Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Sounding Horns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Workdragon, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Workdragon

Workdragon

I am gathering some research for my 1950 F1 truck project and I have a fond memory of the old model A/T horns. So, I wanted to know what people thought was the best sounding production horn available?

2. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Your original horns were pretty loud.

Older Cadillacs had horns that honked a musical chord rather than the dissident sound most horns make.

I have a set of five genuine(not the so called imitators) K-5 locomotive horns. Sometimes I wish they were on my car when someone isn't paying attention. A friend found enough space to hide a set of three Leslie locomotive horns on his full size van. A couple times he nearly got his butt kicked by someone who wasn't amused.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't say which were "better". Depends on what you want. You said you like the Model A horns, but I'm not sure you're thinking of using one on your truck. Do you want the Model A "Ahoogah", or the later '30s "Beep", or the later big car multi-horn "honk"? One thing to consider, is whether your electrical is 6 or 12 volt...that'll narrow your choices. All car horns are produced in a particular key. You can mix and match to produce different chords. Have fun.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can find a rear wheel drive Cad seville 76/80 in the wrecking yard they have a set of horns in the right front fender complete with relay that have an authoritative sound to them when you hit them. Actually as CutawayAl said, Just about any set of horns off an older Cadi.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Cadillac trumpets. Seems a consensus is forming.

6. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I like my 53 chevy horns on 12 volts..really gets their attention

8. olskool34

olskool34

56 Buick, I liked them so much I bought a pair for my 53 chevy when I had. They were great sounding horns.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

La Cucaracha Horns!! Got em on my 59 olds!! :D

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a set of '68 Cad horns on my F100 (3, the high and low from the Cad, and (1) from an '85 Olds 88.)
    The voice is like that '65 Riviera sound, the "Diesel drone". (not loud as a train, but 'authoritative')

Don't bother with aftermarket 'Ah-ooga' horns...they sound like a rotary buzzer. Original Model T/A horn driven by 12 volts gives the "OOGA!" Fast up-and-down, like a light flywheel. And loud as a drag costume.

11. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

What ever gets the attention of the asshat in front of me.

12. 50's Buick multi tone horns have, IMHO, the best, most authoritative, sound. Early 50's 6V later 12V.
    They can be tuned with a screw on the crown!
    Bill

13. Workdragon

Workdragon

The truck (I mean the parts all about the garage) is going through a frame up with a 302/T5/9 inch. I am also grabbing a Jag IFS and installing a painless 12 volt system. Anything goes for the horn, but thanks to everyone here, I am leaning towards the caddie

14. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

For a traditional bent, I bought a pair of '61 Caddys for a friend's Model A. MY daily driver '85 Eldorado has a tuned, harmonious pair of horn that are very authoritative in today's beep beep world. They would be easy to come by. Oh wait, I see you're in the rust bucket. Well, maybe not so easy in your wrecking yards but perhaps online sources could work. I agree with the other posters though, Caddy and Lincoln horns were tuned to be in harmony with each other and are common to a big car sound.

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

Train horns.........

16. Workdragon

Workdragon

17. I've used Merc 'S' class horns to good effect, yet, the older Cadillac horns DO sound good, and loud. Try to find a late 60's with the optional trumpet (will total 4 horns). Grab all four, that will be the best sound. Had that on my fully (only missed rear seat heater) loaded '68 F-75.

Cosmo

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite a bit newer, but the Buick Roadmaster from 92 to 96 have some pretty badass horns in them.

19. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

i got the train horn setup for my 53 chevy rat shop truck dual horns w compressors :cool:

20. NoPaint

NoPaint

1994 Caddy Deville will rock your world. It was literally the culmination of Cadillac horns. I put them on everything I buy.

21. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I use 1950 Ford horns on al my cars. They were 6 volt originally but when you hook them up to a 12 volt system, well, lookout.

22. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

I am running 6-volt Spartan twin trumpets on a 12-volt system. Makes them twice as loud and, since the beeps are usually brief, they don't burn out.