Register now to get rid of these ads!

In honor of Barry Lobeck, picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kelly Burns, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

To honor Barry today, post your favorite Barry picture, or Lobeck built ride! Feel free to tell a good story, there are some out there, for sure!:)

2. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

A friend of mine here in town owns his red 32. Purchased a few years ago. Rolland Payne is his name, his cousin is the owner of Vintage Air Products. When they delivered the car to him, the car carrier also had the Batman turbine car in the trailer also. Pretty cool. Heb has taken the car on a few road tours and drives the shit out of this car. It's the one in the bottom right of this picture.

Attached Files:

3. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I believe this was Barry's in the 80s

Attached Files:

4. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

Here's Barry leaning on my Roadster just as we pulled into Pomona from cross country run from Indy. Thats my ugly mug on passenger door. Barry had just bought his 32 Roadster back at Indy. He had NO PLANS whatsoever of driving to L.A. The Ohio boys talked him into the trip in the parking lot around midnight before we left. He didn't even have enough luggage, medicine, etc. I gave him a t-shirt and a raincoat. He hauled ass the whole way with a smile on his face I won't forget the good times...Thanks Barry.

Attached Files:

lucky ink and roddering like this.

5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

Attached Files:

6. basicbob

basicbob

Some of the best with "Barry" will go untold! He sure did alot in a short life, always had fun.

7. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Or have been told over beer and wings!

8. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

It's unfortunate that he gets all the credit when he never turned the wrenches. He had a great crew doing all the work. At least Boyd had the talent to actually build something.

Sorry to be negative about a dead guy but I never liked the man. He never gave anybody credit for the cars he bought or had somebody build for him.

reagen likes this.
  9. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

My thoughts exactly....rip Barry

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

At least the man is being honest about his feelings. Because a person dies is no reason to sanctify their behaviour in life.
    That said, Bon Voyage, Barry. May your family and friends not suffer so much as they remember you in memory and tale-telling.

11. 61falcon

61falcon

Barry was a good man and is missed by those that knew him well.

12. onedge

onedge

[​IMG]

I was up to Barry's during this time 80 I think. His roasdster the Kid & Jakes 34. It was a great time!

13. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I remember in the 80's at a show in Cleveland (Hot Rod Mag?)
    Barry told me he was gong to build a "Glass Car"
    I posted signs all over the fairgrounds (Dune Buggy Body wanted) along with Barry's Motel room number and his name
    He just Laughed.... ...after he found out who did it
    Barry was alot of fun to be around
    and
    THe first one to help if you had problems
    LOts of great memories from the 80's

14. JAM

JAM

Hey McG-
    When you kick it, how many magazine articles and internet posts will there be about you? Barry was a good guy and always said hi to me like I was an old friend- despite not knowing me well. He was obviously well known and well liked by many in the rod community as his name is still brought up in posts such as this one.

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

There is such things as being tactful and showing some respect for the dead. The man's not even cold and he's getting bad mouthed. A real unclassy act.

R.I.P.

16. lucky ink

lucky ink

This is a man that will missed when I see a 32 ford thank of Barry ..some say bad things about him that's because they didn't know him or he just didn't like them lol... I new him since i was young and my dad had known him. Here's a picture of my dads car in Barrys truck back in late 70's and what it is since 1980 and still on the road ....[​IMG][​IMG]

17. gasser john

gasser john

R.I.P. Barry. i had the good fortune to meet and briefly work for Barry and his wife Ginny. i couldnt afford to work for entry level pay,and with the great team he had put together,it looked like i would be building frame rails for a while. i left their but got to fufill part of my dream life by working in a classy, A-1 rated, Hot Rod Shop. you will be missed by many Barry, Roll On Brother

18. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Sorry guys, just my opinion. I did know him otherwise I wouldn't have an opinion. I have been in magazine articles in the past and will be in the future, just not on his level nor do I care to be.

There were some fine cars to come out of his shop over the years under his leadership. My problem again is with a guy ,and not just him, that takes credit for things he didn't or couldn't do.

I mean no disrespect to his family or friends.

reagen likes this.
  19. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Barry was a fun guy to be around and he helped us quite a bit over the years. R.I.P.

20. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I was at the Nationals South one year in Knoxville, Tn. I'm getting on the elevator and hear some one yell, hey hold the elevator you mother-fer. I looked around to see who it was and it was Barry Lobeck. I asked him if he knew me well enough to call me names, and he said I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to my asshole buddy behind you. That is all he said. Didn't leave much of an impression with me. I later saw him at the Frog Follies that year, thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and check out his items for sale. He pretty much acted like he didn't give a shit if he sold anything or not. I'd ask him a question and he would just look at me. His wife was nice though. He did build some killer cars though. The Lobeck look was hard to miss. Still, I wouldn't knock the man now that he is gone. Hope his family and workers can keep those bad ass cars coming.

21. metal man

metal man

This picture was taken the day I met Barry. I'm the dorky little kid cut off on the far right. That's my dad with his hand on my shoulder, he had just won the 1984 NSRA giveaway car built by Barry's shop.

That's Barry with the headband and short shorts,haha.

Five years later I was working in Barry's chassis shop, and for what it's worth, I always felt he gave me due credit for being a good employee, and climbing the ladder there.

Thank you Barry!

Attached Files:

22. This roadster did it for me, and I think it got eveyones attention at the time.
    I took these pictures when Steve Coonan had it at Bonneville.

Attached Files:

23. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Here are a couple i took years ago.Barry was always nice to me.I remember i was pulled over at a rest area north of Columbus going to the HOT ROD nats in Cleveland.I had the front end of my Austin flipped up to check and make sure everything was alright.Barry had pulled in to the rest area and came over to make sure everything was ok with my car.Barry may not have built all those cars but without his vision they would not have that look.

Attached Files:

24. He was a good friend and built many car in the early years. I didn't see Coddington doing any building himself in the later years. The Lobeck look will live on for years its timeless. RIP Barry

25. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

[​IMG]
    Seeing Barry "Profiling"around the street rod nats in this coupe, then seeing it Hot Rod magazine around the same time is why my coupe went from being a Black & Flamed deluxe to staying a standard and being painted red. I was a 15 year old kid, and for some reason, this coupe just hit me like a freight train. I still love this car. Anyone have a shot of what it looks like today????

Even if he didn't turn every nut and bolt anymore, he still created a "Style" that will forever be his legacy, just like when someone thinks of 90's smoothies, they think of Boyd.

P.S. Mine also got flamed, because as his first 40 said....A 40 without flames is like sex without a tounge!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  26. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

gone a year ago today and i miss him a lot still. as far as TMCG's comments,some things are better left unsaid like your's should have been.

27. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I met Barry in the 70's and he was always very friendly to me over the years. The hot rod world will miss the Lobeck influenced cars in the future. He may not have been a builder but he sure had the eye for what a hot rod should look like. Remember, the speed of the boss is the speed of the team. I will miss him and wish his family all the best in the future.

28. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I just love this shot!!

[​IMG]

29. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Thanks Kelly. Barry was the MAN!

30. RAY With

RAY With

No doubt Lobeck left his mark in the field of hotrods. I have used his stuff for year and it was always top quality and I for one miss him.