Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Are you ready to measure for the driveshaft?

2. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pat-
    Let me know how you want me to measure and what other info you need and I'll get it for you.

For those of you who are new to the thread, Pat has offered to build the sedan drive shaft for us. After checking out his qualifications, we felt he could do the job to our expectations. I think a lot of us underestimate the value in a good drive shaft until we have a failure!
    I hope you find this informative.

3. Rick,
    Refresh my memory on what transmission you're using in this car.

4. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Chevy Turbo 400 with a 9" ford rear end.

5. Here is where we need to be very specific on what pinion yoke is in the rearend and what generation of TH400 we're dealing with.
    I need to know EXACTLY which u-joint cap diameter matches the pinion yoke and what the width between the nubs is. Factory style 9" pinion yokes can measure 3 1/4" between or 3 5/8" between. The cap diameter can be 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" in either width. Afteremarket 1350 stuff will measure 3 5/8" wide and 1 3/16" caps with 3/8" diameter bolt holes for the u-bolts.
    The most common generation of TH400 will have a seal and bushing inside diameter of close to 1 7/8" and a 32 spline output.
    Get me a u-joint dimension and a measurement from the rear of the extension housing to the forward edge of the pinion yoke with the chassis on the ground.

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I'll get the dimensions this weekend!
    Thanks!

7. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just got off the phone with Pete. The firewall is finished! I'm going over tomorrow to get the dimensions for the drive shaft. I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

8. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I plan to make it out to this tomorrow (as a spectator ... I don't have anything old enough to participate). Can you suggest a good vantage point in Pasadena or surrounding cities... also the starting time.

Thanks for your help.

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Billsill45
    Meet at the parking lot on Foothill Blvd. where the Pasadena City College satellite building is. It is east about 2 blocks from Blair's Speed Shop. People start getting there at 7 and the tour starts around 9. I can't tell you where to go on the route because the route is kept secret until the route is handed out at 9. If you get lost, call me at 626-622-4488.
    See you there,
    Rick

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Happy New Year!
    I have some great photos here and should be posting more regularly now that the holidays are over.
    Thanks for your patience,
    Rick

Attached Files:

11. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pete and I are having a hard time finding Mustang II front seats. Does anybody have a lead for us to chase?

12. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Steve-
    Thanks for the info...we are kind of stuck on the mustang II seats.

Anyone else? Please put the word out for us.
    Thanks, Rick

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Crap! There was a Mustang II at the U pull it here intown 3 weeks ago. As quickly as they turn things here I'd be willing to bet it's gone. i can check tomorrow though.

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

MII buckets and a vega (camaro?) steering wheel...hahaha, you guys really are shooting for accuracy!

16. Rick-
    I was doing a "recon" mission in my local Pick-A-Part in Hesperia last Saturday and saw a Mustang II. I'm pretty certain the seats were still in it. Can you hold off until this Saturday when I can go back and see if they are still there? I commute 140 miles a day and get back in town after the yard closes.

I don't know why I actually stopped and looked at it. I was more surprised that the front suspension was still in it than anything else. Back in the day, I would have robbed that suspension in a flash. That was before the aftermarket was making Mustang II stuff......

17. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Flat-N-Low
    That would be great if you could do that for us. We would be very appreciative of any help that anyone gives us.
    Also, I love going up to Apple Valley and seeing Jake, Terry Finch, and Dick Burley. Anybody know the last 2 guys?
    Thanks again,
    Rick

18. I know Terry and Dick. Terry is in Oak Hills and Dick still lives out in edge of Apple Valley. I see Dick at the local coffee cruises, but I haven't seen Terry in awhile. A good buddy of mine still sees him every once in awhile. Last I heard, he hooked up with a lady who already had a big house, and he convinced her to build a big shop on the property for him to work out of! That's Terry....

Dick used to show up to the cruises in his roadster pickup with the blown Hemi that he won the Winternationals in back in the '60s. He was Keith Black's clutch man on the old Greer, Black, and Prudhomme Fueler. Rumor has it that he accidentially put the clutch disc in backwards during a between-rounds thrash, and the car went down the track and DIDN'T blaze the tires for the full 1320. It became their secret weapon!
    Alex

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Alex-
    You definitely do know those guys. I built my '34 coupe at Terry's shop and used to drive up every Saturday with my daughter to have breakfast with Terry and Dick (and sometimes Jake) and then work on the coupe. I don't go up as much as I used to but plan on taking the Turbo 400 to Dick for the rebuild.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  20. Any chance of taking measurements for the driveshaft?

21. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pat-
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but the last few days have been hectic. I'm shooting for tomorrow to get the info for you.
    Thanks,
    Rick

22. All good Rick! I know about how stuff like that happens. Need any other tips on what to look for?

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I saw Jake at the HME and he gave me the crashed Batwing off of the sedan. It was good for a laugh!

24. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here it is.

Attached Files:

25. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

More HME fun.
    I wish all car guys were this friendly. It would encourage more young people to be involved in our hobby!

Attached Files:

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

We had a surprise birthday party for Pete. Thom Taylor brought the best gift of the night. He is an incredible artist!
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

27. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Nice meeting you at the horseless carriage show!

28. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

WOW! what a gift!!

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sweet. Needs to be the shirt for the second coming.

30. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Anybody agree with Jeem?