Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I worked in the shop at Gardners and knew Mr. Felts from his association with Mr. Gardner there. Real quality guys, and a quality tune up shop as well.
    What became of that car?
    Tom S. in Tn.

2. X2 !!!
    We'd love to hear more about this car. A photo would be a nice Christmas gift for us Thunderbolt junkies....:D

3. flattrack53

flattrack53

I was wondering if anyone had any history on the King Ford Sales Thunderbolt? Vintage pictures would be awesome.

My dad purchased the car in 1985 from Jim Price who worked at King Ford in the parts department. He then restored it back to original. Over this winter we plan on getting getting the car running and hopefully running a few races this year. Due to very time consuming jobs, the thunderbolt has not seen daylight since the reunion at Carlisle.

You can send me an email at [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Scott Barnes

4. Hi Scott, good to hear you will be getting the car back out. I'm good friends with Tony Conover and remember seeing the car at his place early on in the restoration. Hopefuly you can bring the car back to Carlisle this year for the Lightweight Galaxie/Thunderbolt reunion being planned.

Here is a link for some vintage shots of the car. They are for sale also. If you contact John about the photos tell him Jody sent you...

http://jdurand.smugmug.com/Buy-Images-Here

5. flattrack53

flattrack53

Hi Jody, My dad Gary Barnes is best friends with Tony. They spent a long time restoring this car! About three years ago, we had Bud Shellenberger up to our house and he told us some pretty cool stories of the car. I think it would be great to get the car to Carlisle this year. I will mention Carlisle to him tonight at dinner! John has some very cool photos on there in which I will be purchasing. Do you by chance know of any other websites that will have any pictures of the Mercury Comet Cyclone B/FX car called the "Heavenly Comet"?
    Thanks,
    Scott Barnes

6. Scott, I'm not sure about the Comet photos. Was that the car Tommy Thompson had and that is still around?

I've seen several of your dad's cars at Tony's. I also work right up the street from your dad's shop at Providence & Joppa Rd.'s.

Check over in the 64/65 Comet thread. You might come up with some photos there.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of Bud's Ranchero? That is hard to find photos of.

7. flattrack53

flattrack53

No, but that is funny that you mentioned Tommy Thompson. On Christmas Eve my family and I decided to go down to Pierces Plantation and we sit down at the table and look over to the left...Theres Tommy! He was celebrating his 48th wedding anniversary. He is doing good and in great shape. He also still owns the comet.

My dad purchased the Comet from Wayne Conover back in the early 1980's. Yeah, he is still at the same location next to Towson Town mall. The car community really is a small world. Everyone knows everyone. He is going through the car now and getting ready to put it back together down at the shop. I would like to find detailed photos of the car as we are going to letter it up back to original. I will check out the Comet thread.
    Thanks,
    Scott Barnes

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Off topic...but he asked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. flattrack53

flattrack53

I was over on the shelby forum (SAAC) and never even heard of this forum. A gentlemen posted a thread about thunderbolts and said there was a whole section on the HAMB and posted a link. Today at work, I read up to page 78 :) I have to say you guys are very helpful.
    thanks for posting the picture 64cyclone!
    Scott

10. I remember when Wayne had the B/FX Comet but I never knew it was that car. It is a small world...

I'm planning on stopping by Tony's shop tomorrow.

11. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Hey Fella's I'm Trying to start a social group, JUST FAIRLANES. Post your rides, projects, and take about your trials........ Thanks Jeff

12. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Okay but where is your site?

13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Welcome to 2012. Let's keep this thread alive!

Since this is a new year, does anyone have any Thunderbolt photos that have not been posted on this thread yet? There has to be more old photos stored in boxes or albums somewhere that you took at the track years ago.

14. flattrack53

flattrack53

I believe Wayne still has a B/FX Comet.

15. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Which B/FX Comet would that be? Do you have any pictures? Please post on the 64-65 Comet thread. Thanks.

16. MT63AFX

MT63AFX

Mr Lyall, love the photo of the 63 LWGs with Mr Holbrooks signature. I've owned the M/T Galaxie for 34yrs. Some of the people here are amazed that anyone would dare race these old, original cars. The Thunderbolt Owners Association used to put on a nostalgia racing event for Super Ford Magazine at Milan some 20yrs ago with many T-bolts, Dennis' included, non-Ford AFX cars and it was the only time I'd bring mine out to compete was these yearly events. I basically was trying to find out what would break each year, lol. One year was the clutch disc, another year, snapped both axles, later at Martin 131 windowed the LR I had since 69. Replaced the LR with a TP from Clyde Detrick and sucked a valve and later on snapped a rocker shaft. Nothing like seeing and racing the oldies, much better than walking around a museum, imo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  17. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

This picture was taken at Sturgis, KY in 1967. Owner/driver was Don Castrup-Indiana. He had purchased the car in 66 directly from Rufus Conner owner of Conner Ford. Key Ford was a sponsor for him at the time.

