Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Stop in to tell a friend Happy New Year and the first thing I seen was his midget a old midget, so I got my camera and snapped some pics.One pic is some kind of a quickchange that was mounted to the motor plate behind the engine. Enjoy the pics.

1st drive of 2012 007.jpg

1st drive of 2012 008.jpg

1st drive of 2012 010.jpg

2. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Sorry I forgot to add the picture of car when it was raced. David
    1st drive of 2012 011.jpg

3. DocF

DocF

That is a nice old car and it is worth restoring from what I see. That home made in and out scares me, though. It is much too easy for a driver to lose a leg is something breaks in that thing. I would hunt for an Ambler box if the engine is not cut.

Doc

4. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

That is a famous car! The photo shows Frank Burany in the Emil Podriznik Offy in 1946.

5. Surfref32

Surfref32

I believe this is the Bennett Bros. KK Offy in 1961 being towed by a 1959 Chevy Impala. They won the ARDC points championship that year. If anyone knows anything else about the photo, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
    Andy

Attached Files:

6. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Another photo of the Podriznik Offy from a different angle. This picture was taken at Soldier Field in Chicago in 1947, Frank Burany is the man behind the wheel.

Attached Files:

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

While tripping through the Texas Open Wheel site a few days ago, I discovered this fantastic recently published six page magazine article on the Smith Jiggler F head conversion on the V8-60 with marvelous photos. Click on the attached Adobe file in the posting to open the article, after you use this link.

[SIZE=+0]http://www.texasopenwheel.com//index.php?showtopic=903[/SIZE]

If this doesn't excoite you, you are too young.

8. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Thanks for posting the picture of his midget I`ll get a copy to my friend.

9. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Your friend should get in touch with Frank Burany himself. I was seated with he and his wife at a dinner last March and he remembers all kinds of details about his racing and is in better shape than people many years younger than himself. I believe he spends this part of the year in Florida but I do have contact information for him in Milwaukee if there is any interest.

Here's some info on Burany's championship car attempts:

http://www.champcarstats.com/drivers/BuranyFrank.htm

10. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Thanks to all its amazing what I`m finding out about this little midget!

1st drive of 2012 007.jpg

1st drive of 2012 011.jpg

11. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

While perusing my old magazines, I came across the May 2004 issue of Sprint Car and Midget that has a Glory Days, 2 page Bob Sheldon picture of Danny Kladis in the number 39, V8-60 at Lake County Fairgrounds in Crown Point, Indiana in 1947.

Is someone aware of who built that car and any particulars about it?

It seems to be a tube frame and I know Reichenbach, Nielson, and Marchese were all building tube frames, pre and post WWII in that geographic area.

Anyone have a picture of the nose and grille?

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Check out the over the shoulder belts, and what looks like an attachment to the roll bar.

What am I looking at?

13. Podriznik

Podriznik

This car belonged to Frank Podriznik not Emil. Frank Podriznik was my father.

14. Podriznik

Podriznik

The finished car belonged to my dad who was Frank Podriznik. Just wondering how you know that the car being restored is the same car as the one that Frank Burany drove.

Thanks for the information.

15. DocF

DocF

Welcome aboard. I hope you hang around for a while as I know you have things to contribute.

Doc

16. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Sorry, I was relying on Bill Hill's information in his book, "One Tough Circuit", in which he identifies the owner of the car as "Emil Podriznik".

17. Flubyu

Flubyu

Anyone have photos of the Chet Miller Special car#32 from 1949 that Mel Hanson was driving the night he was hurt in Detroit.

18. jimg12

jimg12

Thaat is what makes this and the Sprint Car thread so good. So many people to catch small mistakes and that makes these two threads so imporant. Several years ago Ipicked up a book to buy. I flliped thru it and just happened to stop and read a page, most everything on the page I knew was wrong, laid the book down and walked off. I know no one is perfect but it is imporant to get things right. Buzz Rose and I am sure most everyone who does books trys hard but the mistakes that were in this book were allready covered in other books that were right, so this guy did not try real hard to get the facts right. Again this and the Sprint Car thread keep a lot of things right. Everyone makes mistakes.
    Jim Graybeal

19. Podriznik

Podriznik

No Problem. Where can I find a copy of that book?

20. Podriznik

Podriznik

Thanks DocF. This is a great site!

21. DocF

DocF

There are two copies available from dealers at ABEBooks.com. This is an expensive, limited printing volume, so they start at $170.00. I tried to enter a link, but this forum will not format it correctly.

Doc

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The book is available from the Knoxville Sprint Car Hall of Fame Gift Shop for $59.95

23. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Rex "Squeeky" Easton in the Podriznik Offy at Lake Hill Speedway in Missouri August 12, 1948.

Attached Files:

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I've got to agree with Jim Graybeal. Although most of my experience was with stockers, I loved the open wheelers, as Jim will attest. I've learned a whole lot from this thread and the sprint car thread. Thanks, guys.

25. doctordarryl

doctordarryl
    from NJ

Two of my latest Revell KK midget builds; The Ken Brenn Offy (that Rodger Ward drove at Lime Rock) and the Darrell Villa Offy. Decals for both were from Scale Auto Details. Lots of scratch built parts on both models. The Ken Brenn model was airbrushed with Krylon Shortcuts Bonnet Blue and cleared with Tamiya Clear. The Darrell Villa Offy model was airbrushed with Model Master Light Ivory and cleared with Tamiya clear. The chassis was airbrushed with Tamiya Orange.

I love these Revell KK midget kits!!!!

Attached Files:

26. tractorguy

tractorguy

Interesting question. I bought some of the sprint and midget stuff that was offered at the Danny Kladis estate sale in 2008. I have a unique aluminum tail tank that is brown and has a gold number 39 on it. I may also have some of the other misc. panels also. There is also a nose with the same stuff that is a darker brown ?? with a gold background "sunburst" and the number 9 rather than 39 on it. Next time I am in Iowa in the shed I will look closer at the stuff and bounce back to you.

27. jimg12

jimg12

doctordarryl,
    What about the GMP kits? Are they any good?
    Jim

28. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Also at that time along with Max Reichenbach there was Bud Simons (Reilable Welding) Hinsdale Ill. and Jony Paul Crown point Ind. Cold be maybes.

29. Podriznik

Podriznik

This is the car I remember as a kid. I used to practice changing tires on this car and dream of the day I would be on a pit crew at Indy. Also used to stop in and see Rex Easton in Springfirld on my way to college. Also, I did not have this picture of my dad Frank Podriznik) who is the first man on the right. Seeing the picture of Frank Burnay reminded me of a lot of stories my dad used to tell me about Burnay, him and Myron Fore as they raced in California. Thanks for the memories!

30. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

I was hoping your father was in the picture - glad to have brought back some good memories!