Register now to get rid of these ads!

Questions about Steering Universal's and Shafts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Where do you guys buy yours? Is Speedways stuff reliable? Or is there a company that offers a better quality part with a comparable price..It seems to me that I don't want to cut cost/corners in this area? Thanks In Advance.. ryan

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have bought mine from southwest speed, and from pete & jake's (borgeson)
    The $10 savings isn't worth it to me.

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

BORGESON has "real" stuff! DD

4. harley rider

harley rider

I just bought some American made ones on ebay.very nice not as costly as some others

5. I always use Borgeson, they are the industry standard and have been making steering components for decades.
    I know the 'Hoffman group' is a dirty word on here but there joints look pretty good as well, but you sure can't go past Borgeson.

6. Rookie1

Rookie1

GM used and old rag joint for years.

7. Wesley

Wesley

Borgeson is the best, I have also had good luck with the u-joints from Stock Car Products (that is they are still using USA made stuff) as far as shaft goes I will usually use 3/4 inch solid stock, if weight is an issue 3/4 inch DOM chrome moly. if I recall correctly .049 wall

8. I used Ididit for my column and related parts. The joints were Borgeson's sold thru Ididit.
    Because this was a frame swap (my first) I really wasn't sure of what I needed.

Last year at the Detroit Autorama I spoke to Jane (Ken's wife) at their display and explained my problem. I asked her if I could trailer my car down and have them figure out what I need. She said no problem, gave me a card and told me to call and speak to Marty.

I called him, set up a time and towed the car down there. In less than a hour in and out I had my joints, a shaft, a column and some other related pieces. The only issue we had was that we needed to add a second joint as we were a little off on the column angle. A second trip for the joint (without the car in tow) and the column is in.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I buy mine at Pick-A-Part. Find most of 'em in vans. 2 for a dollar, and the lawyers have forced the OEM's to use only top quality steering parts.

10. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I always use Borgeson joints.

11. I've used half a dozen or so (not in the same car!) of the joints from Speedway, I believe they're made by Sweet MFG., I like them.

12. dgc15

dgc15

I have used Flaming River joints with good results. I like them.

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

Speedway Motors. Quality seems good, they work smoothly -- what else can I say?

Bob

14. fleetside66

fleetside66

I used Unisteer joints on mine, which were very user friendly & high quality. Check them out on Epay..do a search on "Unisteer joints" & you'll get a good idea of what they're about.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

'Borgeson' in my '35 and 'Flaming River' in the '46.

17. Orn

Orn

I have used Borgeson and like them alot.

18. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

There is no such thing as "DOM chrome moly" and .049" wall thickness is way too thin for this app. I used .156" wall thickness. You always design steering stuff for the worst case scenrio. You can't hardly make it too strong.

19. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Like 48 chubby said, the bone yard. No shipping charges,ups charges, brokerage fees and usually no tax.

20. I have used Sweet as well as Borgeson, no issues with either...

21. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

This is exactly what i was looking for.. I need a DD to 3/4" round, and a 3/4" round to Vega Spline, whic is i think 36 spline.. Thanks Again guys....

22. lawman

lawman

I have no problem with Speedway so far.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have Speedway in mine. No problems.

24. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

The sweets mfg. brand steering ujoints that speedways and others sell are a very high quality product and are used by many nascar teams.It's one of the few parts from speedway id recommend and use.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  25. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I had to throw out the Borgeson because they didn't have enough range of angle (or whatever you call it ) Replaced with Unisteer and solved the problem. I like the Unisteer pinch bolt design better, less chance of loosening. I have them on three cars. Buy them from Gearhead for best price.

26. Not to change the subject, but if you chucked a Borgeson joint because it didn't have enough angle; the problem was in the design, not the u-joint...

27. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

I built a dirt latemodel that had a homemade quicksteer box and .035 CM steering shafts (not the shaft that the steer wheel was on, but the lower shafts with universals on both ends) back in '85. I carried the quicksteer box and the .035 shafts over to quite a few other cars over the next 12 years. Many/many crashes over that period of time, never had any problems using those same two .035" shafts. I'm not saying it was a good idea, just saying i didn't have any problems with it :)

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Borgeson, Flaming River are ones I had good luck with; I'm sure there's other good products out there as well.

4TTRUK

29. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I've used Borgeson and Flaming River,..good results there, and I'm sure there's other good pieces available too.

4TTRUK

30. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

If you look at the paper thin stuff that comes on modern cars you'll realise it doesn't need to be strong enough to lift a church with.

Having said that, I'm using solid 5/8" steel bar for my RPU steering shaft. I have Corvair box and a Toyota UJ. You gotta use whatever is available locally, right. :D There's no Borgeson dealers in Angeles City.

[​IMG]