Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dealership Openings- And Their Invitations... Somebody School Me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elvisaurusrex, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I was given this glass Cadillac Dealership opening plate by my grandpa-in-law a few years ago, I am still in shock to have come across it and I have no idea where he got it from. He worked his whole life in a lumberyard and bought antiques- someone else lucked out, because he sold his '34 Ford truck for 5 grand a few years before I met him. All I know about that was that it was "complete in boxes" :eek:.

ANYWAY, the plate is inscribed:

Dealers and Staff
    of
    Nabers Cadillac Incorporated
    cordially invite you to attend
    The Grand Opening
    of their completely new
    Cadillac Facilities
    At 2600 Harbor Boulevard
    Costa Mesa

(dated) 1967​
    Must've been a hot-shot who got this thing in the mail one day, because it's no joke! Any car maker, especially GM doing this NOW...

So, has anyone seen anything like this? Other fancy doo-dads or invitations for dealerships? I know it's post-64, but I can only imagine what else is out there.

Attached Files:

2. sololobo

sololobo

Never seen before by me, but I am diggin this one big time, how cool! The old saying, they don't do stuff like they used to fits here! WOW! ~sololobo~

3. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

BTT!!! Gotta know if anything else is kicking around like this...

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i believe it's an ashtray. i got a big box of similar printed ashtrays out of an old junkyard long ago. lots of advertisements for banks, GMC dealers, products etc.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Candy dish. New car introductions were a real big deal in the fifties and early sixties. Usually the second or third week of September right after school started. Showrooms had the windows papered over and cars were delivered in the dead of night or with covers so you couldn't see them on the transporters. Really good dealership customers were invited to preview showings with finger food and adult beverages. It wasn't unusual for the Cadillac or Lincoln dealerships to outfit the salesmen with tuxedos for "opening night". Carbon arc lights were parked in front of the dealerships like a Hollywood preview. It pretty much went away with the 1964-1/2 Mustang introduction in April.

6. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

Your descriptions brought back many fond memories of new car introductions. I still remember my father taking me down to see the new '48 Kaiser-Fraser's and the searchlights in the sky.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like that one was probably sent out to people who had been customers of the dealership when the dealership opened the new showroom. Get them to drop by for cake and coffee and sell them a new Cadi.

Denis4X4 nailed it though when he mentioned the "new car" intro date. That was a hell for big deal up into the 60's. I don't remember it being as big a deal when I worked at the Pontiac dealership in the mid 70's but the Cadillac dealership across town always made a big deal of it every year up until 1977 when I moved backup here. Several Cadillac owners in Waco would show up on that morning to trade their last years model for the new model and had done it every year no matter what the mileage on the car was. Some of the trade in's were already spoken for before they ever hit the lot.

My mom drove me up to the Studebaker dealership the day that the New Avanti was first on display. It just so happened that was the same day that the Monogram Big T was on display at the Cloverleaf Hobby Shop a few blocks away so I got a twofer that day and got to see two cool cars.

In the early 60's the new cars were always hid out in the back warehouse or lot under cover until they went on display in the showroom on announcement day.
    When the 64-1/2 Mustang went on display the first one at the local dealership was a baby doll blue six cylinder that must have made 20 test drives past my house to the golf course and back that day. One of the girls a year behind me in school got her dad to buy it for her and she drove it for years and the family may still have it as far as I know.

8. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

That's what I was looking for- I like the excitement that bubbled up before the release came out, they knew how to get you kids hooked... Mr. 48, that is cool you saw both on the same day, what a thrill that must have been!! They knew how to sell the idea of a brand new car- get the rich customers drunk and they will like your cars more...

Denis, I think you are absolutely right about the candy dish- but I wonder what other gimmicky stuff was put out for the same purpose... You're a pretty good writer, can't see anyone explaining the ordeal they made of it all much better.