Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got a "Clunk" in my rearend !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rice n Beans Garage, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

O.K. Ha Ha, But I really do hear and feel a clunk when I put my car in gear.

It's a 9" hooked to a Turbo 350, checked the trans mount it was O.K., I think its in the pinion ?? If I tighten the pinion nut a little will that move it along the ring gear enough to stop the problem ??

Thanks in Advance and Have a Great New Year !!!!

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have a look at your U-joints first... Jack it up with both tires off the ground and wiggle the joints both front and rear, you might get lucky.

Don't forget to not get killed getting under the car..

Good luck, -Abone.

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

after checking the ujoints ,see if the pinion will move up and down,,also see if you can push/pull on the yoke..if it moves this way..theres your sign... just tightening the nut may fix it... but remember it came loose for a reason.good chance something else is wrong.. good time to open it up and see whats happening... being that its a 9'' and they havent made them since 84ish odds are it needs some attention..that is unless someone has been in it.... if the pinion is tight id bet on spider gears...

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sounds like a collapsed pinion bearing, had a similar occurrence with the 9" in my GTA Fairlane.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More fiber.

Check u-joints. Cross your fingers it is that.

6. squirrel

squirrel

lots of wear points in a rearend (and driveshaft) to cause a clunk. You gotta do some exploration...

7. Your horse shoes are just shifting a little.

Yes sounds like universal joints. Start with the least expensive and work your way up in cost.

8. burnout2614

burnout2614

If the ujoints are good and pin yoke is tight check the pinion slack. I drove a 60s F100 for 10 yrs that had over a quarter round. peace

9. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

i had one doing the exact same thing it cured itself going down the road.used rearend was cheaper than towing fee

10. X2 on a close check of the u-joints first, but...

Probably the pinion bearing crush collar has "relaxed". A lot of racers just replace the crush collar with a solid sleeve made from heavy wall tuning.