Register now to get rid of these ads!

In honor of Barry Lobeck, picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kelly Burns, Jan 6, 2012.

1. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Built by Barry for Nigel Hebert now owned by HAMB'r Brian Lawrence......who is one of the most generous guys on earth!

Attached Files:

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Barry loved to facilitate the builds......everytime he walked me thru the shop, he spoke w/ great passion as he told me about each project !........He enjoyed what he was doing and I could see it in his eye's..............Littleman

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is the one that lit my fire. I saw it at the 1978 NSRA Columbus Nationals. It was very different in 1978. It still looks good to my eye.

4. I never met him, but he definitely made a huge impression on me. There are very few builders who "get it right" from front to back, and Barry's "Ohio Look" still looks as fresh today as it did back in '78.

Everybody has their own particular taste, but to me, the "Ohio Look" is what a Hot Rod SHOULD look like. Halibrands, dirt-track rear tires, quick-change rear ends, 3-spoke Bell steering wheels, solid colors.......to me, it's perfection.

5. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I remember I bought my 3 window in the fall of '77 and drove it the next year to the Ft. Wayne spring swap meet in the parking garage. When I was ready to leave Barry was standing by my car wanting to know if I wanted to sell it. He offered my $1,000 more than I paid for it, but I turned him down. A couple weekends later I drove it to the Tipton, Indiana swap meet. Barry was there again and offered my $2000 more than I paid for it, but I still turned him down. We started talking about hiboys and found out that we were both building them. Niether one of us said too much about our cars so when I saw his maroon 32 hiboy at the Richmond, Indiana Rod Run a few weeks later, I was blown away. I think he had more detail in his starter than I had on my whole car. That hiboy for set the standard for all hiboys to come. It is still my all time favorite. Me and Barry were friend to the end. R.I.P.

6. patina33

patina33

You know, I don't even know TMCG, and I don't like him. RIP Barry

7. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I believe this originally was a Lobeck car. Now owned by a local guy.

Attached Files:

8. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Barry was no saint - But he did something with his life and left an amazing legacy. Genny was the secret to his "success" in many ways - I think she should get as much credit as anybody for the Lobeck story.

Besides, meek and mild people rarely leave a mark on their world.

9. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Ya Barry had a few flaws but the Lobeck "look" is how a hot rod should look.When I saw his 32 roadster in 78 my heart almost stopped.

10. Never met the man (unfortunately) but he has been probably been the biggest influence of all the big names in the biz on my preference for dumped-in-front, solid colored (reds, maroons, oranges, yellows, deep blues), big-and-little (Hals and ETIII's in particular) shod hiboy roadsters.

Steve

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  11. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

Not a Lobeck car...but certainly an Ohio look influence. Built by a guy near Cincy

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I never had any problems with Barry. His 32 is and was killer, but I really love his 40 coupe. Know he's building a sweet ride for Jesus

13. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Barry was always a straight shooter with me. If he told you something you could bank on it. We laugh a lot when we get to telling stories about him. RIP

14. seatex

seatex

DAYUM< tell us how you really feel!:eek:

15. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What exactly is the "Lobeck Look"?

16. Davyj

Davyj

Had the good fortune of attending a few of his springtime open house shows, also got in on a few shop tours on the way to Good Guys Indy. There was always a good assortment of food and drink for everyone, not to mention Barry and Ginny showing the shop and all projects that were ongoing at the time. He may not have turned the wrenches on the later projects, but the vision and drive, sure came from him. God bless and remembrances to the family.............

17. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I believe it was Ken's. He's a member, kensdeuce. He's got a killer blue 32 Vicky, that certainly has the Ohio style!!

Kelly Burns

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

Attached Files:

18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I'll certainly take your word for it. The current owner thinks it was built by Lobeck, but he bought the car from someone in SoCal so he probably just parroting what he was told. I do know that the car sits KILLER; way in the weeds. Yet it's very driveable. He goes all over in it. Hats off to the builder.

19. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

My Mom always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all........."

20. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

That Vicky is Bad Ass !!

21. slammed

slammed

Really, the thread is a tribute. Not a whadda think/opinion deal. The guy got it done with a crew of like minded dudes.

22. slammed

slammed

Stance. Fitment of wheel/tire combo in relation to wheel well openings. Clean. restraint in mod's to exterior of vehicle.

23. Brandon-
    Take a close look at the pictures of the pictures posted on this thread. They all have a very similar theme. Perfect stance, big/little wheel & tire combo, solid colors, Halibrands (or ETIIIs), and very subtle body mods. There were a lot of builders in the Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky area who were influenced by this, and some beautiful cars have come out of that area as a result. Some damn nice 50s/60s/70s cars were built with this look also, by guys like Scott Sullivan, who is from Dayton.

24. metal man

metal man

This one defines it pretty well....but my favorite was the deuce delivery he had in the mid 80's. I can't find any pictures of that one. Oh, and of course the red '40 standard...I fell in love with that one before I ever knew Barry.

Attached Files:

25. saucerhead

saucerhead

TMCG, what talents do you have and what is in your garage? Something about you just smells dark brown. Barry Lobeck had your support when you really needed it. 16 yrs. ago when I had a severe injury, I had doubts of building anything again. Barry badgered me into getting off my ass and building another car. I did.(On B cover of TRJ #10). I have built more since. Though I can't stay on my legs long, I am enjoying my favorite hobby. I may have eventually built cars again but it was Barry who got me to step up and get started.

bsmdeuce likes this.
  26. vents

vents

Funny how the cars that got peoples attention were built before he had a shop full of talent...the black 32 sedan, the black n flamed 40(my favorite),the red 40,the red 32 highboy,the 29 delivery. In 1976 Lobeck and the Ohio guys stopped at the shop I worked at on their way to the Roarin' 30s show in St. Charles, MO. The owners were both out at the new shop so I was there by myself. These guys hung out and talked cars with a 17 yr. old kid who had a black 40 Ford too. I turn 54 this month and I've never forgotten that day or all the other times I saw him and how he always had time for catching up and laughing,talking cars,etc. For a lot of us nothing you can say will change the way we knew him..

27. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Take a look at one of my earlier posts in this thread, I think page 1, I think I posted a picture of Lobeck's delivery your talking about.

Kelly Burns

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

28. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Good story Vents! And very well said!

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1st met him around 1979 at Carlise,bought a cheap pair of alum 15x6 D-spokes from him,treated me real fair.I always had the utmost respect for the man.His black`40 and the maroon`32 just flat set the pace.He had the EYE...stance,color,wheels...no fluff just the right stuff.I`d bet he would have been a good freind to have.RIP...Godspeed

30. Other than the graphics that Delivery did it for me as well! He must have bought up the last remaining Firestone dirt trackers and put them into extinction:D