Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the Speed Shop that said it all for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Dec 27, 2011.

1. F G Ferris Provo, Ut

2. butch70462

butch70462

JAKE'S speed equiptment New Orleans,La. late 60's

3. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Service Center in Oxnard Calif.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Automotion in Indy...Indy's oldest and still best. gone but not forgotten, Gundermans,Scott's Performance,Bill's Speed Shop,Super Shops.

5. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Damn, after that picture of Linda Vaughn in a Gratiot t-shirt I can't even think. I'm out of here!

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

This one is easy for me. Been going to Honest Charley's in Chattanooga as long as I can remember. So glad Mike and Corky brought it back to life.... I've been friends with little Charley all my life.

7. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Rod Shop on East Livingston Ave. and Jegs on 11th, both in Columbus Ohio. I spent most of my Saturdays in the late 60's and early 70's at the Rod Shop sitting on my Schwinn Sting Ray watching them work on cars and testing them out behind the building. I still spend most of my money at Jegs.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Radke's in Portland, Or. It's still there, and still pretty good. Better than most the others, and way better than the chain stores!

9. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Hawthorne Auto Parts , NY ....................still there

10. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

I haven't seen Van Iderstine's shop listed here yet. In north Jersey in the 60s and 70s they were THE speedshop. The original shop was on highway 10 in Whippany. Used to drive past there to and from work every day. Spent a lot of time and money there. Alway had good stock of items and very racer friendly. Sponsered lots of cars and record holders. I bought the tunnel ram and carb setup off a 55 Chevy record holder they used to sponser for my D/MP 64 Chevelle I ran at Island Dragway in Great Medows....still in operation. Ran great until I puked the bottom end out of the motor.....
    there was a thread a while ago on Pete Van Iderstine
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338177

11. melsfine39

melsfine39

GRATIOT was it in this area!, Detroit was a heart beat away and Gratiot was the holy grail of speed parts. I learned a lot from the catalogs I collected each year at the Autorama at Cobo Hall. I only went there once to buy seats for my Dodge van(which they were out of)in the late 70's but when I was a kid dreamed of buying blowers,intakes,slicks,or mags to trick out my ride and OH YEA! there was this PICTURE!!!. Mel:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  12. Budro35

Budro35

Way back when in the 60's it was Cates Speed Shop in Mansfield, Ohio and Jegs in Columbus, Ohio. :cool:

13. csf64ss

csf64ss

i believe you might mean "new york speed"? and machine shop...pete yacca..with big black barry at the counter.....castleton ave....new brighton staten island....next to DICK'S Delicatessen.......across the street from Austin Lally's flyn A super service with the outside lift......my whole family is from new brighton...liedy's shore inn bar...richmond terrace across from the gypsum plant...... i went to st petes h.s.

there also was another on hylan blvd dongan hills....during the "van craze" 70's.......vaniderstine speed...they had a few shops in the metro ny nj area......the 60's 70's was a great time to grow up in...inspite of the turmoil.........speed on brother!

14. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Ed's name was Ross, not Roth...my bad...Service Center opened on was down on Main St. (?) towards Costa Mesa from Santa Ana Speed Center...just south of the "main drag" from the Tustin Marine Base (sorry it's been 40 years.....may have been Edinger st.) They were on the right side of the road when headed south....

15. Old Heap

Old Heap

Southern Performance Center, Mercury Blvd, Hampton, VA.

Central Auto Parts, Warwick Blvd (near Fort Eustis), Newport News, VA.

16. In the OKC area we had several shops, Corvette Center/Custom Auto Parts on S. May and the still in buisness Parr Automotive on NW 10th Street. Parr is more of a "street rod" shop these days but used to be the place for serious go fast parts. The father, Don Parr just passed away a few weeks ago but Cody is still working daily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

If you were in the Philadelphia area in the late 60's-70's it had to be either Ben Pilla's or Steve Kanuika's Speed Shop. Steve Kanuika was between my house and the city (Where we did most of our "racing") so they got most of my business. Ben Pilla's always gave us these cool round decals and when you're 17-18 with a hopped up '55 Chevy, you HAD to have them on your quarter windows! Good memories!

18. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Music City Rod Shop.... Main Street, Nashville Tennessee

19. Baxter's in Portland, Ore

20. Mine was Shaker in Granger Indiana, they did my machine work. I actually worked there as a "tank boy" cleaning parts my junior year in high school. I also used to go to Osceola Speed and Custom to buy used parts. Salay's speed shop in South Bend was a really good one too, I'm told. It went under before I was born. The Salay brothers actually competed in numerous Indy 500s. Another was Ozzy's speed shop in South Bend, but it to went under before my time. Ozzy aka Jerry Osborne, raced in numerous NHRA nationals.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  21. mike bourg

mike bourg

Peterson`s speed equipt and machine shop, englewood colo. some of you may have heard of ben, he was producing high volume oil pumps for the drag racers, he got to run garlits one year at bandimeres and blew his engine, but he was happy that he got to go up against garlits.. passed away from a heart attack at 46 or 47, lost a good guy then.

Mike Bourg

22. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

Fast Times when it was in Bonanza Shopping Center, Milwaukee, Wi., only go to the 'new' shop in West Allis in a pinch.

23. Wow, I thought this thread would have a LOT more interest than this!

24. Mallory Speed Shop, Richmond Virginia....I baught a lot of hp parts there back when,

25. early '60's' bell auto , jot horne & kenny parks were two of the nicest guys you would want to know. never to busy to answer dumb questions from a newby.

26. 59ab

59ab

Honest Charley's in Chattanooga Tennessee. Still have a handfull of decals that Honest "hisself" gave to me!

27. Early 70's.. Thrifty Auto Supply, Portland, OR. Not really a speed shop but they'd order anything and usually beat anybody's price. Open 24hrs a day too.

$59.95 Holley 600's
    $39.95 Cragars
    .49 cent Valvoline Racing oil
    Purple Hornies ....... those were the days!

1973, got a parts store job and received 40%-60% off retail, so Gary's Auto Parts in Oregon City. Anybody know Gary Hubbard? He was building and selling SBC powered Porsches back in the mid 80's, somewhere in SoCal.

Nowdays, Baxter's in Portland.

28. melsfine39

melsfine39

btt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  29. Tognotti's Speed Shop in Sacramento
    this place was a supermarket of speed shops
    Marin speed & Marine San Rafael Ca
    Rups Speed Shop San Rafael Ca
    Hat Racing San Rafael Still There
    Silvestries Speed Shop San Rafael Ca
    American Speed Shop San Rafael
    there was an other one but i do not rememder the name
    Gotelli in So San Fransisco Dick was a good guy later opened a rental yard in San Rafael then bought a frog farm in Shell Vill Sanoma
    mind went blank San Fransisco the dyno was behind the Cow Place

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  30. jazzbum

jazzbum

+1. love that place.