looking Comet that I have seen and I seen a lot of them. I wish I could my original 65 Cyclone!!! ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

14. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

1965 Comet guys

First of all I have never seen a factory build sheet yet on a factory 65 AFX or BFX Comet Cyclone. All FX 65 Comets were Cyclones with a ( A Engine Code ) they were not K or D Code. These are the Stropp built Comets. As far as a Dealer or Home built AFX or BFX Comets go I don't know the difference! All the parts were attainable from the Dealers and Suppliers even a Body in White from Ford for about $650.00. A neighbor of mine bought one, it was a 4 door with the doors and trunk lid included. I may be wrong if so tell me!! ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

15. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Dale

What king pin angle do you use when you set the caster on a straight axle? My A-arm & strut buddies are getting me confused.
    Mike

16. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

congrats on re buying your car it looks great. have fun with the car.:)

17. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

A big congrats Dale. You did it! I think you have more left. You are right about the pinion angle looking kind of high. It should not go over zero degrees when under acceleration. You also might want to invest in some adjustable rear shocks. You are getting alot of body seperation on takeoff. I bought the Rancho's from Calvert. A bunch of Stockers use them and they are reasonable. I am sure guy's with way more experience than me can chime in but you are gaining now. Brian

18. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Just to be clear Mark, I personally think this story is bogus. It sounds like a fairytale made up to hopefully boost resale value to the unsuspecting by prior owners.

Even in 1965, there were legal regulations and mandates that an auto manufacturer had to abide by no matter what pull a perspective purchaser had. If the car was delivered to the oil man in that configuration, it was done at a performance shop or on the dealer level.

You'd probably find that is an early Crites hood with a little research.

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

It's not an attack...just a dose of reality. I personally can't believe that Ford built custom one off cars on the assembly line (such as a B/FX...C/FX Comet for the street) with aftermarket parts for anybody, no matter what pull a buyer had. Maybe you could post the Marti report or anything else from the "stacks of documentation" you have.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  20. comet64man

comet64man

this car is the real deal i have known mark since ebay started and his word is true.

21. Smirnoff

Smirnoff

They (Ford) did not - worked at Ford Rouge building Mustang's in the 70's, no one-off hot rods were built on the assembly line. However, a car could have been built on the line & then transported to another Ford building and/or test track for additional testing or modification or ? (many were & still are today).

22. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Mark:

You may be right I don't know! Please take a picture of the VIN tag on the and drivers door and show us Comet Crazy Guys what is happening. I am still learning about these 64/65 Comets even the cousin Folcon.
    ~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I'm not an authority...far from it but I've heard enough of these hyped up "1 of 1" stories over the years. You keep refering to assembly line production, not me. I'm only stating that I don't believe Ford would have added an aftermarket fiberglass hood, RC scattershield or whatever else you claim that wasn't available on RPO Cyclones in the USA on the assembly line.

As I said before, it is possible these parts could have been added by another shop as post production add ons or aftermarket modifications....just not as an assembly line built car. Still they were most likely added in the mid 80s when the muscle car and factory drag car values started to soar. Quite a few silly stories were made up back then along with alot of complete fakes.

Remember you recently claimed you got burnt on a Shelby that you purchased sight unseen based on a barn find story.

Just saying don't believe far fetched stories.

24. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I don't know if it matters,but If you ordered a Hi-Po you got a "package".My 64 Cyclone Hi-Po also came with a RC Industries 1965 NHRA approved bellhousing,Borg Warner T10-B 4 speed,9 inch rearend,4 inch driveshaft and HD springs,shocks and brakes.My "package" number is 5628.I have also seen "package" numbers 5509,5376,5377,5378 and 5379.Every Hi-Po Comet I have seen has a 6 digit DSO starting with 52.Add the "package" (group) number and you have a 6 digit DSO.I also have the window sticker showing the 5628 "package".And from what I can determine,all Hi-Po Comets came out of the Pico Rivera plant.

25. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Mark, Did you know that there is a 65 Comet group on Facebook? It is a small but growing place to go for more of us "Comet Folks". Pictures of your car would be great over there. Also the Comet Performance Forum has a pretty good group of guy's. I for one do not want to see you or your car disappear from the forums. I wish I could have seen your car when it was for sale in CA. Brian

26. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

First...If anyone on here should know how difficult it is to convince the skeptics its AFX Dave. Even with an entire scrapbook of documentation some people refuse to believe he has the real Beswick Comet.

Second...There is no way to get a car "from the factory". Even the $1 "freebie" cars all had to go through a dealer for retail tax purposes. "the factory" doesn't have a retail sales licsense and the NJ tax man could have put a real hurt on both parties. I have known a lot of people who have gotten "company" deals that went to the factory to pick up their car. Each time they had to go to a local dealer, have them pick the car up at the factory, then process the car through the dealership. As for all the extra speed goodies, back in the day Ford was known for filling the trunk with uninstalled goodies. Webber 4x2 set ups, headers, tachs, pretty much anything in their hi-po catalog. But they were not assembly line installed. That was the job of the buyer or delivering dealer.

I know how memories can get embelished. A 6" wheelstand becomes a bumper dragger 40 years later & a .005 holeshot becomes bigger & bigger every time the story is told. By the time you bought the car from the original buyer a few of the sharper corners may have been embelished off the actual story. Still it is a beautifuly preserved example of the automotive art and you are extremely fortunate to have it in your possession.

27. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I think I was the one who started this as again along with others here KNOW that Ford didn't put any of the hi performance parts on this Comet and I don't care if he was the president of the United States it didn't happen.Ford had more money then the oil guy and could have bought it anywhere.Ford built assembly line cars and those race parts were added at a later date.I've got one that the dealer bought and he was also an engineer for Ford and took the motor and sent it to Shelby to have it raced prepped and reinstalled it in the car along with other goodies and unless the car came out of the Performance Shop or Hot Testing at Ford and that's another story it wasn't built that way.Still good story and it's cool you have it as the asshole who sold it almost didn't let you have it back!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Hey- I believe you! I also believe everything else that you guys all say!!

To me the bottom line is you got back ONE BITCHIN COMET, that was out here in California, and we let it go. Poo on us. We'd kept it nice out here too!! I'm very happy for you that you are back in the fold with the car.
    The story of it? I think its GREAT! This is what you know to be true to you!
    Please-continue to show us all the coolness of your car!!!

I believe all sorts of stuff happened on those assembly lines we'll never verify! Hell, I still have a sealed bottle of Seagrams Whisky dated 1956, that some assembly line worker carefully buried in my custom cab truck, no doubt thinking he'd return the next morning to retreive it and carry on !!

Dave- you really own a Beswick Comet?? That is a dream for me!!! Congratulations!!

Dale

29. havi

havi

It appears the posts were removed. :(

But, even T-bolts were finished at DST, and not on the assembly line. It's a blessing Dave Lyall is here to talk about it.

30. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Dale

No reply to my king pin angle question?????
    Post #4960
    Mike