Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whatch this guy on Classifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I saw those covers and they were nice. I would have jumped quick too. They were under-priced. That said, I clearly saw your "I'll take it" post. That right there was enough to tell me to back off and the deal was done. Second in line is fine, but a bidding war is not appropriate on this board. It's just not the the way to do things.

Although, I do I have a little bit of a beef as to what is considered "contributing". I myself post for sale and want ads in the classifieds. Just because I may not post a huge number of one-liner replies in the message board part doesn't mean that you don't contribute. That attitude is junk in my book. I'm an alliance member, I pay to help support this board. I also help others get further with their projects by selling parts I don't need. They help me get further with my project by selling me parts that I need. In all honesty my opinion is that this type of contribution is just as important if not more than 90% of the tounge in cheek one-liner replies that are typically posted and apparently viewed as "contributions". All I'm saying is that contributions come in many forms and just because they may or may not be in the classifieds really is neither here nor there. If Ryan actually thought for a second that the classifieds did not contribute something to this site, they would be shut down in a second.

In any event, I'm sorry yopu got screwed out of the valve covers. This morning I wished I would have been able to get a deal like you did, but this afternoon, I'm sorry to see it didn't work out.

2. Some people have stuff advertised other places and locally, but they need to be up front with that. Starting bidding wars ??? Been watching too much reality TV, think this is "Storage Wars".......

3. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

You guys are making me feel kinda bad here... I do more searching in the ads section than anything else.
    I don't usually sell but have bought quite a bit...
    I do however enjoy reading the post here in the message board, just dont have much to say. Some just tend to make up shit and hope someone will believe them and that's just not me.
    Hope that I don't fall into your bad HAMBER list. :eek:

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Re-read the original post.
    Look, if somebody posts a classified ad (here or anywhere) and you say "I'll take it" but the item gets sold to someone else--- you have no claim for breach of contract and you really can't complain that someone got there first or offered more money.

If the seller AGREED to sell it to you, that would be another story, but in this case there was no AGREEMENT. Sending a response to a classified ad does not make a contract, not here, and not anywhere else.

I said there are worse things--- there are certainly worse things like taking the money and never shipping the part-- things that are worthy of complaining about, worthy of warning your friends about, worthy of the bandwidth of this forum.

5. roundvalley

roundvalley

It would be interesting to know who screwed you with a higher offer after you said you would take them at the listed price.

6. d-rod!

d-rod!

while I agree wholeheartedly with what is being said here about this seller,in the grand scheme of things brigrat take some of your own advice and dont let reality ruin your day...move on

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

And Don to add to what you said, what is with the trend these days that when someone does something bad we let them off by saying ," well it could have been worse".

8. The seller DID Agree to sell them to the OP, having sent his email address for payment - RE-READ the Original Post ;)

9. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some other boards require a minimum number of posts on the forum that the classifieds are attached to before you can sell there . May turn some of the profiteers away if it was implemented here .

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Most of us are users of the classifieds, as much to sell as to buy. And agreed that some members are simply not big time posters on threads, some people are just more reserved that way. No one is saying those guys are not good HAMB members, they are. The ones that are suspect are the ones who ONLY post ads their entire tenure here.

Every forum I am on there are a certain percentage of people, and businesses, that use the site strictly as a marketing tool. Those are the ones that are not contributing. It seems the valve cover guy is one of those and not very apologetic about it.

Don

11. chubbie

chubbie

I listed a bunch of '55 chevy parts one time. i got several PM'S and questions about the parts and i was glad to try and answer all. one HAMBer PM'd several times and lead me to think he was very interested in the parts. when a guy PM'd and said I WILL TAKE THE PARTS how do you want payed?? when a new PM came and said OK i'll take all the parts. I answered back they were sold. he was not happy! and i felt BAD!! because i was sure he wanted the parts.... but the contractuall I WILL TAKE THE PARTS only came one time....he got the parts

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm on it......

Guys, just report it to me and I will address it.
    I can't watch every post / seller.

Send me a report going forward Ok ?

Thanks,

Cob
    Classifieds Moderator

13. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Even if this dope had another buyers interested in the parts before you contacted him he should have let you know. Whenever I place an item up for sale and get multiple emails of interest I always take them in the order they came in. Sometimes the first guy decides he doesn't want the item and I contact the next guy in line. That's the only decent way of doing it, I wouldn't go into auction mode. My word is more important than money. Now if I find out the first guy bought the part just to flip that would really piss me off. I know it shouldn't but it would.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wouldnt mind the not getting to buy the part thing , but the guy comes on and calls you a name to boot ? go back to ebay , and dont let the door hitya where the dog shoulda bit ya

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

He can sell them to who he wishes - that is correct but I won't allow guys to be disrespectful.......

I'm in search now of that valve cover thread to see what took place.
    If he posted it and his response is I sold it to the highest bidder then I will address it.

Give me a liitle time to gather all this in fellas.

Thanks,

Cob
    Classifieds Moderator

16. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

There are examples of people being banned for just using the classified and just signing back in under a different name.
    Example The guy that used to sell as The Johnsons is still selling under another name.

The moderators are doing the best they can considering the volume of traffic on this site

17. indyjps

indyjps

Understand your view, but I'd rather have guys on here parting out stuff and passing it to us that just crushing it. They may never build a car, just part them out.

18. acj

acj

You know if your word is no good then what does that say for that guy.

19. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

This type of stuff just comes with the territory of wheeling and dealing in cars and car parts. There is a lot of douche bags out there in the hot rod community.
    Just brush it off and hope the next guy is a straight shooter.

20. rlsteel

rlsteel

There his he can do what he wants with them. It happened to me, not worth getting worked up over.things have really changed in the used parts-car marketplace. RLS

21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Send me a report going forward guys.

I am addressing the subject party.

Thanks,

Cob
    Classifieds Moderator

22. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I've sold a few items on here and I have had a few guys want them but when I told them there was a deal pending they will usually say "if the deal falls through I want them". That is great with me but I would never even think of trying to get someone to outbid someone else for an item that I posted a price on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.