Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a 60's T bucket for the engine- but there's a lot more to the story!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Happy New Years everyone!! I told Jamie my new years resolution was to not buy ANY cars in 2012!!! I lasted 4 days :D:D:D Well, I did say that, however I did specify that parts cars were exempt ;)

I am selling the engine and transmission out of my newly acquired 34 roadster. It's rebuilt and runs like a top, but I was wanting a lil later flathead with some speed goodies and a helical gear trans. I have a used engine I was going to swap into my 41 Ford, so I figured I would run the tired 59AB that was in the 41 in the 34...at least get me by for a couple years.

So I'm on Craigslist browsing...I can't help myself, I look on there all the time. I saw an ad for a lil T bucket. I saw the ad a few weeks ago and thought it seemed like a buy, but I had no interest in it. Now it was here again and the words "NEW FLATHEAD" shine in my eyes. My Dad is a fine machinist and has built a lot of engines for me and my friends in the past, however building a flathead is not cheap nor fast...

I call and make arrangements to look at this beast. Once there I meet the owner- an 80 year old man! He tells me he bought this T bucket in the late 60's. It is a 23-25 touring with the back whacked off and a Model A bed welded to it. Dash is a narrow 42-48 Ford. Frame is an A. Has a shortened 42-48 rear end, dropped axle, juice brakes, home made hair pics, 40 pedals, shortened 33 pickup grill, cycle fenders, etc. The engine is a 59AB with Edmunds heads, Offy tri power, 3/4 race cam (grind unknown) and Johnson lifters. Has chrome reverse wheels up front and chrome slots out back.

Heres the COOL part. The owner said he had S&S engines here in Spokane build the engine in the early 70's. My Grandfather worked there then and did all the antique engines...so there is a huge chance my Grandpa built this thing!!! I had to own it now, so drug the lil roadster home. Engine was stuck, but after a little lubing she popped free. It is indeed new, the owner said he ran it about 5 minutes 35 years ago. Looks like he was right! Those heads are new as well. I jerked the engine out and will clean it up and make sure everything is up to snuff, then into the 34 roadster she goes with a PM-7 on top.

The fate of the lil roadster? Well she'll be sold off or parted out if no takers. She's a little rough, but does have a title and is a genuine old hot rod. Those tires are also brand spankin new :D Fad T anyone??

Had to stop on the way home and get a Dick's burger!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. woodbox

woodbox

Cool story! It would be a shame to part out this car. Looks like the perfect start for some young fella that is keen to get involved.......without a huge investment. Find someone worthy and give it to them.....then help them to learn about the right way to build real traditional hot rods.

3. thesupersized

thesupersized

cool story, but that car deserves to be built not parted out! could make a real cool car for someone.

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Chris - I hope you realise that there's going to a bunch more guys out there that are going to hate you even more now!!

Looks like a great buy.

What about throwing a banger in it and driving it as a grocery getter ;)

5. It needs a ton of work. It was never finished, and I don't want to be the guy to finish it :D I agree, it deserves to be put back on the road. It has a cool profile.

6. That sure is cool, and im thinking someone will snap it up.

7. That is a cool little car and it sure would be a crying shame to part it out.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm right there with the other guys, Chris, that little T is too cool to be broken up and parted out. Sell it to someone who can fix the wrongs and get it back on the road again........it deserves that. :D

Good score on the motor you got.

Don

9. scotts52

scotts52

That's pretty cool. Having things automotive that you can connect with family members is great. I have my grandpa's old 61 Stude pickup. I may be interested in that old T. I'm kind of sucker for projects. Just picking up my 55 Chev 2 dr post today in CdA so pretty much out of money though. Good job. You find the coolest stuff!

10. indybail

indybail

It looks to sweet to part out. And you still have the flathead out of the '34 to go with it, right?

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

fuckin rad man, I woulda bought that too! So cool your grandpa might have built the engine!!

12. Awesome, that's cool your grandpa might have built the engine.

13. TinShed

TinShed

What do you want for it with the motor/trans from the 34?

You can pm me if you want.

14. dart165

dart165

Very cool story. Not related to the Fad-t but along the lines of how small a world it is, I was looking at your pictures and had to do a double take. I'm 99% sure that's my fathers old 34 cabriolet ya got there :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

cool find chris! i hope someone steps up to finish the T. it would be super cool to see it done.

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool story, that flattie wanted to come home! Here's hoping whomever buys the T builds it and uses those wheels/tires and the fenders.

17. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Part it out. Ill take the front axle and juice brakes:) They will help put another A on the road!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Chris, you work fast. Really happy for you, getting that roadster and taking steps to get 'er goin' soon. Gonna be so cool to drive it in your wedding.

19. olskool34

olskool34

Are you made of money or something?? I just don't get it.

20. Pharouh

Pharouh

Love the T bucket! Definitely old school. I vote to not part it out.

21. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

Wow. I wish you were closer. I would love this thing. Been thinking about a bucket for a long time. That would be a fun one to finish and not to hard

22. relik

relik

they say you make your own luck...

you must have been busy. ;)

23. bgaro

bgaro

i'm in love with that grill. if i goes in the "for sale" pile lemme know.

24. I don't know how you do it Chris! haha hey I'd build that bucket..

25. It's a roadster, not a cabriolet

26. I make 3.00 an hour more then minimun wage, and I am not joking. I do a lot of side work, and most important am smart with my money. Anyone can do this, trust me.

27. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I'd consider rebuilding the roadster...I hear old hot rods are all the rage these days. :D

28. bct

bct

i like the 26/27 stanchions adapted to it ....funky.

29. Zerk

Zerk

I can see the car being a great project for the right person. Reminds me a little of the Roach Rod.

30. moonman29

moonman29

Cool find. Its always cool when you can tie your family back into your hobby. Its makes it that much more special. If i were closer i would take that T off your hands and give it a good home. Im about to start building one just like that but i have a glass body. That what you have is exactly what im wanting and building. Ive also got engines and trannys to pick from so that would not be a problem just wish i were closer. Congrats again.