Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage KART guys??? I got this 1/4 midget...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonnycola, Sep 24, 2007.

1. pstfrm

pstfrm
    from michigan

I picked up a older 1/4 midget a couple years ago and have been unable to find much info on it. Maybe someone on here might recognize what it is and give me some info. I would like to restore it and it is missing some parts. thanks for any info.

Attached Files:

2. pstfrm

pstfrm
    from michigan

3. dinzzy

dinzzy
    from Hemet,CA

I know the kid in #58. It is Tommy. We would play in the L.A. River between races. Tommy, This is Greg Dinsmore

4. guffey

guffey

watson jr a.jpg

watson jr d.jpg

watson jr.jpg

I thought I would bring this thread back. Does anyone remember this roadster style half midget. It seems to have had gold scallops on the nose and tail. gold number 8 with a red pinsripe and red upholstery. Engine in the front.

5. If anyone is interested in an "Offyette" body only.I know of one here close to me...PM will work

6. noboD

noboD

Find Doug Shiller, he lives in Texas. His father built all the Offeyettes. I may have contact info if you want it.

7. I have Doug's contact info. Yes, he is the man for Offyette, or any other vintage 1/4 midget info.

8. KGB911

KGB911

Just found this thread and Love the stuff! My father is the founder of Pacemaker 1/4 midgets and my brother and I race for dads company many years in the 50's. Dad is alive and well living in the same house he bought in 57 in the San Fernando Valley.I am looking for pictures of my family at the races in the 50's. I am also in the market for a Pacemaker basket case to restore.
    Danny Ruth

Attached Files:

9. swhite

swhite
    from Glendora

Well, it looks like I'm about 5 pages late. I found this thread by accident. Here are a couple of pics of my Race Craft. I raced here in So Cal from '59 to about '63. We had tracks every where in those days, Pomona, Monta Vista, Duarte, El Monte, Lancaster, Brea, Chino, and the L.A. County Fair had a track a few times too. The inmates at the Chino prison built us a track once. I don't remember everyone I race against, but I do remember running with Danny McKnight who later went on to win the Turkey Night Grand Prix at Ascot. The pictures attached are from the Pomona track that was on East End and Mission and the action shot was taken at the Chino track. We ran Continental engine with Amal Carbs. Some guys were running a Bose engines.

Scott

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  10. martyman

martyman
    from el cajon

did you ever race in el cajon or ramona? and if you did do you have pics?

11. tnign

tnign
    from So.Cal.

I believe this is a picture of the 1957 California tour of Johnny Parsons Jr., Tommy Mayfield and his Father Roy Mayfield, that Dean Lowe posted a few pages back.

My Father, Ken Nign, was co-owner of Race-Craft. Inc and this picture was one of the few remaining Quarter Midget images he still has.

Thanks Dean for posting the Race-Craft, Inc. Ad, my dad didn’t keep a copy of that one.
    -TN

Attached Files:

12. That is indeed JP Jr and Tommy Mayfield. Also present that day at the Upland QMA track were Duane, Pancho, and Dana Carter, and the Lowe Brothers.

13. tnign

tnign
    from So.Cal.

Dean, have you posted about your early racing days and/or pictures?

Even though I grew up looking at the "Race-Craft checker flag and waving midget rider" sign, outside the Garvey ave. shop, i never got to experience the 1/4 midget scene. By the time I was old enough to drive (around 1969) My dad had stopped making them and gone into other products. He didn't talk much about why he had race car and flag as his company logo, but he did keep a few pictures around the shop.

I've just recently become interested in classic 1/4 midgets now that I'm restoring a '57 Race-Craft.

I'd like to learn more about the history of the classic 1/4 midgets days. Any recommendations on good sources (Books, sites, other threads posted here?)

14. DrJ

DrJ

I think Go Karts were invented for kids who grew too big to get their legs under the steering support hoop of a 1/4 midget but refused to stop racing the size!:cool:

15. Do a search. I have posted on other 1/4 midget threads, the Cageless midget thread, and the vintage sprint car thread.

This is Kurtis kraft 1/4 midget chassis #1. I raced it from 1955 through 1959. I won the first ever national Championship for 1/4 midgets in the AA open fuel class at Phoenix in 1957. The car is currently in the Justice Brothers Museum.

[​IMG]

16. This is my brother, Jack. He had just won the Memorial Day 100 lapper in class B modified at Los Alamitos. 1959. Note the pillow stuffed in the cockpit. Also note the bend in the side nerf bar. By '59 we had a lot of experience under our belts, and had a "take no prisioners" attitude about racing! I won the 100 lapper in AA open fuel later in the day. A good day for the Lowe Brothers.

[​IMG]

17. swhite

swhite
    from Glendora

Sorry Bud, I haven't checked in here in awhile. I never went down that way that I can remember.

18. buttons

buttons
    from Plano,Il

Hi Guys, Just joined. I like all the vintage pictures of the 1/4 midgets. I had 2 1/2 midgets when I was 7 years old and raced against Rich Vogler in Addison, Ill and had 8mm movies of those good times. In 1967 my mother sold my last car. It was an Offenhauser with a fold up hood so that I could get in. The car was powered by a 3hp continental. She sold it for $75 boy if I would of known then what it meant to me in the future. Those were the good old days. Thanks Dan

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

does anybody remember a girl in the 60's name norma weatherbee? she was a very young driver and her father would build/work on her car's in their garage on the street i grew up on. they made a film about her and show'd it at our school in 66 or 67. i wonder what happen to them!

20. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

just purchased a racecraft, looking for paper sale flyers and info. thanks

21. debfish

debfish

I googled my grandfather's midget. And found this site... yep Preston Midgets :)

22. debfish

debfish

Yes.. my grandfather built them

23. Carlitos01

Carlitos01

Does anyone know what kind this one might be?

Attached Files:

24. noboD

noboD

How about pics of the suspension?

25. Carlitos01

Carlitos01

Ill post up more pics tonight. I took it to a shop so they can give me an estimate on getting it to turn on, but I should be picking it up today.

26. Carlitos01

Carlitos01

Here are some pics. Also does anyone know how much it would be worth?

Attached Files:

27. noboD

noboD

Ok, mark me down as I don't know. It kind of looked like an Offeyette but the new pics prove it's not. Offeyettes were monocoque, with no chassis. SOmeone here should recognise it. I don't think it would have been raced with that engine, but it should still be fun. What is the date on the plaque? looks in good condition.

28. Carlitos01

Carlitos01

it has a "51" a space then a "58"

29. alex5

alex5
    from rome

hi guys i'm searching some projects for vintage kart like this ....where i can find them ???:confused::confused:

30. 12packo94s

12packo94s

My dad Just picked this up and we are looking for infor on it!

Attached Files: