Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why cant you flip and axle????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hey guys
    I am in the middle of flipping the axle to lower my truck And as I was cutting the mounting pads I wandering if I really needed to cut the off.
    What would happen if I actually FLIP the axle???
    I mean what if pull the axle from under the truck and flip it so The right tire is now on the left???
    The mounting pads would be on the bottom like I need them to and everything would bolt right in????
    What would really happen if someone did that????
    Just wandering here

2. You would have one gear forward (a low one), and the rest in reverse. Do it, and let us know how it works out. Ha ha.

Xtrom likes this.
  3. Wouldn't it would move the car the wrong way.

4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Thats some demo derby stuff there

5. krooser

krooser

If you are talking about the rear axle you would now have 3 or 4 speeds in reverse and one speed forward....

I'd try to get to rehab before you self destruct...

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Yea, it would send ya backwords

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, kid I knew in the early 60's flipped the rear axle on his 50 Ford over to put the spring mounts on top so he could get a rake out of it. Lowered it down when he was done, put it in reverse to back out of the driveway and it went forward ! He put it in low and it backed up ! :eek: He had one speed in forward and 3 in reverse.

We all fell on the ground laughing at that one. :D:D Take a pencil and spin it in one direction then flip it over while turning it, you will notice it now rotates in the opposite direction.

Don

8. Haha didnt even think about that....A friend of mine mentioned it as I was tryin to cut the pad off and It got my gears turning and I wandered the same thing..
    I told him that If It was that easy Everyone would be doing it....

Dam it I gotta lay off the old No.7

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Mr gasket sells the pads I think the pn is 6820???? I cant remember but they are cheap

10. LostHope

LostHope

And wouldnt the fill plug be upside down so you couldnt fill the axle all the way and also your vent would be upside down so it would leak gear oil out?

11. Also, most rear axles have a vent coming out of the top of the pumpkin. It vents pressure as the gears heat up to keep from blowing seals, you would pump all of your gear oil out in a hurry! :0

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

12. Thanks dude...
    Yeah I been sober while thinking about all this so It didnt make sense,,
    I get it now.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even if it turned the correct direction, the oil would not flow properly, and you would likely cook it.

14. Another friend said this would happen too.

15. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Not to mention that the brake shoes and wheel cylinders would be all wrong....:D

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What was that movie when a bunch of kids flipped the cop's axle when he was inside eating?

17. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

Tractor supply sells pads in the trailer section. Nine bucks for a pair of 3".

18. juniorsrodshop

juniorsrodshop
    from nh

if you dont want to cut the old ones off you dont have too... you can just add the new ones on the otherside of the tube.... the ubolts will still go on. and your vents for the rear ened would dump fluid because there on the bottom like a drain. and what everyone else said above.

19. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

An interesting exercise in reasoning here. Since the direction of rotation of the driveshaft has not changed when turning the rear end upside down, the pinion shaft rotation has not changed diretion. Therefore the ring gear cannot change rotation direction. Where does the reversing come from??? Do the spider gears know something that none of the other parts know?? The oiling, brakes and other things are reason enough to not do it.

"Take a pencil and spin it in one direction then flip it over while turning it, you will notice it now rotates in the opposite direction."

If the pencil represents the pinion, when you flip it over the driveshaft is turning it the other way is it not??

****************** Before anyone else comments on this post without reading the whole thread please be advised that the light has been turned on. I don't want to hijack the thread. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  20. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

it's simple...you go backwards because the top of the tires are now driving the car....duh

21. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

It is simple, when you flip the rear end the ring gear is now on the opposite side of the pinion and this will drive the ring gear the opposite direction.

22. BJR

BJR

So... all you need is a marine engine that spins the other direction. Problem solved.

Xtrom likes this.
  23. If you flip the axle, The ring gear will be on the opposite side of the pinion.
    The pinion rotation will not change , one side of the Pgear is going up and the other side is going down.
    Putting the ring gear on the other side of the pinion changes the direction if the ring gear.

Edit, scooterseats types a lot faster. Lol

24. havi

havi

25. GREASER815

GREASER815

Ummm, your vent will become an drain, and you will go the wrong direction. Try it, maybe open up a whole new door we have never realized before.

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

You guys are looking at this all wrong,.... Go ahead and flip the axle like you were going to do,... then mount the body on the chassis backward,... it will be a rear engine, front wheel drive car with rear steer !,.... steering might get a little tricky,.. but at least you won't have to change those pesky spring pads.

27. priceless...
    thats a good one.lazyness the mother of invention;)

28. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Yes, I just went out and did it with a rear end so I could see what was happening. It is why one had to be careful when assembling a Model T rear. They could be assembled with the gears reversed.

29. I worked at a hay ranch in the early 60s and they had 3 "hay rakes" that were old chevy trucks with the bodys removed and hydraulics to operate a loader that ran off the back of the truck.........driver's seat faced backwards and those guys flipped the axle over to get 4 reverse gears and 1 forward...plugged the vent hole and drilled a new one to vent and fill from...worked fine.

30. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

you would go backward in drive and forwards in reverse.

MrC.