Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Merc, How much do you chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ditcherx, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mikes51

mikes51

Thanks OneFineComet.

What he said.

At a show Mejia had his beautiful black Merc on display. It was painted but there was no headliner installed. All the builder types immediately walked up to the side windows and studied the roof (weld beads, etc.)

I overheard someone who was sitting with Mejia asking "why are all those guys looking inside at the roof???"

"To figure out how it was chopped"

2. their is NO HOW MUCH...its your car and your driving it..i done a chop for a guy who wanted only a 2'' chop..after we cut it and spotted it in place..he came by and said it was too LOW..so we added 1'' back..and he was very pleased with it..yea i know..crazy..but it was his car...
    but yes do your research before you decide..here is my old 49.. currently building a new one..good luck
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff135/lordzofkuztomz/P1012260.jpg

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

yep mike your 51 is damn good looking!! ive always loved your chop on that one. the two tone always grabs me and keeps me staring at it! looks real classy! one of my favorites.

4. low merc51

low merc51

Look on my albums ,,both mercs are chopped 4" !!!!

5. How big or should I say tall is your window opening? A friend from here was asking so I went and measured mine... My door window opening is a bit under 9 inches high.

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree...I'm kind of a connisour of 51 chops with 51 rear windows, they are EXTREMELY hard to get right and Mikes is one of the best.

Matt, didn't you do a 51 with a 51 back window that I also like, or am I thinking of Mikes car???

-Abone.

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original posted only posted once in two years and hasn't been here since September, but what the hell, we'll go on without him...

Here is mine a touch over 4 in front and between 5 and 5 1/2 in the rear. ( I just kept nibbling till I liked it.) Looks kind of scary right here...

[​IMG]

Here she is done...

[​IMG]

See ya, -Abone.

8. Normbc9

Normbc9

Maybe this will help you. It could answer a few questions.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

9. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Like others have said, it's about getting the lines to flow.

Yours looks great!

10. twochops

twochops

Mild chop 3 inches ,straight posts.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

11. The straight posts make this merc look so period correct!

12. To my eye Sam Barris' 49 merc and the Wally Welch 50 merc have some of the best looking chops. both are conservative and have straight b pillars. Also the Bettancourt 49 had a really nice chop with slanted posts. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. I would say they look best when everything flows and is in proportion, not squashed and flat like some. The greats didn't just cut the top to cut the top they did it to make the car flow more harmoniously. So many mercs and other cars are just cut without any regard to flow or bettering there appearance. I've seen some really bad chops and thought it would look better without a chop at all than that aborted looking mess of a chop. 49-51 mercs can look really great without a chop too. Dean's in Rebel without a cause comes to mind as does Jimmy Vaughn's 49. Both are very clean and very simple mild customs.
    Matt

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  13. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

My Merc has a mild chop with a 50 Merc rear window.

Attached Files: