Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering for 1930 Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Dodger, Jan 6, 2012.

1. A friend of mine has a 1930 frame by TCI and is putting a '48 Merc V8 in it. What is the best small steering box (such as maybe newer foreign manufactured pickup) to make it into that tight sqeeze?? Has anyone done it this way? Not wanting to put in a rack and pinion. Also looking for a set of headers for this....either center or center/rear dump. Hopefully at a reasonable price.

Attached Files:

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Are you thinking cross steering???

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you're thinking crosssteering, you might look at the early Toyota Celica steering box, 2nd Gen, I think, not the 1st Gen curvy one, the boxy next one. The box is built like a miniature Mustang/Falcon/Maverick/Comet box. I plan on using one in my 29 Tudor when the project starts.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

5. This is the exhaust setup we are looking for. Who makes it? What exactly is "cross steering"...I'm stoopid??

Attached Files:

6. Vega.... Cheap, strong, easy to install. Here is a pic of mine during mock-up. This is cross steering

Attached Files:

7. Don't ever consider yourself stupid because there are things you don't know, if that were the case we're all stupid.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Not stoopid, just ignorant and ignorant is not a bad thing because it can be cured.

9. Thanks for that. You guys are awesome.

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

11. Berky

Berky

You can get the headers at Speedway. They look like the stainless ones I got for my roadster.

12. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Im not quite sure what type of steering you want but here is my side steer box. late-30's early 40's chevy truck box with connecting rod mounts.
    [​IMG][​IMG]