Register now to get rid of these ads!

Followed Ryan's lead! Added a stereo in the Merc!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Jan 4, 2012.

1. After reading Ryans thread about putting music in his Sedan,I decided to do it to my Merc,before I went on the cruise down Colorado Blvd,last Sunday.
    First I bought a used Ipod nano from a guy at work,$20. Got me a 200w,2 channel amp,$50(under the drivers seat). 500w woofer,$100(sitting on the back seat). Two 3 1/2",120w tweeter/midrange speakers for the dash,$22(in the dash). Monster cable with RCA jacks and Ipod hookup,Radio Shack,$25. Last was a 1950's suitcase to put the rear speaker in,$50.

Total-$267.00

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. Oh yeah. I put my mom's old Gardening Hat over the speaker,so you couldn't see the speaker.

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

So whats on the playlist? Might I suggest a little Stevie Ray Vaughn for the ride there and a little Hendrix for the ride home. :D Keep cruising man.

4. SUCIO

SUCIO

This looks really clean! I had to do a double take to realize what you did.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice! Cool idea with the suitcase.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Very stealthy bob!

7. So far...
    American Graffitti soundtrack
    Brian Setzer-"49 mercury Blues" (of course)
    Best of- Roy Orbison
    Best of- Stray Cats
    Best of- Johnny Cash
    best of- Chuck Berry
    Best of- Little Richard
    Favorite Elvis songs-"Love Me","Jailhouse Rock","Don't Be Cruel".
    Loyd Price-"Just Because"
    Eddy Cochran-"Summertime Blues","Somethin Else"
    Richie Valens-"Rip It Up", "La Bamba","Donna"
    Dion-"Runaround Sue","Wanderer"

I'm still looking for more of my favorites from when I was a kid. Just Cruisin music. I don't want anything else on it. I love all kinds of music(except RAP shit!) but I just wanted the stuff I used to hear as a kid. there's NO big bass sound,unless the recording has it on it. Sounds like an old radio,but crisper.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  8. The woofer was formerly a "BASS BOX" my son played all his stupid shit through! I cut the face off so I could sandwich the lid,for better support. Hated to cut up such a nice,vintage suitcase,but that's the look I was going for. I even put some of my vintage travel stickers on it!

9. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Very nicely done, I was thinking of a cool way to display my audio in the trunk, may have to borrow your idea!

10. I plan on doing a similar set up in the '38 Pick-up. I have two really nice Drive-in speakers that sound great,that will be mounted in the rear corners of the cab. The volume knobs still work too!

11. Looks good.........

12. I was at a Good Guys/Del Mar show a few years back and a guy with a Conv. 47-48 Buick had all his amps,speakers,CD changer,in some fancy,leather suitcases in the trunk. Looked great,but TOO snazzy for me.

13. von zipper

von zipper

I bet that makes the hat dance!!!

14. I did the ipod deal in my 64 belair ash tray. I turned the ashtray knob into the volume knob. Everything tucks into the ashtray when not in use. Thanks HAMB!

15. Did I mention...it sounds GREAT!!!!!

16. Way cool idea on the suitcase Bob!

17. Thanks Farmer...

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool post and purrfect timing. I'm in the same boat, it is time to add a stero to my
    Merc. I was going to go back and find the post on what I need to do. I'll just do what I
    can do be like Bob.... Looks good!!

Happy Trails, Mick

19. Actually Dylan would get you there and back with a little steppen wolf and jefferson airplane thrown in for good measure. :D

I personally think that tunes and a cruiser go hand in hand. I have some of the stuff collected but haven't decided what is a good home for it yet. Decisions Decisions. :eek:

Love the suitcase speaker box by the way.

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

Gotta add some Link Wray if you heard him back then.
    Also, grab a guitar jack so you can plug/unplug the suitcase.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very neat idea Bob !..I am very new to the music as a computer file thing but I got an i-phone 4 through work, that I am gonna start putting tunes on...I should be able to do something similar with that?

22. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Would that be traditional? :eek:

23. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

Or you could use an RCA jack like that connects to the output side of the amp and just run RCA cables back to the suit case and add a RCA port to the suit case so you could unplugg it and remove it if needed. Would be a quick and easy way to make it removable and not have to mess with the sping clips and wires on a typical speaker box. Just a thought.

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I hid mine behind the speaker grill

Attached Files:

25. I like the idea of a removable speaker hidden in the suitcase, then for shows you could unplug it.

26. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

What happens when you have people in the back seat? Does someone have a suitcase on their lap?

27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I like the suitcase idea.That's cool that you some music now, so when you run out of gas you have something to listen to.LOL!

28. I rarely ever have someone in the front seat! I set it up so it can just be unplugged.

29. hahahaha! I'm set for life then!!!!! But,I won't be able to hear it in the tow truck...

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great job Bob. Never leave home without my tunes, however, I get my music from Itunes and burn CD's. The Pontiac has satellite radio but the subscription ran out.