Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Falcon restoration if anyone cares.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Dec 7, 2011.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'll look out in the shop in the morning and see what I have for you. Does yours take the gasket or the donut?

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Not sure I'll get a flashlight and check.

It takes a gasket.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. mitchell stewart

mitchell stewart
    from toronto On

I just purchased a 61 falcon from a H.A.M.B.er and realizing that the 144 to 250 c.i. I6 are the same block is there anything that makes an engine swap undouable.Never mind I found it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. 62rebel

62rebel

i hope you just found that those two are definitely NOT the same block...

5. Powerband

Powerband

THe 250 is @ 1-1/2" wider, block is @ 3/4" taller and water pump length adds @ 1-1/2" lentgh. Also low mount starter interferes with steering center link stock setup. Not bolt in swap like 200 but simple mods and ingenuity allows for installation.

'61 with 250:
    [​IMG]

6. von zipper

von zipper

Still watching!

Attached Files:

7. Gas mask

Gas mask
    from Canada

I'm tuning in for this one, I'm tinkering on a 64 myself.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You done messin' with that motorhome yet?

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Getting close I hope. Maybe one more week. What a freaking nightmare. Not to mention new motor mounts manufactured upside down. Yes made in the good old U.S.A.
    Will a 25 year old motor-home pulling a 50 year old Falcon be HAMB friendly. Remember they both still have carburetors. I don't know you tell me.

Thinking I want to have a new exhaust system made that will eventually end up one side of a V8 exhaust. What exhaust manifold would be best for this engine (I think 170).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

All of the 200 or 250 stuff from '69 or so on had the larger out let and pipe all the way back. As far a s fitment for the system, I couldn't tell you what would fit, but I would start with Mustang from that era. Wouldn't be too expensive to have something made either, it's simple stuff.

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I have been able to make some progress on the Falcon between work on the motor-home. It's now a driver as soon as I get it registered. Thanks to Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and crankcase.

Attached Files:

12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hopefully through messin with the motorhome.

Went out this morning and started gutting the Falcon. Very pleased about how little real rust I found. It was all I could do just getting the front seat out. Thinking of buckets. I hate front bench seats! even on 4 doors.

Hey you Falcon experts what's with the hidden screws inside the rubber holding the rear stainless on?

Attached Files:

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good to see you back at it Gary. I have been slammed with customer stuff all spring, so not much done on my end with the G/Fs wagon. She is due back from Hong Kong in two weeks, and I promised her it would run when she got home. Sounds like time to get my ass in gear, huh? Wish it wasn't 106 out...

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

God 106 and burning. I quit at about 1:00 when it got to about 80 in the sun. I did get it registered last week. Drove it about 20 miles to the dmv. Overheated twice in 70 degree outside temp. Think I need a new radiator.

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thinking seriously of getting back back the Mustang engine that I took out of my roadster. The friend I sold it to still has it and will sell it back to me for the $1200 I sold it to him for.

Attached Files:

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't know Gary, those little sixers are soooo sweet in these cars. I just hate working on anything in my O/T 302 Maverick 'cause of the shock towers. And it's about 2" wider through the engine compartment. V8 are nice and all, but these things are sooo damned light that a hopped 6 is more than enough to make them happy, plus they turn back some very reasonable milage too.

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow you really like those little engines. I do have to admit the one in my car runs sweet. I'll keep it as is for the near future though. I do need to install air on the car though for when we visit your part of the country. 106 in May! I also want to find an overdrive tranny. for it. That would boost the gas mileage and save the little engine. I used to get 25 mpg in my 65 Mustang with the 200 six and auto tranny.

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Still striping the Falcon. Got the bumpers off yesterday. Hint to anyone doing it. Take them off at the frame! 20-20 hindsight. Bumper bolts are almost impossible to get to especially if the bumper is dented in.

Attached Files:

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Lots of ways to get into a over drive with these. Unfortunately, not with an automatic, but I can't remember if your is or not. Judy refuses to learn to drive a stick so we are kinda stuck with our 200 and 2.79s out back. A Nun on rollerskates will beat it out of the lights, but out on the freeways we will have no problem with 80+ and about 25MPG, and that's what this car is going to be all about.
    If your going stick, the T-5 deal is the great way to go. The s10 rear housing is the best way to go with the stick a bit forward, but it can be made to work otherwise. I went with a T-50 for the Ranchero that a buggy and I designed and made an adaptor for.
    I think you would be suprised at how peppy these things get with a mild head shave, good ignition, and three carbs set up on a progressive linkage. Especially when you factor in good gearing!

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I was thinking of early o.d. with the planitary gears so I would have freewheeling. I'm thinking anything from 49 through the late 60s should bolt in and I would still have the three on the tree. Usually the non o.d.rear end has a little higher gear. I had a 58 Ford six in the '60s and put an o.d. in it and it was great.

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's what I'm doing in my '62 - a 1957 T86 behind a 1965 200. If you're using the early engine, you can use the 1963 Econoline bell housing to mount the '50s trans. If you're using a later engine that originally came with a 3.03 3-speed, you'll need either one of the dual-pattern bell housings, or a late T86 with the wide, 3.03-style bolt pattern.

Good luck!

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

My 62 is already a stick. I thought Falcons and Mustangs had an O.D. tranny stock. Is the Falcon bolt pattern different than the early Ford small tranny bolt pattern?

23. always liked the little cars, have fun with it

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yeah, there's nothing that's a straight replacement for the 2.77 3-speed that came stock in the Falcons, Comets, and early six-cylinder Mustangs. You either have to swap bell housings or get an adapter. The only adapter currently available for the original bell housing goes to a 5.0 Mustang T-5.

25. silverfalcon

silverfalcon
    from california

Have fun with it and thanks for saving an old falcon. Wish I still had all the parts that I had left over from my build to offer you. I just recently gave them all away to another guy building a falcon.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Adaptors are pretty easy to make though if you have access to a lathe and some transfer punches.

Attached Files:

• 731.JPG
      731.JPG
      File size:
      213.4 KB
      Views:
    • 736.JPG
      736.JPG
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys. My expertise (If any) is mostly in '40s and '50s Fords. You have given me something to chew on. I can see this little Falcon will be a work in process for the next few years. Not sure of what direction it will go but I'm liking it more the further I get into it.

Gary

28. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

It has to get worse before it gets better. Just an update for the previous owner who is following this thread.

Oh by the way he told me they named her Lola. So Lola she will be.

Attached Files:

29. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I care!!! Build thread please!!!!!!

30. We had several Falcons- 63- couple 64 and a 68- nothing wrong with a Falcon-pretty much a Mustang under the skin- one of the 64's was a 260 stick shift- lots of fun-