Len Freebern

18. taglioni

taglioni
    from WA state

Only took several years.........this was taken at Creed Raceway in VA Beach. 1 Thunderbolt original picture scan.jpg

19. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

MTX63AFX:

I am glad to hear you are still having fun with your '63 lightweight. In 1969, after working on and racing the FE engine for 11 years, I got to a point I felt confident in my engines durability, and that of the driveline. But throughout those 11 years, we chased the weakest link from one end of the power train to the other. For example, a better cam meant higher RPM, which meant you chased the engine problems the extra RPM brought, and then you chased the power train failures down the driveline the higher power brought, and so forth back and forth. I got to where I did not fail a FE engine or driveline part in late 1967, 1968, and 1969 (until I used the Boss 429) racing in NASCAR, AHRA, NHRA, match racing and testing, running almost 500 runs a year. However, I did not run things to failure, as I had a maintenance schedule where each item was replaced after X-number of runs. When I went to the Boss 429, the learning and breaking process started all over again. The result of the many years of engine and drive line improvement and development means there is some good stuff out there, but it is very expensive. And you won't find much of it at swap meets either. If I had to race these old cars on a budget, I would be real careful with how hard I ran them. Based on what I went through in the 50's and 60's, I can easily feel your pain.
    Have fun, stay save, and take care of that piece of history you have. They ain't makin' 'em any more 'ya know.

Dave Lyall

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  20. 62RatRod

62RatRod

Im thinking about starting a 4 door thunderbolt build.. My aunt just has her old 67 fairlane going to waste at my grandpas house. Thi thing that inspired me though was the fact that gramps wants me to help him pull the 6 banger out for his little ranchero, but there's two 400 long blocks just chillan next to the car. They're not goin to do anything with them and I don't think my aunt even knows her car is back in the woods. So the more I get to looking at the car and the motor then back to the car, I start remembering a story this old man I worked with used to tell me about his car.. Can't remember what it was but he said he started with a 390 n had 427 pistons put in, prolly had it stroked, as well as some other machinist wizardry.. The moral of the story is he used to thnk he had the baddest car in Vegas till one of those big badass thunderbolts pulled up next to him at a light. He said they both took off wide open wheels at least 6 inches up in the air but the bolt pulled on him. He said that his motor was only like 425 cubes with everything done and that 427 came balanced and blueprinted ready to race from the factory. Nowdays it wouldn't be hard to push a 400 ford to over what the thunderbolt was makin, drop it in that fairlane and get some ram air scoops for the inner headlights and I'd have the beginnings of a 4 door thunderbolt for the cost of helpin my gramps build his sawmill... I need to get down there ASAP cuz I think I'm in love with it. I'll take some pics n post them next time I get a chance

21. havi

havi

400 Ford? That's what I'm using. Except stroked out to 434cid. It's for my '62, and only cuz I'm one who likes to be different. I'll guarantee the shock towers will be impeding.

Now back to your Thunderbolt viewing pleasure.

22. 62RatRod

62RatRod

Tell me I wouldn't be eatin impalas up!! Lol im excited.. I want to c a thunderbolt race a 427 stingray ;)

23. 62RatRod

62RatRod

Never heard of it but it sounds cool.. I'm used to hearing about Chevys cuz that's all my dad ever liked except for his dodge dart. What's the stroker goin in?

24. havi

havi

'62 fairlane 2dr post. I originally wanted to recreate the Tasca Ford '62 with a 406, but then I seen Larry Moran did a beautiful remake, and so I opted to go my own way instead.

Attached Files:

25. 62RatRod

62RatRod

My mistake I just did some research and the abandoned fairlane isn't a 67 it's either a 62 or 63 idk why I though it was 67.. And we're talkin fairlanes here lol I need some sleep

26. 62RatRod

62RatRod

Sweet.. Yea i like a small car with a big motor lol biggers always better n my book. How much can u punch out one of those 400s? I mite c you somewhere on tha street and need some more cubes to haul that extra luggage lol

27. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Actually the racetrack is called Freedom 7 and the town/state is Creeds, VA.

Len

28. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

This photo was posted last week on another HAMB thread..."History Iowa Dragstrips - New and Old." It is the Thunderbolt that came from Dick Walters Ford in Cedar Falls Iowa.

Info about photo as shown below was also taken from the same thread.

[​IMG]

"The Ford Thunderbolt above my above post was first owned by Carl Moyer and came with an automatic. It was a slug and Moyer changed it to a 4 speed. It was not red when Moyer owned it. John Cort bought if from Moyer and painted it red and raced it for a number of years. John sold it to a guy in Pleasantville, IA who wrecked it at Eddyville. I understand it is still around here in Iowa and is being restored."

29. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

........ and everyone gone makes what few survive worth exponentially $more$ .

Tom S.

30. havi

havi

amen!