Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Perfect Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FunnyCar65, Dec 26, 2011.

1. I wonder what back glass was used for that car CFN?

2. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

The glass looks to be a stock 51 window that has had the lower corners trimmed and fitted with a modified 49/50 rubber trim. Definitely a nice touch. I like the front fender flares as well...wider over the top and tapered as they drop down the wheel opening. Very tasty!

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

well there is always this!:D

SORRY I HAD TO!:D:D

Attached Files:

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "Perfect" Merc is tough to decide. The first I thought of was flamedabone, and Jeff
    Sled. They have to be as close to perfect as you can get. Since they are already brought
    up, here is a couple that should be near the top. I borrowed some pictures from Rikster's
    site. Sorry...

Kelly Pucket's Merc has to be on top of the list. The Cat sure knows what profile means.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pauls Bragg's '51

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kool post..

Happy Trails, Mick

5. laloszephyr

laloszephyr

This five one is clean

6. laloszephyr

laloszephyr

7. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Fender skirts, visor, 2"-3" drop, duals w/ glasspaks (we often used '60-'61 Ford resonators) and hole in rear footwell for booze bottle disposal (and firecrackers at times) covered with wood when not in use, blue dots, '55-'56 merc hubcaps (ones with crossbars), porta-walls, fuzzy dice from mirror w/ matching dice valve stem caps and license plate bolts, '51 mercs had ribbed taillight lenses made from '54 merc lenses, license plates dangling from rear bumper with club "topper" (a real cop magnet when plate not stationary and bolted to car), dash knobs made from chrome drawer pulls, chrome upper radiator hose sections swipped from under gas station sinks, neckin' knobs, colored plastic vent window air deflectors (little ones that mount at top), clear plastic diamond plate designed seat covers, small pillows that match upholstry in corners of back seat, curb feelers, spring based antennas or dual antennas on rear fenders mounted on low angles. I keep closing my eyes and seeing more and more and am sure I forgot tons of things but for some reasons out of the 3 years ('49,'50 & '51) the prominant sleds I remember were '51 4 doors with 3 speed OD drivetrains. oh yea, if you did not have full wheel covers you had red wheels with ribbed trim rings and dog dish hub caps. The main factory color for some reason seemed to be olive drab green.

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Ya know I have looked and looked at it and I think it is a windshield out of something like a pinto....I wish I could find out, that is a fantastic look for a 51, takes some metal work around the rear of the roof kinda flattens out compared to the stock merc glass but really looks nice in my opinion. This is something different that actually works on a merc, this guy found a way to make his merc stand out. Jim

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know...it's weird...we are talking about perfect Mercs and I see a pic of one I built and I see about 10 diffrent things I don't like about it...

Thanks for the kind words about that old girl. -Abone.

11. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

alot of great Mercs on the HAMB you guys have been a big help.Can't wait to get one bought so I figure out the direction I want to go with it.

12. HaHa. Love it.
    I wish my memory was that good. :D

13. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

All that talent, and humility too :)

14. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

I always liked this one a lot...

Attached Files:

15. This pic I took came out too dark, but I thought it was interesting how it shows the lines of my chop. Let me just say that I wish the back of my roof sloped down more, so I don't consider my chop to be the best, just interesting to compare styles...

[​IMG]

16. That's a cool picture ^^^^^ looks good.

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That is very very very very nice :D

18. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

This may be a little lighter...

Attached Files:

19. The Guys in Nor-Cal may know it but have you seen the Merc in the 2012 Rodders Journal Calendar under the Bridge , Shhhiiiitttt , slick !!

cad

20. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

^^^^^^Yep, saw the calendar, it's Javier Mejia's Merc. He absolutely nailed it.

21. I hope to see it at a show someday!!!!!

22. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Me too Bob. Wuh happened to this merc? It was moving along so quickly when slddnmatt had it.

Attached Files:

23. This was one of my insperation Mercs when I had mine. slddnmatt really knows how to chop a merc. Wish I would have had him chop mine!

24. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

x2. This 51 is really clean and different.

25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

From what bill told me he is going to take it to the GNRS.. its all done, it got held up at his upholsterer and the painter for some touch ups. It will be nice to see the interior in it!

26. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I guess it is a matter of taste. I love the traditional rides but as of late the more edgeier Kustoms have been catching my eye. I'm a big fan of EXK. I think they put out some killer rides with a ton of attitude. But to each his own. Is it THE perfect Merc, don't know. But I'd love to have it my garage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  27. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

28. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Heres my daily driver 51 the "Suicide King" I dig it but everyone has aright to their own opinion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

If Bill's (slddnmatt built )Merc is going to be at GNRS, then so will I, see ya there Merc posse. Who's all is going?

30. I really like Sam Barris' 49 merc, Bettancourt's 49 merc and Boris' 49 merc. Interestingly enough all 3 have full fade fenders; ie no hump in the door. That being said I also really like the Wally Welch 50 merc, Jeff Neppl's 50 and Terry Hageman's 51. To me all these cars just have that perfect flow. I'm sure there are others, but these just really stand out in my mind. All our really clean builds without a lot of gingerbread added. Then again there is something just sooo cool about James Dean's merc that is basically stock, but lowered, it just oozes cool to me, I mean no chop, no spots, still has the trim, handles etc. It is just nosed and decked with 51 skirts and a low stance and duals, it even still has the stock grill, headlights, tail lights too. To me it really captures an actual high school kid's car in the 1950's. Custom, but not overly so.
    Matt

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012