Register now to get rid of these ads!

Here is my ultimate? Modify the body on my 54 chevy????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cakes, May 16, 2011.

1. sbaker

sbaker

i would drop it about 3-4 inches in back and 5 max in the front, radius the rear wheel wells, scrap the 454 for a 409 with dual quads and get rid of those front wheels. im an idiot though.

2. cakes

cakes

Well, so far, ive been working on the drivetrain, Stuck in some new bearings, slapped on a tunnel ram. Got some modern aluminum heads, not by choice, I couldnt find a set of vintage heads. Dont worry they are painted black Installed a new timing set and picked up an M21. All I need now is a bell housing and clutch set up. Anyone have any suggestions for a bellhousing and clutch for a BBC? Do they have an internal hydraulic slave cylinder for a Muncie? As soon as its running well then the suspension and body mods will commence.

Oahu the photoshop looks great. Thats about the look I am going for. Perfect stance. Thanks alot.

3. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

yeah this^^^^

4. Algon

Algon

Do they have an internal hydraulic slave cylinder for a Muncie?

Do you mean a hydraulic throwout bearing? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRE-82870/

I'd suggest using a beefed up "stock" linkage and a Lakewood bell with a stock pressure, high grip clutch.
    Hydraulics have advantages but it sucks pulling the trans just for a leaky seal which can then ruin the clutch. It can get expensive in a hurry and with fenderwell headers there should not be any reason space is an issue. I also recently had a close call where one burst on me in a heathly O/T vehical while sitting at idle. It had paid it's dues but I had always thought about that happening and now I'm not sure I'd run another in any case a linkage is possible.

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You're welcome, just post some pics so we can see your progress. I think this car is going to turn out well.

6. cakes

cakes

yes a throwout bearing, sorry, I had a long night of drinking last night. I appreciate the find. I have a better knowledge of hydraulics than traditional mechanical linkages due to my past O/T work experience

Ive got some pics of the engine and car at the house when I had it together and running last and its current condition. I will start a build thread soon.

7. badshifter

badshifter

If it is an ex drag car, and actually ran back in the day without radiused wheel wells, why would you radius them now? It was function a issue back then. Now it seems you are thinking about doing it for looks. Making something look like what everyone THINKS it should look like, which it already is....Does not quite make sense to me. But, in this HAMB era where the S-10 frame swap is the most common answer, radius away I guess.

8. I probably wouldn't radius either. A decent lowering and tires that fit inside the fenders is good for the car. It will look somewhat like what it looked like before but I don't see anything wrong with that.

That old Chebby is a good foundation for a very slick gas class car. I'll be interested in seeing it when its done.

9. hotdamn

hotdamn

I say do big smokey burn outs....

10. cakes

cakes

That would be the plan

11. if it were mine id lower the front about 6 inches leave the stock rear wheel openings leave the 10 spokes on it put the moon tank back on it and get rid of that scoop

12. cakes

cakes

the scoop is already gone and cut up for some brackets, now two aircleaners stick out through the hood. The moon tank is gone, but may be relocated to the frame as an radiator overflow.

13. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

i think id lower it both front and back.. i'd also leave the rear un-radiused because that was the way it was ran back when it was raced... besides i kinda like the semi-stock looking drag cars. good luck, and have fun.

14. CharliesChopShop

CharliesChopShop

Here is what it looked like a few years ago. It might steer better if you move the axle back centered in wheel well.

Well just look in my photos I'll post it there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012