Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm Busy... Let Me Be...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You tell em Dave! Dave For Pres!

No, just learn to protect your territory and look out for your brother and what the Pres says is the law of the land!

Well put Highlander. Some people never grow up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey man this is great! hope you dont mind if I save this for later use

3. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Not at all. In fact, quite the opposite. You described exactly what I experienced growing up in my own little corner of the automotive enthusiast environment. Good natured ribbing is one thing and welcomed as it marks a rite of passage and is a sign of acceptance. Like you, I do not even talk to folks I don't know or don't like.

If I do like someone then I can give and take a little ribbing with the best of them. The difference is that there is nowhere I have ever been where "Fucking New Guy" was ever a term of endearment. It was a condition one endured because "by god that's how we were treated and that's how we'll treat you too." I am not going to try to defend the FNG because he is anonymous but, we were all "Fucking New Guys" at some time in our lives.

BTW, I agree with your assessment about the surface rusted fender and the schmuck described. Rust free does not mean pristine paint. Unless it has holes rusted through, there ain't any rust.

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

we were all fuckin new guys. big fuckin deal.

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

And all this time I thought I was first thought of as a "Fantastic New Guy!".
    Darn. Live and learn.
    It isn't your name, avitar, car, or anything else that really defines the person. It is the person and what he contributes and how he treats others that makes the statement. We is what we is.
    Happy New YEar! Now back to the garage.
    Al

6. demonsix

demonsix

Sorry if you misunderstood, i wasn't talking about Ryan I was talking about the guy complaining about his FNG tag to Ryan.

7. I suggest..."Dennis the menace"

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

9. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

The FNG is probably fat boy lord of NK.

You no wanna piss off dis guy. He gots dat cool 70's HAMB Lincoln for cruising and he send nukes on yo head if you no give proppa title

10. Ole don

Ole don

I find it amazing that people will type in to a screen and send words they would never consider saying to your face. Did these people have no mothers to teach common manners? Where does the "mean" come from?

11. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

That is hilarious.

12. Dave50

Dave50

By Joining the alliance doesnt give you the right to break the rules if your a moron and dont read the rules and abide by the rules and ways of the site you will and should get flamed!! Do a INTRO AND MOST IMPORTANT DO A FUCKING SEARCH....

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The most common excuse for this is, "Hey man, I call it like I see it." I often find that I see it 180-degrees from these folks. Manners are what separate stupid beasts and young boys from men. Actual, honest-to-goodness men.

I'm hesitant to even make a point of this, because 99% of the people I deal with on a daily basis are the salt of the earth... But there is a contingent that don't get me at all - for better or worse. They might be right. I might be wrong, but... For the most part, they're just old punks, and that's a lot worse than being a young punk. They're not even happy; most of them hate the lives they lead, but they can't afford to admit it because they don't know where else to go, or what else to do. That makes them mean and mannerless... It also makes them useless, because there is already a big oversupply of mean bastards in this world.

And maybe that's what they don't get. This is a big, wide world, and I have all the action I need without feuds from stupid beasts and young boys. At the end of the day, I simply don't care.

I don't care, because this is a message board about old cars. There is nothing important about this place or what I do. Nothing. And as such, they aren't doing anything of consequence by tossing dummy grenades over my wall.

And when you look at this from 500-feet in the air, you see very little motive for manners. If nothing here REALLY matters, why bother?

And thats exactly why I think manners matter so much. Manners make a man whether he is a 17 year veteran or a Fuckin' New Guy.

Anyway, back to hot rods.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Your kids have a good Dad, Ryan.

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Some folks just don't want to pay their dues.......pretty much been that way as long as I can remember!

16. 38caddy

38caddy
    from RI

Ryan is a mix between Hunter S. Thompson and F. Scott Fitzgerald. I swear it and I wonder how many people "get" that?

I love this forum. And I love new guys, because I am one.

17. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Can you change my name to pin head???

18. fbama73

fbama73

If the guy has sand in his vagina over the FNG title, I think that is proof in itself that the title is warranted. When I first joined, and saw that I had the FNG title, I chuckled.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nawe. They have a really good grand dad. I'm just plagiarizing and using what he taught me.

Are there really any dues here? I mean, I guess there are to a degree... But it's just a message board. To me, the only dues to pay are putting in what ya get back and treating folks the way they should be treated.

