Register now to get rid of these ads!

That HURST Shifter Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Jan 29, 2011.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

I don't know what this plastic emblem came off of, but I have it stuck above my rearview mirror. Probably came from some 70's thing.

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Muttley

Muttley

They are still available new for $12.95 at Summit. ;)

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. Thanks Mutt. Sounds fair to say the Hurst Mystery Shifter I bought for a lasalle side shifter isn't actually a Hurst then. Still, it's all complete....just curious who really did make it now!

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

NOS Mystery Shifter on a '50 Olds transmission

[​IMG]

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Also many had a round stick.....;)

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. freebird101

freebird101

I love the mystery shifter, it is probably my favorite shifter.

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Like the comp plus dealer sign,the white t handle was the shit in the early 70s

8. Original Hurst shifter out of my non Hamb friendly 1974-1975 era Street Freak Street Machine-had it rebuilt by B&M/Hurst. Kinda disapointed when the shifter housing came back silver plated instead of how the original 1974 version was-black phosphate. The guy told me over the phone it will look exactly like the original and I never questioned him. The chrome however is flawless and the engraved Hurst logo is just as new. I was afraid they were going to buff/bury itin chrome but they never did. It is as sharp as the original.

I did buy NOS '70's linkage in the box because my originals were corroded and the threads had froze up the adjustment nuts. The boot itself is original to the car circa 1974 but I bought a new non correct Super boot just for the trim ring because my original was bent up

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  9. Love the Hurst stuff especially the vintage stuff. I have a few pieces laying around and a factory dual gate in my Supreme. Great stuff keep the thread goin' w/more pics!! I'm a subscriber!!
    Scot

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. That housing looks like the Hurst Auto/stick shifter housing. Does anyone know if the Auto/stick was the predecessor to the promatic? To me they look basicly like the same shifter, with a different housing.

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

I just scored another Ram Rod Super Boot, NOS, in a better box than my other one is in!

We have the Mystery Shifter decals available, as well as the "WARNING" decals for the dash.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

got either one of these bad mofo's layin round Kevin?
    i lust after these

[​IMG]

13. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Wow. The 4 speed auto Lightning Rods I've only ever seen photographs of. And as they were made at the end of the Lightning Rod manufacture, I'd say they are the rarest. I only wish I had one. That would be one of the few Automatic Shifters I'd build a car around.

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

my uncle has one is his 55 chevy------ive been lookin for one of my own for years!

whered you get that wht handle?

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

heres a hurst dual gate i just sold

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

I sold a really nice Auto Stick awhile back but couldn't find any info on it. When did they introduce this model? The action and construction are top notch, except the hinky plastic cover.

Will they work with the newer replacement cables?

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

same here man... i'd totally build a car around a 4 speed hurst lightning rod setup. dude i knew back in the early 90's had a 4 rod in a late 70's el camino... car was a mullet wagon to the nth degree, but the shifter ruled.

18. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Anyone know where a large Hurst Shifter sticker for a sail panel can be sourced?

19. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

In my '55 210. Needs to be shortened by about 2 1/2".

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Deuces and neilswheels like this.
  20. roseboystoys

roseboystoys

How bout these
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

The first Hurst shifter I ever saw was being installed on a 3-speed transmission in a 59 Impala / 348 / 3 deuce set up. What was a bit different than the ones I have seen since is the Chrome curved stick shaped to fit the bench seat was all one unit with the knob being two halves screwed together sandwiching the flat stick and being shaped, when all put together together like a short stubby barrel laid on it side. These two halves were a clear candy orange in color. It fit your hand rather nicely. This was in around about 1962. I have not seen another like it since. I have often wondered if maybe it had something to do with it being a 3-speed model as it seems many more of the shifters are seen on 4-speeds.

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 1st Hurst "twin pattern" shifter ad I have found is in Dec60HRM,3spd only with the yoyo type knob.

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. 1932roadster

1932roadster

Very Nice!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  24. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

I'm just posting a some pictures of linkage I made for my Hurst Super Shifter for my '66 Fairlane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Love all the cool Hurst memorabilia. Cool thread!

25. derbydad276

derbydad276

I wish they still made the auto stick

I like it better than a lokar

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. engineerjoe63

engineerjoe63
    from Ocean, NJ

Has anyone ever seen a Hurst T-Handle that is marbelized white? Any info on it? It came on a spare shifter in a 1967 GTO I bought a year ago. The discoloration is not dirt, it's embedded in the handle. I've never seen one like this before. Any help would be appreciated. Thx. Joe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i used to see them in oldsmobiles---the new ones u can buy on ebay are just aluminum t handles painted white ---grrrrrr

my uncle has one in his 55 chevy---ive been looking for an actual one for at least 15 years---no luck--id be interested in it if u wanted to sell

28. Here's the set I have ...If I ever hit the Lottery , I'll build a Gasser around these

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I have a few but only 2 have homes, Vertical Gate was bought new years ago and I could never part with it, will get another run in my gasser. L-Rods are in a non hamb friendly.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. So those decals are 60's correct?
    what color were the shift balls in the 60's?

deucemac and lothiandon1940 like this.