Register now to get rid of these ads!

49'-54' chevy power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Mar 13, 2008.

1. dudes! i was on one of the other sites and came accross some limited in on using a "reversed gear" astro van power steering box on 49'-54' chevy cars. they were talking 85'-95' box and i fail to see how they could reverse one. anybody that owns one of these car would love power steering so chime in. thanks:D:D

2. must have been full of shit on doing this mod. bummer!

3. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Just came across this on Chevtalk. Astro/Safari van power steering on a 49-54 Chev. There are two different boxes on a Astro/Safari Van so you need to check the direction of the pitman arm according to the post. The box needed is the reverse direction, so when the steering shaft is turned clockwise the pitman arm goes counter clockwise.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273586/

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/261018/post/2164982/hl//fromsearch/1/#2164982

PS - You don't need to reverse the box, GM has one all ready reversed. It sounds like the 2wd box not the AWD box is prefered but check to make sure.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

With a rebuilt front suspension/center link mine steers great.. And you not putting crappy Astro van parts on a classic !

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

worth doing a bit of research on !

6. dgc15

dgc15

Here is is mine in my 51 Chev.
    The mount is a little tricky to get made right, but it fits good.

Attached Files:

7. Basically have to position it the same way the stock one was, the bracket has to be fairly heavy duty. Someone makes an aftermarket one, but I guess it's kind of wimpy.

8. 52Poncho

52Poncho

What pitman arm did you use, the Safari van one is straight or did you bend it to move the box further away from the exhaust?

9. do you have anymore pictures of the mounting bracket? maybe one with exhaust manifold on.:D

10. 52Poncho

52Poncho

55dude on the Chevytalk links I showed above there are more pictures that may help you.

11. dgc15

dgc15

The pictures on the ChevyTalk links are mine. Hope they help.
    I don't know what the pitman arm is from. It is offset and it looks like the end has been drilled and a 1" ball bolted in for the drag-link to snap on.

12. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Been doing a bit of research on the web. The arm looks to be from an Express/Savanna van.

[​IMG]

13. mikesabiker

mikesabiker

Anyone have pictures of a tilt GM column and a stock 41 GMC box? Also the cutting of the old column?