Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever had this problem with UPS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat-N-Low, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I shipped some A/C parts to a member in Buffalo on 11/7. The box arrived at his house and it was totally destroyed, and the parts inside were ruined. The box was sent to a UPS facility for the claims investigation. Today, the local UPS Store that I used to ship the part called and told me that they had a check for the insured value of the parts, but that I was shit out of luck on getting reimbursed for the shipping charges.

I have been shipping parts all over the world for over 20 years, and I am very familiar with the way things need to be packed. The box was double-walled, the top and bottom was reinforced, the parts inside were bubble-wrapped, and the free space inside was stuffed tight with bubble wrap. I am amazed at how damaged the parts were. It looked like the box was dropped from about 25 feet onto the concrete, and I'm being serious.

Am I screwed on having to eat the shipping, or is there away I can contact UPS corporate and fight this? It seems 1000% wrong to me......I paid UPS to ship my parts and they damaged them, so why should I have to pay for their shipping screw-up?

Yep, it's the last time BROWN will do anything for me...........

2. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Just look up ups shipments on YouTube, you'll see why...

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

UPS is an acronym for "Use Purolator, Stupid". You need to speak with UPS corporate, and still I doubt they'll do anything for you.

4. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

you think ups is rough on products go to the airport and watch them handle your luggage.no respect anymore.

5. Ditto. Some think that Fed Ex was the only one to get in trouble recently.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sgAq_KnDIPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. Koz

Koz

I've alays had good results with UPS but FedEx pisses me off every time. Like mentioned above, speak to corporate.

7. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

This means the UPS store is getting reimbursed for the shipping, instead of you.

I ship UPS all day long, and whenever there is a claim, and UPS pays, they always reimburse for the actual UPS shipping.

The UPS store you used is a franchise. They are getting reimbursed for what it cost THEM, yet keeping the money you paid them.

I'd bitch like hell.

8. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

+1 - Call 1 800 Pick UPS and start asking for managers.

I'd ship through My UPS online and avoid the UPS store since you do all your own packaging anyway.

A tip for critical items - Insure them for $1000 or more. $1000 value makes it a High Value item and it gets special handling, gets put in a separate location in the truck, and gets signed for at every handoff. Won't guarantee safe arrival, but it increases accountability dramatically.

9. I've gotten a few things here from UPS that were pretty mangled, must be the Buffalo attitude.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

to get back the shipping charges it must be claimed at the same time as the claim for the damaged parts. the same goes for fed ex

11. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Attached Files:

12. Black Primer

Black Primer

Don't get me started. I go out of my way to NOT have things shipped UPS.

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

:mad: It must depend on the area you live in, most are good some are bad. I always get to know the driver in my area and being friendly works. The UPS in my area is excellent and I've never had a problem with Fed-X either.

"It always pays to talk to the horses head and not his ass." Good luck and get some satisfaction.

CRUISER :cool:

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daughter works for one of the major "membership" box stores in their call center and a good portion of her day is spent on the phone with UPS over claims. All I am going to say is don't order an LCD tv and have it delivered by UPS as they seem to break as many as they get delivered in one piece.
    In my old job I used to receive up to 30 packages a day via UPS and only remember one problem in six years and that was when they "lost" a 60+ lb wooden crate of hammers for a hammer mill that I had to have or else. I imagine that box is still being used as a step in some UPS center in the middle of the country.
    I'd have to think that the big problem is the caliber of the help they get to load and unload trucks in the middle of the night. Many of those aren't looking at advancing at UPS and don't give a rip about what happens to the packages or contents.

15. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

always use usps never had any issues & great to deal with. prices are always cheaper too !!

16. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

I would look at the UPS store. They make money by doing the packaging.
    I doubt they make any money on the shipping charges.

17. russd

russd

5000k$...for the high value...

