Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Pugsy! I'll make it work somehow, but I'm going to buy the weatherstrip first before I continue with the window garnish. Glad you like the thread!

2. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Eric the weather strip is too soft to help shape. The stuff will not give a good idea to the shape either. I would trim the lower half sides to the length you need, fit it with "gentle persuasion" to the lower opening, mark the opening, and fit the upper half to the top of the opening and trim carefully to the marks you made from the lower half.

3. farmer12

farmer12

While I have to wait for the weatherstipping, I moved on to the driver side door. There is only a little rust here, the rest of the bottom of the door is still in good shape. The rust is in the front and at the rear, so there is no use in replacing the whole bottom section. I cut out the forward section and fabricated a new piece.

The last two pictures are the change I'm making to the radius of the bottom. When I welded the new rocker panels in, it changed the gap between the rocker and the door. So now I'm going to change that so the door will not touch it in those two small places by changing the radius slightly. All was going well until I ran out of welding wire......

Attached Files:

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Bill! I really don't need the strip to shape it, I just need to find out what the gap will be. I don't want to force the garnish too much, but there is some play in there. It will work out fine. Thanks!

5. farmer12

farmer12

I had a couple of spare hours tonight and finished welding the first part of the bottom of the door. Then re-threaded the hood hinges and got them bolted in with ss bolts and washers. It was a productive day today!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

6. Moparts

Moparts

great craftsmanship farmer12, very impressive build! just awesome.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Moparts, positive comments are always appreciated!

8. farmer12

farmer12

Finished priming the bottom part and decided it was time to clean the garage, re position the car slightly and mount the center panels. Rethreaded them and bought some ss bolts and washers. The panels are in good shape and don't require any more work. I'll need to position the radiator slightly higher in order for these panels to line up at the body. It's starting to look like a car now.....:D:D:D

Attached Files:

9. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Man this pic is a beautiful shot..it looks great. It must make you really excited to see it form back into a car again..

Attached Files:

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Keeth. I was actually wanting a little change from welding/fabricating, so I thought this would cheer me up a little. It did.:D

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice!
    That looks really clean.Only thing you can see is a radiator and that huge hemi.Keep it by that way and hide everything else if it is possible?

12. farmer12

farmer12

My thoughts exactly Finnrodder! I'm going to hide as many air lines, elecrical wires and brake lines as possible. This may be challenging, but where's there a will, there's a way! Thank you for the comments.

13. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

That Hemi looks great between the fenders, look like I got myself a new screensaver. Awesome work farmer!

14. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Hogman, it's all coming together now.

15. farmer12

farmer12

Just got home from a 300 mile roadtrip to get a new exhaust for my buddy Bart's 56 Ford. There are of course other people that can make exhausts in the area, but the guys at EPS are just the best. While the f100 was in the shop, we went over to Albert Braaksma and his continentalcars.nl business to see how he was doing. Had this awesome Hudson and Plymouth in his showroom. He's also building this fantastic 64 Galaxie drag car with a 460 in it, which will move like nothing else when it's finished.:D more pics soon. (before anyone notices, that's my wallet in my pocket.)

Attached Files:

16. farmer12

farmer12

After meeting up with Albert, Bart and I drove back to EPS to check on the progress. The guys there gave us a tour of the facility, including racks full of new engines! The exhaust under the 56 turned out awesome, loaded the car back on the trailer and drove back to the other side of the country.(the Netherlands is a small country guys.). All in all, Bart and I had a great day!!!

Attached Files:

17. Bart 56

Bart 56

Thanks Eric, was à nice day

18. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Forgive me cause I don't know, but is your $dollar different than ours? Those gas prices posted there I could only wish was our prices..

19. farmer12

farmer12

No you don't.......that's the price per liter.....in Euro's........that makes it about 8 usd per gallon.......welcome to the Netherlands and enjoy your v8.....:D

20. DoubleGoggles

DoubleGoggles

That hemi shure looks the business! All the best for this year and hope to see you driving around the country sometime soon.
    And by the way, the cheapest gas on that picture is over 8$ a gallon!!
    Major props to a guy that's building an injected hemi in this here country...

21. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

WHOLLY CRAP!!! Nevermind we're good...

22. Cool trip you guys took. Thanks for the pictures.

It always makes me laugh how North Americans gripe about gas prices so much without realizing that we are paying some of the lowest prices in the industrialized world for gas.

23. farmer12

farmer12

That's very true. These gas prices are a reality we learn to live with......this is really nothing compared to the 52% income tax I pay....but that's a different story. Consider yourself very lucky in the U.S., is all I can say.

24. HAHA I am in Canada so we have the high income tax(not 52% high :eek: ) as well but skate by on gas compared to you we are about $.96 CDN dollar a litre right now where I live.

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you DoubleGoggles! Looking forward to seeing you on the road as well! (if I can scrape the money together for gas, that is.....:D:D:D)

26. I may have missed it over the 107 pages but do you have a final color in mind?

27. farmer12

farmer12

Black exterior, tan interior. Fairly similar to the photoshop Rikster made for me....but shiny black. There will be subtle changes to the pic, but you get the idea I hope.

Attached Files:

28. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

That looks so awesome Eric...if I ever come to the Netherlands I will surly look you up so I can see your work in person..
    The only thing I would change and its just a person preference, I like chrome bumpers. So I would have the front bumper..

29. farmer12

farmer12

You're always welcome here in the Netherlands, anytime! In the pic the front looks a little naked, but will have the vertical chrome trim pieces running down the nose with the licence plate at the bottom and the chrome "heart". This should create a better look I hope. I'm going for the front end look of this Japanese '41.

Attached Files:

30. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Your car and Slmlrd's car are my two favorite rides. You guys keep me motivated on my car everyday. I won the Gambino Kustoms Notch givaway, so they are on there way to me. That's one more thing off my wish list..
    My last car was my 52 Buick Special that I loved working on, it now resides in Poland..