Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rod institute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jayride, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jayride

jayride
    from kentucky

anyone got any new info on the hot rod school in rapid city. i have been in contact with them and am very interested in attending and want to eventually work inthe field. i looked at some old posts but looking to talk to some graduates. i know its exspensive and i hope to get a grant when they get fully accredited. anyway hope to get some posi feedback

2. sawzall

sawzall

dont know a thing about HRI except that I believe it was started by the fellow who started the wyotech? program?

I would be interested in knowing just what accreditation are they attempting to get?

check that detail out carefully.. having worked at a campus of "ITT TECH" previously. I can tell you that even though they were "accredited" many of my former students were disappointed to learn that their credits were worthless at just about every other school..

3. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I do not know anything about them, But in my experience most trade schools prepare you for ENTRY level positions. Might be better off going to work in an established shop and get hands on experience. Not trying to shit on your Corn Flakes. Just saying that is what I have found.
    I work in aviation and see a lot of guys come in that went to high dollar schools and are licensed.They are stuck with thousands of dollars in student loans and have no real world experience.
    Why SPEND money to learn a skill if you can find the right place and EARN money and earn the same skills?

4. skwurl

skwurl

That's what I was thinking. I have worked in the automotive field for the past 15 years as a technician. I never went to a trade school or college for it. All the guys we have hired on from trade schools haven't worked out so well. If you want to learn mechanics go to a good community college.Learn the basics They have produced some great techs. Then go work in the field IE restorations Hot rodding. Another suggestion I might make is don't make your hobby your job. It makes it real old real fast.

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

THAT is the best advice right there.

6. exactly why i didnt get into it, decided after highschool

7. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Another suggestion I might make is don't make your hobby your job. It makes it real old real fast.

I agree 100%, I got into bodywork because I enjoyed it as a hobby,I spent 9 months in school,Got my entry level job,Ended up HATING bodywork.

I was hoping to have the "dream job" of building hot rods.I ended up working on late model Cadillacs and Chevrolets that had hit deer,I fixed 27 deer hits in a row before I got a break,I got one that hit a bear!

Look at all your options and choose the best for you.

8. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

i am a graduate of HRI. PM sent. if anyone else has any guestions please message me.

9. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Hot Rod Bones,

Set us straight bro, what's the skinny on H.R.I.?

10. my experience is that most tech schools the credits don't trasnfer. If the school isn't really well known in the industry more often then not the diploma and a buck fifty will get you coffee at denny's.

This is not just mechanics schools but also machinist schools, welding schools, electrical schools drafting schools and etc.

This is not an affront to HRI, it is just an observation.

I am a firm believer in education just don't expect to go to any trade school and start at the top.

Someone else already mentioned that one should not mix career and hobby. Let me affrim that this is also true. One should in most cases avoid mixing carrer and hobby.

11. chubbie

chubbie

i toured HRI in Rapid City twice. i am very impressed! looks like you have to have a project,and there were all kinds! don't know what it cost....don't care, i learned the hard way, the skool of hard knox...thats expensive. my points don't transfer till its time to get the work done. do what you love and you'll love what you do!

12. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

I was going to attend it a few years ago but am undecided now.
    As far as don't make your hobby your job... I did just that and I still love every minute of it. (Hopefully will still say that in 50 years)

13. Also, Jamie, the welding instructor at HRI is here on the HAMB and a good teacher/welder and all around nice guy. He comes to our Saturday breakfasts in the winter.

14. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

Sorta OT
    But I'm really looking into going to School of Automotive Machinest in Houston. Anyone been there, know of someone that has gone?

15. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Another alternative. Not a complete hot rod school but Mcpherson college in kansas has a 4 year accredited degree in auto restoration. You work on anything from a Franklin to a '57 fairlane to a duece roadster. Im a sophmore this year and love it. Before deciding to go here all I knew of was wyo or uti and thats not what I wanted at all.

16. chevy69

chevy69

Graduate here. I was in the first class to go through the entire program back in 08-09 if anyone has questions send me a msg

17. swappy

swappy
    from Rapid City

I talk to someone at the booth at counts Said they were thing about a open house When Stacy David Come in. That would be a good time to find out what is going on

18. English as a second language?:rolleyes::p

19. JJK

JJK

Jaime is good people, he was my instructor at Wyo Tech. He has a wealth of knowledge and talent.

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There are a number of ways to make a living in the hot rod industry without pounding panels, welding or turning wrenches. While I agree with those that say making your hobby your advocation will lead to burn out, I think that there are plenty of opportunities to participate in the industry without compromising your enthusiasum. My fabrication skills suck, but I can write and I understand marketing, so I got a job at an ad agency specializing in speed equipment ads. Made a Very nice living, met a lot of neat people in the industry and still have a passion for hot rods.

21. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

Attached Files:

• end.jpg
      end.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  22. Very funny, but sad and true

23. codeblu

codeblu

Just curious, might another option be to enlist in the military in a transportation or motor pool type career field?

24. plan9

plan9

If young and single that would be a good idea. Going in as a weekend warrior wont net anything, it will need to be full time.

25. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I was just watching an ITT ad and on the opening screen for just a second there was a disclaimer stating credits weren't likely to transfer.

26. In my experience, most tech schools like HRI and Wyotech are a waste of money. I went to a small trade school to learn beginner body work and i learned a lot. It only cost me 30 bucks plus expenses for any material i needed.