Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Discussion: Ardun Style Heads For a Cadillac Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 38FLATTIE, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Ah, of course- the same way we'll get the oil there!

Rich, or anyone- what do you know of these engines that have been modified, and have part of the combustion chambers in the cylinder bore?

2. Manche

Manche

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I ran a 302 GMC with a Howard head some time ago. Now called Arias head. The deck on that head and the Wayne head is flat and the combustion chamber is enterily in the cylinder bore. Much as some aircraft engines. On the GMC part of the idea was to allow a shorter piston without custom rods.. Of course 348-409 Chevys as well as 430 and other MEL FoMoCos have flat deck heads. It's not really rare. PS according to Land Speed Louise, in 1984 my Howard bumped it's record by the greatest margin of any records that year. Not that I was fast. It was a slow record. But the head worked.

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Mike has been busy 'modeling'.

This rocker assemble is based on the Hemi style head, and current location of where the pushrods would come through. The intake rockers are awfully short, and we may move the pushrod path.

This mockup is just an initial drawing. The rockers are 1:1, and will be changed.

Attached Files:

• 100x.png
      100x.png
      File size:
      127.8 KB
      Views:
    • 101x.png
      101x.png
      File size:
      115.4 KB
      Views:
    • 102x.png
      102x.png
      File size:
      145.8 KB
      Views:
    • 103x.png
      103x.png
      File size:
      140.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

The chrysler hemi's have bigger angel betwine the valves.
    With your style the valves be verry long.
    The good thing with your style is the chanels is verry stait but the heads will be verry high

[​IMG]

One more thiing about your style is they will give higher compression with flat top pistons.

Maby it will be an isue with the long valve shafts the maybe give sealing problems and big load on the shafts.

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Stefan, we are playing around with a larger angle between the valves. This will also help us fit larger valves in the chamber.

Chrysler can get away with the larger angle between valves, because they had a larger bore diameter, and bigger chambers.

7. Here´s a sectioned hemi head for comparison. It´s a touch flatter than what you have!

[​IMG]

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks James D! I'm going to cut up a 241 head in the morning, to get this view.

As Stefan mentioned, these head designs are taller than stock, but only by 1 inch (5 inches tall). We may go back to the 4 inch (stock height) head, but only if this taller head does not flow better!

Obviously, this is only an initial design drawing, that will fit the car. There are still a LOT of issues to work through.

Should see some more CAD models in the next week or so.

9. plan9

plan9

If you need measurements and close up pictures of Ardun ports/chambers let me know.

This is an early set (front water inlets), center inlets were later. Might be better to have center inlets for space, the flat cad blocks are physically bigger no? Arduns hold a lot of water ... do flat cads experience overheating problems like a Ford?
    [​IMG]

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Cool stuff there, Mike!

The Caddy flatheads run cooler than the Fords, because of the exhaust location.

I may take you up on the measurements, but at at the moment, we are designing it after the hemi heads.

11. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, Wish you the best of luck in your research on a Ardun head for hte Caddy Flat Motor. Thaty Caddy motor would seem to be a popular one for a car built in the mid to late 40's. Will saty tuned for your progress.

Dave

12. NintendoKD

NintendoKD

Wonder if direct metal laser sintering, or DMLS would work well for something like this? Still a ways down the road though, got to get the initial design off the ground first. My eyes are glued, I am very interested good luck in 2012.