Register now to get rid of these ads!

new project my 34 , 5window gets under way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbooth, Dec 6, 2011.

1. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

update:

got some more done,made the bottom of the "B" pillars, fabbed up a inner rear panel and made a simple way of adjusting all the body with the use of some threaded rods and a couple of bits of angle iron, it aint pretty but it got the job done, still waiting on some steel to arrive so i can have a go at the floor.

Discovered that i had some box section that fitted perfectly in what was left of the original "B" pillars, just had to "let-in" for the hinge pockets and put some captive nuts on the back as well

sorry for the crappy photos

"B" pillar that will get "skinned" for the finished product but at least its getting some strength back in the body
    [​IMG]

inner rear panel (I like this bead roller thingy):)
    [​IMG]

simple adjustable frame
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Well i got some more done had a lot of dents in the body so knocked most of them out that i could get at but had a big dent /crease that i could not get at from the other side as the windshield header panel was there no option but to cut the thing out, straighten it and put it back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    didn't get much done during the last week except pick up some steel to make a floor, but yesterday had a good day so cracked on a bit. cut all my pieces of steel to size ,marked them out for the swages and with help of my mate got the floor made , well chuffed to say the least
    marking out
    [​IMG]
    running the swages in
    [​IMG]
    all laid out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Going to weld it all up and then get the bodyshell back on and attach it to the floor then at least it will be solid, then going to get on with the running gear cant wait to get it rolling :)

3. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Nice to see you're making good progress Bob. What is your vision for the completed car?

4. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Ha ha what a question Duncan,thats a long way off, but I have pretty good idea. just lovin it at the moment .....

5. I know you are over there in UK but I thought I would give you a source for repair panels. This guy is really good and I bought 1/4 patches from him. He does not have a website. I think he is getting one someday he said. You won't be disappointed. They are top notch repair panels. You got your work cut out for you. I have a build thread going on a 34 now as well. Cheers
    Donnie Smart
    Valdese,NC
    828-874-4609

6. Excellent work!!

7. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Thanks for that ,i did already have it and have spoke with him, i am also subscibed to your build thread and look forward to your updates on what is a great build you have going on.

8. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

thanks...

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You are doing some great work there! Keep it going!

10. redroaddog

redroaddog

great work!! like the all thread trick! going to be nice:D

11. Here,s another compliment for the floor, Looks great.

12. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Well finally got the floor all welded up and well pleased with how it turned out
    [​IMG]
    and dropped the body back on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also had a go at some patch panels
    [​IMG]

couldn't resist a bit of a mock up:D
    [​IMG]

13. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

Looking great Bob!
    All credit to you for creating your own repair panels. You make it look so easy!

14. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I agree , but it ain,t easy. I know because I,m struggling with one here.

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

lookin great, Bob!! that floor turned out so good, gonna be doing the same thing real soon.

16. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

maybe be its my "northern" mentality ( ha ha read tight git)

keep at it Garry....

Ha ha I will never get anything done now as I'm to busy looking at your updates, you have bigger balls than me!!

17. Nice work! That floor looks amazing!
    Did you form the patch panel for the tail section? And if so, care to explain how you did it?

18. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

I love these duild threads. their so insperational!

Your doing a great job! Thanks for documenting it on the H.A.M.B.

19. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Nothing too fancy i literally just made a cardboard template of the shape of the swage then set the rollers(step rollers) on the bead roller with a little gap and just played around and then just curved it over a steel tube:eek: I am off work this week so might take some more pics as i have got some more things i want to have a go at...

20. Bob...you're doing EXACTLY what I've done with my 5 window with two exceptions. I gave up on my super-junk quarters and bought a pair of S.A.R. roadster quarters and modified them to fit my coupe. And I cut my top 3.5 inches...
    Your body was in much better condition than mine, an old stock car racer...
    Good to see you're saving another one...and in jolly olde England!

Attached Files:

21. redroaddog

redroaddog

very nice the mock up looks great:D

22. I saw this and thought, "Wow, how can anyone save that," but you're making it look easy.

The project is focused.

The shop is so clean.

And the photos and descriptions are top notch.

Nice work!

23. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I love the floors, very nice work!

24. tinmann

tinmann

Excellent skills. Thank you for taking the time to post pics.

25. Subscribed and inspired.

Great build.

Thanks for posting, keeps me going on mine.

26. Cool. Thanks. That is pretty much what I had envisioned as far as the step rollers were concerned. Once again, fantastic work. I am taking notes...

27. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Hey i have been watching and subscribed to your thread as well ha ha 33/34 parts ain't to common over here i can tell you that for sure.....

28. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Well fed up of turkey and now New year has passed I have been back in the garage to see where i'm up too.I have ordered some rear panels from SAR but they haven't turned up yet and beginning to wish i had just made my own now that i am getting the hang of this metal fabbing malarky. So a few week ago I put the inner rear arches in after swageing them but was never happy with them as this particular 34 is a early one with the smooth wheel wells, so to cut a long story short i cut them out again and while I was at it cut the rotton back panels out as well....

No going back :-/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i got some more steel and knocked these up

[​IMG]

and these as well
    [​IMG]

These were made out of 16's gauge and my bead roller struggled but i got there in the end

[​IMG]

then set about putting them all in and managed to get a complete side tacked in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so all in all making good progress ;D

29. Nice work! I'm doing the same thing to a 34 5w. I don't have near the talent you have!!

30. Awesome progress!