Hunter's balls were bigger... And I can't write like Fitz... But neither knew a damn thing about hot rods. I guess that's my leg up.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, the first time I got called one was December 1967 at LZ Dog in the Bon Son valley of Viet Nam. It was "you FNG this" and "you fng that" until the next new guys came in. Later I learned that the guy giving me the bad time had been there 8 days longer than I had:D

I always figured that if we give you a ration of crap because you did a HAMB no no because you are an fng we might be seeing the potential that you have. If we totally ignore you and your mistakes it means that there is no hope and we want you to fade into cyber ob-liven. As in if no one answers the guy's thread it will fade to page 13 or the mods will kill it.

21. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

I think I have to disagree with you here. I believe you do something amazing with this place. You keep tradition alive. You bring knowledge and understanding and a general love of a certain culture to hard working folks around the entire world. People have built their dreams, been inspired, and unknowingly inspired others with a love of an automobile all because of what you do. To some, this is all they have for a love of something most wont understand. You created a place for us to gather, share, laugh, cry, and find a common bond with those we share an devoted passion with.

So what you do DOES matter. It matters a lot. It's not just what you do, it's what you've done. I think you've done more than you realize or more than you get credit for. So thank you. Thank you for keeping this crazy place available for us to tell our stories.

22. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Ryan i feel for you i have a shop in NJ 5000 sq foot i build cars have a machine shop and do reg repair on every day stuff i run like a mad man all day and most nights.
    One night at 2 am im looking on the hamb in the wanted ads and a guy in cali is looking for some 34 3 window door latches and i know i have some in my trailer i pm him and he called the next day i tell him i know i have some but im nuts in the shop and i have a race to go to with my funny car in 2 weeks and got a lot to do but ill dig them out as soon as i have time and call.
    Well the guy sends me a m.o for the amount and starts to hound me with pm's and calls the m.o is sitting in my reg and i tell him im busy and ill do it the first chance i get still more pm's and some nasty 2-3 weeks after the first call i spend 4 hours going threw my stuff and send him the stuff.
    Now i didnt need the $ i was just trying help some one that needed a part that i had i let him set the price and he still drove me nuts.
    Next time Ill leave the shit in the trailer.
    I dont understand some guys the stuff isnt needed for years some times and thay will drive you nuts to get it now i had a guy come in my shop last summer giving me shit on a small block i did for him in 1999 that it smoked but it was a new engine i did for him the only reason i rememberd him was he called me or stopped in everyday i had it in my shop when he came in giving me a hard time about the engine that was 12 years old im like what is the prob he tells me he just got it in the car and it was new but it sat in his shed for 12 years till he got the car done i just looked at him and was like WTF I GIVE UP :eek:

23. A lot of people just never get it... There IS a difference beteween maturing and getting old. Personally, I'm having a lot more fun now at 44 than I was at 24, mostly because I know which stupid things NOT to do.

24. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

LOL,We have a sign om the wall at work that says "Of course I want it today,If I wanted it tomorrow,I'd order it tomorrow!"

25. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I think I just laughed harder at this thread than most. I definitely have had my head dinges a few times on here, but I grew up with that so it's ok. I have to agree with Ryan, there are some "old punks out there"...but that's ok, most of them live with cats and watch wheel of fortune reruns all day and then complain about everyone else (ask me how I know....haha). I haven't been able to complete a project that i started and don't currently have anything at all (o' woe is me) but i still love to come on here and learn and listen. BTW, I'm still trying to figure things out and I'm pushin the 44 mark.

26. rld14

rld14

Nothing important? Bullshit.

Wrong. I read a blog entry of yours where you talked about how you love cars; you think about cars 24-7...

I can relate. My first word was car, I grew up in a family of car people... My mother drove BMWs in the 70s before anyone knew what they were, my dad had Porsches, including a 356. I learned how to drive stick on a BMW M5. But I always wanted a real 50s style hot rod and I have always been into older cars...

Then I found this place. I have learned so much here since I joined that I can't begin to thank the board.

Now I have an A roadster body, title and frame. I am finally going to build my hot rod. Had it not been for this place that you created this would never have happened. Instead, Chase bank would be holding onto all of my money. I can't be alone in thinking this way either.

And let's remove the cars themselves... I have watched people on here lose everything and seen the community power of this board rally the troops like no other. I wasn't around for HAMB Andy but... Wow, just wow.

This is a hell of a lot more than just some message board.

Bill

27. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well said

28. cbr74

cbr74
    from Nampa, ID

<---------------fng

29. It's true that I'm a pretty f'n n g, I however, will use this computer of mine to order a calendar and continue keeping quiet-ish!

Thanks for all the hard work Ryan, and thanks to everyone keeping the board stocked with build threads, and amazing pictures.