Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas on storing a car outside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Jan 1, 2012.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

I recently bought one of my dream cars and I can't wait to get to work on it. To do that I have to shelf my current project. It's a 46 Studebaker and it's stripped to the bare body. It's still painted but it is all apart only the trunk lid windshield and rear glass is in it. It is off the frame on a body dolly I built for it. I have put it out in my back garage to clear my shop space but I need that area to park my other cars that are drivable and not an option to sit outside.
    So here's my idea, wrap the whole thing in shrink wrap and then cover that with a tarp. My concern is will wrapping it like that cause things to sweat and condensate inside the car? Would it even be possible to keep it in good shape sitting outside like that? I'm thinking out loud here maybe my best bet is to reorganize the back shop and figure out how to keep it in there.
    Anyone else store something like this with good results? I'm open to any other good ideas you may have as well.

Thanks

2. A Rodder

A Rodder

I would sure think that you have to keep whatever is protect against the elements needs to be off the car.
    Can you build a cage so to speak around it then tarp over that?

3. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I wouldn't shrink wrap it. You live in a very humid area. Condensation is gonna kill that car. Tarp it and on nice days, let it air out. can you erect a tent cover over it?

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Tarps trap moisture, which is not a good thing for cars, obviously. I'd shoot everything with epoxy primer, and put it under a tent that breathes, or a carport, or look for a storage container for it. Or sell it. lol.

5. whoareyou

whoareyou

6. There is a boat storage place out here that will shirk wrap your boat for long term storage. I thought that was kind of a cool idea that might be useable for long term storage of a car.

Lot of boats in Florida, probably a place down there that does it. Might be worth at least looking into if you are talking about long term.

7. The problem with shrink wrap is like the others said, it will trap condensation inside. Boats aren't made of steel so it works for them. (unless it says Titanic on the side :D) I'd go with a tent or canopy type of cover, something that will let alot of air circulate around it. And oh yeah, be glad you live in Florida and not up here, winter presents a whole different set of problems....:eek:. That deal that whoareyou suggested looks like the ticket.

8. modeleh

modeleh

My grandpa stored his roadster and TBird outside for many years, he was a car guy, but for some reason they loved the trailer park lifestyle, so had no covered storage. He put a layer of cheesecloth on the cars first, then put on a heavy car cover, i think they were called technalon fabric or something like that. Then he put a layer of heavy clear plastic drop sheeting over it. Amazingly, the cars stayed in great shape, we still have the roadster in the family, 45 years now.

9. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Hi guys I've tried different ways to store cars outside and the best thing that worked was using a "shipping container" their 20 or 24 feet long and high and dry. I added some vents along the top and bottom and placed a fan inside on a timer so it runs for two hours a day to drive off the condensation. I put the container up on 6 X 6's and even run power into it so I have lights and power outlets. I've used it for two years and it's working out great. I think my total investment was around $2300.00 A Cheap garage. I tried the portable garage made from plastic and two years in there added about 10 years of deteriation of the car. Now things are good. Even in the snow and cold. Today 4" of snow and 5 below 0.

The Old Tinbasher

10. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Sometimes cars are better left out in the open than covered up. Just a roof on legs will stop water getting in.

11. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

I think the most important protection is having a moisture barrier from the ground.How many times have we seen the bottom of a car destroyed while the top side is in good condition?Just went to look at a 1969 vette with 25k on it.The car had original paint,interior,etc.It looked great until I looked underneath.Everything had HEAVY pitting and required a frame off.The owner said it was stored in a car port but had a gravel floor.Too bad it was a nice car.I suggest using rubber roofing material.It is thick and durable.

12. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

a car closed up keep the grass away and leave it out in the weather

13. Do not use any kind of plastic or other non breathable material to cover it, especially in FLorida. Some kind of roof to keep off direct rain and sun, like a patio cover or one of the portable covers the guys put up at a car show.You need air circulation all around and under it.

14. Do not use any kind of plastic or other non breathable material to cover it, especially in FLorida. Some kind of roof to keep off direct rain and sun, like a patio cover or one of the portable covers the guys put up at a car show.You need air circulation all around and under it.

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

Take a look at the Unwrapping a Model A post to see why wrapping is not good!

16. I think the Hamb hiccuped on my previous post..

17. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's funny I was just reading that thread after posting this one. Wrapping it is out. I spent the afternoon rearranging my two buildings and I'm close to being able to slide it sideways to the back of the parking garage and parking in front of it. If not I will try the tent idea for the time being.
    Thanks for all the ideas.

18. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

charlie is dead on right on this - even concrete will allow moisture to come up to the car if it was poured without poly layed down first. Parked on any surface with a slight grade, lay down a black 6-10 mil poly, then a car port type cover and you should be in good shape.