Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions needed - Metal flake the roof and side or leave it alone ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953bel-air, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 1953bel-air

1953bel-air

The weather is turning cold again and the car is parked for the season. I started to make some changes to my car this winter. I added the extra grille teeth, one piece front bumper, fender spears (x-mas gift from my Dad) and the 57 Caddy wheel covers.

Yesterday, we just started to mock up and add the rest of the Bel-Air trim around my side windows. We were kicking around the idea of painting the roof and in between the 1/4 dividers. I always liked the metal flake look but never had the guts to do it. I know its my car and I should do what I want but I need some input on this before I dive in. I was thinking of two options:

1: Keep the Ivory base and add silver flake and clear on the roof and sides.

2: Change it up with a dark blue base and cobalt metal flate on the roof and sides

3: Leave it the hell alone

Fire away guys....

Attached Files:

2. That one I would leave...it looks just right

3. wouldnt change anything on it...

4. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I have to agree with the others, LOVE it the way it is.

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

Leave it the hell alone.

6. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

It's your car but I think it is PERFECT the way it is. If you must change something maybe a little design or flake in the white area on the rear quarter. Doing the roof would be a little much in my opinion. The car is timeless just the way it is. Classy and Cool :)

7. Do what pleases you! If it was mine it'd be done the way it is. Really neat car!

8. chevguy

chevguy

i'd leave it the way it is!

9. grynder

grynder

That is a really nice looking car. I would leave it alone and find another project to keep you busy over the winter.

10. steelcityolds

steelcityolds
    from pittsburgh

I agree Jeff, the car sounds great. I am on the other side on this one. I love the idea to put the silverflake over the ivory. The car is already custom (50'style custom). And its only paint on the roof. If the car was all original I'd say leave it be, but the way it sits it would look awesome in the summer.

11. senior fried

senior fried

Bingo !

12. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I like it like it is and would change nothing, but hey I ain't holding the title to it either.

48 Poncho

13. Royalscadillacs

Royalscadillacs

it lools cool the way it sits, but if you want to change it up go for it. Who says you cant paint the roof ivory again later down the line?

14. Orn

Orn

Thats a sweet car as it is. I wote for keep the roof white.

15. Looks killer AS-IS.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Leave it alone! Why would you do sixties style paint cues on a fifties mild custom anyway? Massive anachronism...

17. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Get it photo-shopped and see if you like it. At least it may give you an idea.

:cool:

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

What books you been reading...??? That '53 is not even close to '50's style...it's more stock...it hasn't been nosed, still has the door handles and deson't even look like it's been lowered...just because it's got wide whites and Caddy hubcaps, it's not '50's style...it's damn near stock....!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm, please point out what is not "original" on the car...other than the hubcaps...and why doesn't it look ''awesome'' in the winter...???

If you're into stock '53's, 53BelAir, then leave it alone...but if you'd like something a bit more 'kustom'...take off all the emblems, door handles, lower it 4 inches (no airbags), add some extra teeth to the grille, add Lakes Pipes and flake the top (altho that's not really a '50's kustom touch-that's more 60's), add some tasteful pinstriping and of course, a R & P interior...then you'd really have a '50's kustom...!!!

R-

19. steelcityolds

steelcityolds
    from pittsburgh

40stude......The car has been lowered about 4 inches. The added teeth on the front has been done...the styling is probably what a kid in the 50's / early 60's would do if he picked up one of these during that time. How would I know right, I was born in '79!!!! I just thought the flaking would look nice in my opinion. I never insinuated that the car looked bad in the winter or anytime. I meant the flaking would really shine in the sun light (hence the summer comment).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  20. I like it the way it is now.

Spend the time / money on some other mod.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It needs lowered another 4 inches...and several more teeth need to be added.

Nope, the very first thing would have been take off the hood and trunk emblems...and the extraneous chrome (spats behind the wheel wells) and spot it in with primer. I was 16 in 1959...

Then don't state "The car is already custom (50'style custom)" like you did in post # 12 above.

Then say what you mean instead of "but the way it sits it would look awesome in the summer." Is that not insinuating...???

Look, I just don't get it when someone says something is awesome when it's not...I grew up kustomizing those kinds of cars...I've seen it all ...well, most of it anyway...and a '53 Chevy stocker is not "awesome" or a kustom. I don't mean to jump on anyone's case, but if you don't know about something, simply don't say anything.

Now if you want to see my kustom, go here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build and criticize all you want. I have thick skin and my Caddy is done and I've been driving it for summer.

Hope all you guys have a great 2012...

R-

22. steelcityolds

steelcityolds
    from pittsburgh

Hahahahaha!!! First of all i never criticize anyone's ride. To each his own, and i appreciate anothers same enthusiasm. ok, well have a nice day, and thanks for your opinion. Did not realize someone cared so much about my opinion.

23. S.F.

S.F.

leave it alone...looks bitchen

24. S.F.

S.F.

Its lowerd with caddy caps, appears to have extra teeth in the grill too. Uncle had one exactly like it in 1958, HUGE amount of guys in the 50's didnt have enough money to pay someone to nose and deck a car...if they even know anyone that could...and if they didnt know anyone, they would do it in shop class. Alot of guys were ok with heating a few coils and bolting on a few western auto things and some extra teeth in the grill, as well as pop some lancers, fiesta, or caddy caps on it. I'd have to respectfully disagree with your comment, It is 50's style

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  25. Leave it alone......

26. its classy leave it, if and when u get bored with it then maybe do the roof,change the caps again. thats the beauty of less is more, you dont have to do a bunch of crazy mods to enjoy, and have fun with it.....

27. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Check out slickrick or slickrick83, I forget his name on here. He has a 54 4 door that's flakes if you want to see how it looks.

28. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I'd leave it the way it is. I like the fender spears too

29. GREASER815

GREASER815

I love it the way it sits. I would not change anything.

30. Cruiser

Cruiser

The car looks cool, I can see a little silver flake in some clear over the white roof to set it off. I'm talking a light flake not the heavy stuff you see so often. Whatever you do good luck it's a cool ride. :D

CRUISER :cool: