Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning Aluminim Valve Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pasta, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Pasta

Pasta

I have a vintage set of Cal Custom valve covers for big block Mopar. While they aren't RARE parts they usually cost about $75 a set in the condition mine are in. A real clean, or polished set will set you back $150 to $200.

Having said that, I'm trying to clean them up without scratching the base material too much, so rather than attack them with sandpaper or Scotch Brite pads, I've experimented with the drain opener which I use to remove anodizing on aluminum prior to polishing. Although it does brighten them up (and even cleans out the black stuff from the minor pitting they have in spots) it is a VERY time consuming process. The covers are NOT anodized from the factory, just bare aluminum.

Regardless what I've used so far (drain opener, oven cleaner & Greased Lightening...all which contain lye) I will have to stay with the parts constantly moving the cleaning agent around with a chip brush or toothbrush if I use these products because if the cleaner drys on the part it makes streaks and blotches on the covers.

Do any of ya's know of a commercial cleaner or other product that is available in large quantities that I could buy inexpensively, that I could perhaps soak the covers in?

I have a round pretzel container here that will accept 1/2 of a cover at a time, but in order to immerse the cover in it, the solutions I currently have would have to be diluted with water, so much so that I'm afraid they won't work very well....... if at all. I'm also not crazy about doing them 1/2 at a time either.

The drain opener seems to work the best so far, but at $7.00 a quart I'll be in this thing for a bunch of money if I bought enough to fill a container.

If anyone has any ideas that go in a different direction.....I'm all ears.

NOT trying to restore these to any kind of previous condition from a value standpoint, just trying to make them look nice again so I can put them on my car.

I tried them on the engine already, and even in crappy condition, they have a REAL nostalgic look to them, and thats what the rest of the car looks like. I can't wait to get these on there permanently. They make the 440 look even bigger than it already looks! LOL Once they're ready to go on, I'll need some old school wing-bolts to hold them down!

Thanks in advance.

George

2. I've used "etching mag wheel cleaner" on aluminum intakes after the major grase and oil is cleaned off.

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

Are you against having them blasted?
    I just had a tri power intake, 2 FE finned Cal Custom covers, and two finned buick drums walnut blasted for $30. I can't say I like the brownish color, but they are clean and would probably soda blast in just a couple minutes.
    Just a thought.

4. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

A few years ago when my partner and I were running a dirt track sprint car we bought aluminum brightener at an 18 wheeler truck place. They use it on wheels and fuel tanks. Some of the tracks we ran on used some pretty corrosive elements in track prep and aluminum parts dulled very quickly. I was pretty pleased with how this stuff worked just spray on and hose off.

5. robber

robber

I like "Mothers" Mag and Aluminum Polish on my valve covers and scoop. Its easy to wipe on and wipe off and its relatively cheap to buy.

6. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Mag wheel cleaner or walnut shell blast.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds to me like you need some sort of buffer.

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Amen ! I always use Mother's...check-out any of my Rides in my Albums, including The Invicta that you see in my Avatar.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

9. Pasta

Pasta

Thanks for the tips, guys.
    There is a truck stop not too far from here. I'll see if they have any aluminum cleaner/brightener.
    I've used wheel cleaner before, but it always seems to darken, or even blacken the aluminum.
    Not against blasting at all. I was afraid of the cost for that service, but if you had all that done for $30, I might give a local company a call next week.

Thanks again, guys.

George

10. indyjps

indyjps

look at Lowes / menards for a wall paper tray, plastic tray about 8 inches wide and 2 feet long. your covers may fit into one of these to submerge it. Always try to find a rubber maid thats close.

Heres a thread with some good ideas. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654734&highlight=cleaning+aluminum

kinda sounds like youre trying to use what you have around the house already. Comet Cleanser or bar keepers friend? Ive used it before with a bristle brush, pulls some of the oil staining out.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Napa carries a pretty strong acid "aluminum cleaner". I degrease first, soak the aluminum with a spray bottle, brush the acid in real good while it is fizzing, and rinse real well. After drying I buff the aluminum with some very fine steel wool.
    [​IMG]

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

So you all will know
    Castal super clean has acid not unlike wheel cleaner and also takes off grease - fuel stains and oil like crazy…. But is hard on polished aluminum like wheel cleaner …….. save all the steps and use some …. Zep purple is about the same or better.

13. A Boner

A Boner

Try a S.O.S. pad.

14. fullthrottle53

fullthrottle53

I guess that I am old school! I use a polishing wheel with different grades of compound. If there are scratches I sand them out and then polish.