Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making beads with a press??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Jan 3, 2012.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Looking around and not having any luck finding info.. Might be called something else but im looking for info on doing beads in a floor pan with a press or a system where you would build a jig to press out shapes in sheet metal.. I build a small one today that mounts in a vise and for what it was, it worked good. So now I would like to try and build something a bit bigger to put beads in floor pans. any posts out there on this type of metal work??

2. wrench3047

wrench3047

3. chevy59409

chevy59409

there was on e but i dont remember which one but it showed putting beads on the floor pan by putting a pipe or rod on the floor and beating around it .looked like it worked ok i will try to find it

4. find the thread High tech firewall beading, the IC way! ElPolacko shows how he built some dies to stamp out ribs in an "A" firewall. You could use the same idea to build dies to do floors. I stamped some reveals in a dash panel using a similar approach.

Attached Files:

5. fitzee

fitzee

6. fitzee

fitzee

Forgot about that site..thanks. Has to stay clear of sites like that. puts my mind in a spin and I get all kinds of crazy ideas.lol..

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Heaven forbid YOU should get crazy ideas.....:eek: Hahaha

What the hell are you press forming now!?!?
    "Hello Kitty" floor pans are so last week....:p

8. budd

budd

so here is some tooling i made to bead the floor of a RPU, the die (bottom) is open ended, when i want to end the bead i place a small tab in the die so as to form an end, the punch (top) is 3" long and plug welded to a plate 4-1/2" long, this allows me the room i need for the removable tab to work, the tooling is made of 16 gage, now in this case i had to shrink the panels at the end of each bead to allow for the shrinkage caused by the bead, i'm useing a 15 ton mechanical press brake.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, it wasn't a press, but I put "beads" in the bed side panels of my Diamond T with an 8' brake.

Brian

Attached Files:

10. fitzee

fitzee

Budd this is what Im looking to do.. so you want to build a long bead you just keep pressing the metal out??How much do you overlap on the longer beads?? oh the steel your pressing what gage is it??

11. budd

budd

the overlap can be as little as 1/8", if you look close you can see i didn't have my tooling lined up perfectly and can see where i moved forward, a little more care and you would not be able to see where one pressing ended and the next started, and then in my third pic you can see the tab i use to end the bead, it is just sitting there, i place it there at the start and then remove it till i get to the other end and place it on the other side to finish the bead, you will never see it when it's all done and painted.

12. fitzee

fitzee

So with the longer beads did you start in the middle or at one end?

13. budd

budd

i started at one end with the tab in the bottom die, after the first hit i remove the tab and slide the part along and press again over and over till i reach the end, then i place the tab back in so it makes a nice finish, the punch width i have is 3/4" and the die opening is 1", so thats a 1/8" clearance, when i place the tab in the die i try to make sure it is spaced 1/8" from the end of the punch as well.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've been thinking about making a die for my Iron worker. Problem is it really doesn't have much of a throat.