Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some junkyard pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ga66mopar, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

A few more

Attached Files:

• row1.jpg
      row1.jpg
      File size:
      554.8 KB
      Views:
    • row2.jpg
      row2.jpg
      File size:
      540.2 KB
      Views:
    • row3.jpg
      row3.jpg
      File size:
      556.2 KB
      Views:
    • row4.jpg
      row4.jpg
      File size:
      496.7 KB
      Views:
  2. RGG

RGG

Did you buy anything?

RGG

3. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Thanks for sharing.

4. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

any 39-46 chevy/gmc trucks

5. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

In the last three weeks I got 4 sets of mopar disk brake spindles and two 12 bolt chevelle rear ends and one munice 4 speed and bell-housing out of a 70 camaro. I got a couple of console steering columns out of chevelles and one complete dash out of a 71 ss chevelle. I also got one set of 340 wheels off of a duster which are 14x5.5. I spoted a bunch of other stuff but I can only go on Saturday.

6. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I don't remember seeing a truck like that. But I bet there are 2000 cars and trucks or more at this place so there could be one.

7. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

It's not a functioning salvage yard it is a old yard that been closed for years.

8. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

A few more

Attached Files:

• row1.jpg
      row1.jpg
      File size:
      511.5 KB
      Views:
    • row2.jpg
      row2.jpg
      File size:
      503.6 KB
      Views:
  9. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

we would be interested in some of the items if they can be purchased thru you. the GMC cabover for the wrecker boom and the 40 Ford truck in total. if that is possible let us know. Alan

[email protected]

10. lump

lump

Cool. I just LOVE photos of cool cars in junk yards.

By the way, one of my clients and I have been looking for a badly clapped-out Duster to use for a step-by-step restoration of all the body panels. The Sublime Green 340 Duster in your photo might be a perfect candidate, if it is rusty enough underneath.
    [​IMG]

Do you know the status of this junk yard now? Are these cars/parts for sale, or is it a closed-down yard now?

11. lump

lump

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's a BBC engine. Notice the two bolts in center of valve cover, and the exhaust manifold is all wrong. Heads are not BBC, I don't think.

:confused: Maybe a Y-block Ford?

12. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

Here was another 340 duster. It wasn't b5 blue it was more of a Richard Petty blue. I did find a 340 block laying in the weeds but I haven't had time to dig it out yet.

Attached Files:

• row1.jpg
      row1.jpg
      File size:
      565.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  13. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I'm pretty sure it is a Ford y-block. Looks like someone's early hotrod project.
    :confused: Maybe a Y-block Ford?[/QUOTE]

14. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

hey thanks for answering my guestion about it not being a functional yard. now im curious like a few others if you can be a parts seller and supply some much needed parts to the hamb

15. lump

lump

Wow, yeah that wrecker boom is just plain cool. But I've racked my brain trying to find a photo of a 40 Ford truck in this thread. Where did I miss it?

16. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

He talking about the one ton truck. It does have V8 on the side

Attached Files:

• row1.jpg
      row1.jpg
      File size:
      497.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It's an Olds Rocket...

18. [CJ]

[CJ]

I wonder why who ever owns the land doesnt just part them out or try to sell instead of letting them sit.

19. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

After looking at the heads I guess it is a Olds. Good call

20. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I was wondering the same thing. Most people would have crushed the whole place way before now. I think they keep it low keyed because of the IRS and the EPA is my guess.

21. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

sweet pic thanks

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for sharing the pix! Northern GA. Not Old car City (Lewis), is it?

23. lump

lump

Oh, I see. That's a '46, I believe.

I had a '40 Ford hot rod pickup back in the mid 1970's with a 327 and 4-speed. I drove it to work every day for a year or two. Now that it's gone, I kinda miss it, and might like to have another as a daily driver. So that's why I was searching for one in your photos.

24. No, I just drove by there (Old Car City) on the way to Douglasville the other day- NOT the same stuff, from what I see.

25. lump

lump

I know of one "junkyard" in North Georgia, which was never really a legal salvage yard operation, just a bunch of junk cars and trucks that some guy hoarded away in his back yard. It never really was an official, legal business. But when zoning laws came along, this collection of old cars was already in place, and so got grandfathered in. They couldn't make him get rid of his old cars, but he couldn't legally sell parts and stuff either. Stalemate...so the cars just sat there.

There have been hundreds of places like that around the country. I knew of one in Cleves, Ohio, years ago (with cars from the 30's and 40's, don't know what ever became of it), one in Fairborn, Ohio (it's gone now...the owner took on the city and lost), and one near Middletown, Ohio (still there, but not open).

26. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

thats a simple law to get around, dont pay for the part. pay the land owner a storage fee for holding the part for you. or say you paid him to allow access to his land for a few hours.

27. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

No it's not Old car city. This yard isn't really a business.

28. richywindscreens

richywindscreens
    from uk

love the pics we dont see anything like it in the uk

29. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

I remember some good ones in WI when I was a teen. Probably long gone now. There was one on the way towards New Berlin that had newer stuff in front but a lot of older cars back in the trees. Corvair heaven as I recall. Sadly I don't recall just where it was anymore. Nor the one the one my ex-brother-in-law and I used to frequent all the time for 70's muscle car parts.

I've been trying to find anything in NY as well, but it looks like just about everything is gone now.

30. lump

lump

Well, I agree, sorta. :(

IF the yard owner knows you, and knows you're not a govt stooge, then some of them will sometimes sell you stuff. But the govt is not above sending undercover people to try and buy parts, and if they are successful, then the govt can bring the owner to court and prove he has been selling stuff without a govt license. (And with today's EPA rules about oil and antifreeze on the ground, tire disposal, permits, and other govt red tape, it is too expensive for little guys to operate "legally.") And if the govt can prove he has been selling car parts without all the legal permits, they can seize all the cars and scrap them right in front of his face.

That's EXACTLY what happened to that little yard in Fairborn, Ohio. I know, I was there.

When I was in my early 20's, I had been buying a few parts at a time from the REALLY old guy who owned that Fairborn "yard." I tried all summer to cut a deal with him to work part-time around his off-the-record operation, removing parts for customers who came to his door, and scrapping piles of junk steel laying around everywhere. I proposed to accept no cash...just some of his cool older cars and parts as my "wages." We were getting close to a deal...I did some work, which led to my BIL and I buying a fairly nice 57 Chevy 2-door sedan for like $150. (I was trying to get him to part out a pink 58 Impala with lots of good parts (348 engine, etc), but he thought it was too nice to junk (frame rusted completely GONE!) He had a rusty 59 El Camino with lots of good parts too, and tons of other great old cars going back into the 40's.)

ANYWAY....one day I showed up and saw bulldozers, dump trucks, and cops everywhere. The old guy had apparently been defying the city, and one day they showed up with a police order and cops to enforce it. He was not allowed to save, preserve, sell, or part out ANY cars or parts. City employees stood right there and watched me talk with him, just DARING him to agree to sell me something. They smashed everything and hauled it off. I tried everything...even tried to bribe the truck haulers to meet me somewhere and sell me that 348. But NO WAY. It was all destroyed and hauled to the crusher. :mad:

You gotta love the %^#$&* govt and its rules. :(