Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1938-1939 Ford Truck Club!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squigy, May 12, 2010.

1. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

It is like a rope in that channel that the tacks go into ;)

2. pex

pex
    from alberta

on that strip in my cabover there were 3 small blocks of wood about a inch thick screwed to it that the headliner screwed to. my truck on the salt on its maiden voyage.2k miles round trip. [​IMG]

3. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

By the way, congrats on the trip!! (my mate was there, even doing a day's scrutineering............we are both scrutineers here in OZ)
    anyway, Bill Jansen from Oz sent me a link to your pics, looks like a good road trip (p.s. what size wheels & tyres are you running? thanks!)

4. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks! I may try to form a piece of wood that extends further outboard for some extra support.
    Very nice COE ya got there! I like the color too... Congrats!

5. pex

pex
    from alberta

the tires are 235-75r-15's all the way around. the colour is grey primer with 15% aqua paint mixed in.

6. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

Thanks pex (for some reason I thought they where larger than that :confused:)
    Just thinking about my "pile of bits" of COE's I have stored for a "one day" project.

CHEERS

7. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Just bought a 38 yesterday, clean, Ford black and orignal. picking up tomorrow and will post some pic's. Needs tank boiled , change fluids, tune up and good to go. Ah yes and brakes..........Keep posting pic's love those 38's & 39's

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  8. On the issue of the square hole in the middle of the dash. The cutout was for an ashtray. '38s all had this cutout and had an ashtray from the factory. '39 does not have the hole. If a '39 has an ashtray, it's an add-on that was available from the dealer that attaches to the bottom lip of the dash.

9. HRs&HDs

HRs&HDs

I'm in. No pics now buy my avatar is pretty good. I love my truck. Did suicide doors on it .came out cool. Sbc, 2004-R, 3:08 10 bolt. It's a real highyway runner.

10. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

11. mlg, im in ga. and hunting a 38-39 project. can you find out anything on the one in your post? thanks

12. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

worked on mine today. :D finally getting back to replacing there rear frame section.

13. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

I would like to be in..............but I'm still looking for a truck.........Anybody know of any?
    Please PM me.

14. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

rear frame section replaced and repaired.

Attached Files:

15. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Nice work street rod lover, keep us posted on the progress......

16. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

mocked up rear end,installed posie spring. back on the ground finally. splitting the rear wishbones next. now i need to lower the front some.

Attached Files:

Greg Ham likes this.
  17. unkamort

unkamort

Sorry to come begging ... But I just cant get my head wrapped around how this hood latch works. Photo 1 shows the latch pin. Its indexed so I can't screw that part up (maybe). Pic 2 shows the latch plates and they appear to be keyed to each other... but only the thicker one rotates? Pic 3 shows my best guess at an assembly. Many thanks again to Hammers who helped me out with these pieces. Finely... Pic 4 shows the latch plate in relation to the pin. Which way is up???

Attached Files:

18. unkamort

unkamort

wrong pic for #4... and I;ll add one more... easy to see why I want this to work

Attached Files:

19. Blue

Blue

I believe you've got both plates 180 degrees out of line.

In your picture #1, in the hood "crossmember", you can see 2 small holes either side of the main shaft hole. The 2 tabs on the triangular shaped plate fit into those 2 holes.
    The 2 tabs I refer to are at either end of the long edge of the triangle, and have a small hole in each tab.
    So, the triangular plate goes at the top, on top of the thicker plate - the tabs come down through the holes in the crossmember - and the long edge of the triangular plate will be closest to the windscreen.

Now, on the rear edge of said crossmember, you'll see 2 holes where a flat spring attaches. The spring has a ridge that fits into a notch on the thicker rotating plate when the hood latch is in the closed position.

I'll try to get some pics on here.

20. Blue

Blue

See if these are any help. I've shown a pic of my spare catch but don't have the other plate.

Attached Files:

21. Blue

Blue

Pic #4 above shows the catch partially open so what you're looking at in the centre of the hole, is the V (worn) at the front of the triangular shaped plate and the other plate rotating away from it...

22. unkamort

unkamort

Thank you very much sir! Looks like I could possibly make a spring tab from a dizzy cap clip. I also see that it looks like I have the spring up-side-down. Dose the hood 'pop up' a bit when when the latch is released?

23. Blue

Blue

Yes your spring could be upside down.
    Looking at my catch mechanism, I see it's quite worn, in need of a rebuild - the hood doesn't "pop" up. If anything it settles down a bit when the catch is released.

One step further along?
    Good luck.

24. unkamort

unkamort

Yep... think I got a handle on it now! If anyone has a spring clip they would care to part with... in the market for a hood support too, I'd love to hear from ya!

25. orange39

orange39
    from Roseville

Happy New Year . . .
    Hey, are you changing the the suspension b/c it's going to be a better ride?
    Or just to get a lower profile?
    How wide are your rear wheels?
    Thanks,
    Dave

26. red one

red one

Sign me up,I'm in Toronto Canada and I'm beginning to thiunk that i'm the only one up here with a 38/39 Ford pk,,feelin lonely.

27. 1930FordCoupe

1930FordCoupe
    from The LBC

Some pics of my '39. Was a Minnesota farm truck until last November when it came out west. It is a work in progress, but I typically drive it 4 or 5 days a week. Does anyone know if the horn in the picture is correct for a 39? I bought it from a really nice guy who took it off a '40, but I am trying to keep the truck as original as possible. Thanks!

Attached Files:

28. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Really good looking truck, love the fog lights and the bumper guard.

29. 1930FordCoupe

1930FordCoupe
    from The LBC

The fog lights are my turn signals. Still trying to figure out what car the bumper guard is off of. . Someone said possibly a Buick

30. billcox@kgbc.org

[email protected]
    from Sacramento

It is the same as my horn so a good guess it it is correct. do you have any pictures of your rear bumper and tailgate? I'm trying to figure out how to install the rear bumper so that you can see the license plate.