Register now to get rid of these ads!

big question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nathanwoeppel, Jan 6, 2012.

1. nathanwoeppel

nathanwoeppel
    from bridger

i am young and need help.how easy is it to change a four cylinder to a bigger engine

2. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Depends on what your working on.

If your 4cyl is in a truck....fairly cut and dry.

If your 4 cyl is in a Metropolitan.....alot more involved....

Each build has it's own unique challenges.

4. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Just bore it out.

5. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

And how much bigger? A larger 4 cylinder ... a straight or V-6 ... a V8? At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, if you have to ask, you probably probably shouldn't attempt anything more complicated than upgrading to a larger 4 banger for your first time at the rodeo. Dropping a SOHC motor in a Falcon or a similar scenario sounds like a great idea, but the reality is that the design, engineering, fabrication and mechanical talents required to make it work and be safe are beyond the skill sets of many of us.

Be realistic in your abilities and start with a modest project that will enable you to gain the knowledge needed for more ambitious projects down the road. Swap meets and want-ads are full of projects half finished by people who bit off more than they could chew.

6. Step 1. Do an intro post first.
    Step 2. Use the search feature to look for what you are trying to find out.
    Step 3. Enjoy the H.A.M.B.

Welcome.

7. Step 4. Give us specifics.

8. How old are you? Let us know exactly what you are wanting to do and I'm sure you will get plenty of advice. The fact that you are thinking along these lines makes me think you might have potential, kid.

9. nathanwoeppel

nathanwoeppel
    from bridger

thanks sax man and i want to put a V8 in my truck but i don't think it will fit and i am 16 and have restored engines and worked on cars all my life just don't think it will fit and if not how do i get it to fit because i don't want to replace the whole truck for the newer trucks.(They are not as cool looking) the four cylinder doesn't have a lot of power and is kinda bad to use for climbing hills to the job sites and i have tried to put performance parts on it and made it little easier to climb but still hard on the motor. If possible please give any advice you can think of.I will take any advice i can get right now
    Thanks sincerely,

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012