Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happened to all the re-chromers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tatersgravy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Yes, as a matter of a fact I do. You might want to research this in depth.:rolleyes:

I am glad Josh is on the HAMB, thanks for your input Josh!:)

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Time to begin an "Abolish the epa" movement",... Along with a few other gov't agencies....... The chrome we DO get is nowhere near the high quality stuff we're accustomed to !

4TTRUK

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

YEAH!
    High quality chrome is so much more important than children's health. :rolleyes:

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I AGREE COMPLETELY:rolleyes:

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Um, which other government agencies? I can think of two, but the third one escapes me.....

6. steelcityolds

steelcityolds
    from pittsburgh

Has anyone used Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie, PA? I am from Pittsburgh, and looking for a reasonable chrome shop close by. I talked to them and they seemed pretty nice and reasonable. Not sure on their quality of work, based on the fact that I don't know anyone who has used them yet.

7. Arominus

Arominus

The irony is, of course, that the replacement CCFL's have mercury in them so if you break enough of them you could need that hazmat team.

Anyhow i won't miss the old incandecents, Halogens all the way. Ive been running them for years.

8. Lets get this back to chrome and poisoning little kids and leave the Gvt stuff out of it eh? ;)

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

SteelCityOlds...call Ogden Chrome in Ogden, Utah...they are a great chromer and will pay for shipping both ways. I've used them for my Cadillac stuff and Gator out of Florida has used them so Pittsburg is not that far out the way for them...

Talk to Charlie @ 801.394.9449...tell him Jetter in Denver sent you...may not be good for a discount...but he'll get a kick out of it...!!!

WWW.ogdenchrome.com

R-

10. steelcityolds

steelcityolds
    from pittsburgh

I appreciate it 40studedude, and I'll give him a call. Not always is a reference worth a discount, but maybe some special attention to the order, and that's all anyone can ask for. I guess the reason for me looking close is I like to support semi local businesses, and at the same time know / see the person I am entrusting with my car part.

11. steelcityolds

steelcityolds
    from pittsburgh

Rechroming by state...Does each state have their own standards, or is it a blanket over the nation? What I mean is, can you get better or less expensive chroming done in Michigan versus California (just an example) because of the EPA? I know it's a Federal agency, but I just wasn't sure.

12. rld14

rld14

I'd think that as a general rule a place like Utah or Michigan is going to be cheaper than LA or NYC simply because of costs of doing business in general are cheaper.

Federal law trumps state law, the marijuana dispensaries are a great example of that.

BTW, Love your sig.

13. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

True. Also, each state can have its own enviro. reg's that get stricter the EPA's reg's. Then if the shop is within city/township limits, the city can have its own rules and permits ($) on top of that.

We are outside of any major cities, so local municipality isn't a concern other than paperwork to let the Fire dept. know what we have and how much of it, in case of a fire. Being in IN, we have IDEM on the state level, which costs us much more than the EPA just in permit $. The fact we've had to pay thousands not for laws broken, but for permits, tells me it is about making money more than protecting the environment; but it's certainly better than nothing.

And the idea that regulations hinder the ability to provide top notch chrome plating is false. The regulations mandate the treatment and handling and tracking of chemicals, not their uses or availability. The same basic chemicals are used as before, and the EPA is not an acceptable excuse for bad plating.

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for putting facts, reason and experience into this discussion. I've seen photos of your fine work; obviously doing a quality job in all aspects of your work is very important to you, it goes well beyond simply beyond making something shiny.

A company that doesn't care about environmental or safety issues probably isn't going to give a damn about producing a good product either.

15. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

In my opinion the best
    Librandi's Plating
    Middletown, PA 17057
    717-944-9442

16. steelcityolds

steelcityolds
    from pittsburgh

I also appreciate your response. I don't know if anyone else wondered the same, but I know I can't be the only one. The more you have to pay in fees to be in business, obviously this cost has to be passed on to someone. I never meant to question the quality of anyone's work, just the cost associated.

17. A lot of them died from cancer and or lung desease. :eek:

The EPA basicallty made it not cost effective for the mom and pop chrome shops to stay in bussiness.

18. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I think the EPA just needs to be throttled back a bit.
    Getting on the backs and forcing the closing of junk yards that have been there for years just doesn't make sense to me.
    Regulating dangerous stuff makes sense...Provided common sense also applies.
    Like any other un-checked bureaucracy (FBI, IRS, etc.) they want/need to grow and so they put their noses into stuff not in their intended charter. Bigger means more people, promotions, and higher paygrades to them.
    10 cars sitting around an old barn in the middle of nowhere is NOT what they should be about.

19. ironpile

ironpile

"epa":(

20. How about the fact that there is so much less call for chrome plating any more. It has been completely eliminated from the collision industry for years which I would guess was their biggest customer.

People tend to forget that restorations/hot rods and customs are a tiny industry in the grand scheme of things and we seem to continually think should have a huge base of supliers and vendors to supply us with what we need.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Posting it once would be enough :rolleyes:

22. Special Ed

Special Ed

Lighten up Francis. Two entirely different threads about two weeks apart is hardly enough to get your panties wadded-up over, is it...? :cool:

23. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

I have used Qual Krom in Erie PA. He is still using hexavalent but he cannot do bumpers.
    I would avoid Bumper Boys in Cal. and Nu-Chrome in Mass.

24. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

agreed, stay away from bumper boyz.

can someone tell me why some chrome plate looks like it has a blue hue to it and some look brown?

25. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Hexavalent is the original. Trivalent is the 'environmentally friendly' chrome. The appearance is different.

26. Bumper Boyz in Ca. they travel the country east to west at car shows. Also, check Hemmings Motor News.
    Tony

27. chuckyNLA

chuckyNLA
    from SoCal

Happy Hoppy,

The blue in on the back is a sure sign of acid copper being used. Sometimes you see it but not always.