18. nfleone

nfleone

You have to claim the shipping charges at the same time as the damage charges.
    If you send a part and you decide it is worth $150. You need to add the shipping to
    the value. Eg $150 DECLARED VALUE FOR THE PART plus the shipping lets say $45.
    Your total declared value should be $200 in round numbers.
    I own an independent shipping store and UPS/FEDEX does not refund ME the shipping charges unless I submit a claim for the item plus the shipping. And you DO NOT file a claim for in my example $150 for part and $45 for shipping as a seperate line item.
    You file for $200.
    Most UPS STORE owners don't seem to work in their stores, many have staff that don't know how to file a claim. Sometimes the owners does not evenknow how to ship a package.

Nick

19. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I know someone that use to work in a ups facility im not allowed to say it was me but im not going to say that it wasnt.... But i know first hand how the packages are treated going on and off the trucks... I would never UPS a thing...

20. UPS won't let me ship an item to someone using their account number unless I go to their main terminal here in town. Was kind of a dick about it. FedEx I can just check a box on the Ground form, write the number down, and away it goes.

I was in the FedEx terminal here years ago for a job interview and the conveyors do go quite high in the air - if one jams, the offending package is knocked off with a stick, straight to the concrete floor. Anything I ship I try to pack with the idea it's liable to take a beating, and overinsure it. I can't imagine UPS is any different.

21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Thats logistics"

Dean Martin is whirling dervish-ly in his grave.

22. metalix_421

metalix_421

kinda ot but I bought my wife a dyson for christmas and when it got to the door it was in rough shape as well the hose was hanging out of it smashed to shit and the dyson was in shattered in the box.

23. I contacted UPS corporate several years ago on a problem I had with the UPS store and they told me that they are franchises and can pretty much charge what they like etc. The store is probably trying to pocket the shipping and you need to contact corporate.

I shipped some carbs last year to a fella back east and he told me several times that the carbs were trash and he was going to have to replace the baseplate etc. Said they looked like they had been dropped. I had them insured but he wouldn't send me pics so I was never able to sort it out. Anyway the carbs were functional when they left here and well packed so I have to assume that UPS really screwed it up somehow.

We got several expolded packages for christmas, you could tell they tried to tape them back up. I think that they have just gone down hill with their service just like most everyone else we need to deal with.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You'd think UPS (and other shippers) would, at some point, realize the container was trashed and the stuff inside was damaged. Seeing that, the container would be turned around and shipped back to the originating UPS facility. A manager there would then return it to the sender and, at the same time, compensate the sender for shipping fees and the cost of the damaged contents. That way the guy on the end of the string doesn't have to play games with both UPS and the shipper to see who is going to fix the mess and worry about when they will get what was ordered. Gary

25. williebill

williebill

UPS buys so many cardboard boxes for repackaging broken stuff,that the boxes are delivered to UPS by freight trucks.Talk to anybody who loads trucks at their terminals,and ask what corporate really cares about.And I'll drive 15 miles to the closest terminal to ship stuff from the customer counter rather than go into a UPS "store". The difference in costs are significant.And that's not for packaging,either.My buddy who's a regular UPS driver makes about 80K a year,which helps explain why the bumper I just bought from a Missouri HAMBer is costing $122 to ship to Tennessee.

26. Its funny last fall the ups guy brought me a box that was damaged and he wanted me to open it ans make sure that the contents were OK. He said if not he would have to start an insurance claim on it. There is no ryme nor reason to it. I think a lot of it depends on who is handling the material.

27. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Simple solution,
    Use an American Express Card to charge the shipping.
    If anything happens just contact AmEx and they take from there and immediately
    reimburse you account.

28. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Sucks!!! Reason why i hate buying/selling certain parts on line...

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

For me UPS would be the last shipping option. U.S Postal Service cheaper, faster and safer. I can't imagine why UPS shipping takes so long and gets so beat up.

30. Once the outer circumference exceeds 96", the price to ship USPS goes way up, and UPS is the less expensive choice. I always go Post Office until I exceed the circumference limit.

Say what you want about the Post Office, but I have had great luck with them over any of the other major carriers. On this deal, the buyer requested UPS, so I went that route.

I sent a very detailed letter to UPS Corporate today and I didn't hold anything back. We'll see what happens when the smoke clears.