Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,i am ok and so is every member of my family.I guess only storage door got some damage from that storm,everything else seems to be ok.The wind lift it off from the hinges and tear off some tin of the door too.I need to fix it at tomorrow.
    I know that set-backs like that can piss you off seriously,but without any of them life could be really boring.
    They just make it more challenging:D

2. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear you're all ok. And we all love challenges, don't we!

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by TexasSpeed [​IMG]
    Aha, so I'm not alone.. Looks great though.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    No, any car that has great lines has had hours of just staring!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Ok, I admit......I like to stare.:D:D:D

5. farmer12

farmer12

Today I started on the front window garnish. I'll do it chronological order, just to do something different.

pic1 This is a pic from the seller. (I think it was ebay)

pic2 This how I received it from UPS after they probably used it as a frisbee.....

pic3 Sandblasted, epoxy primered and initial straightening after cutting it in half.

pic4 Welded it all together, including the air vent.

pic5/6 Cleaned up the welds and smoothed it.

pic7 Gave it some primer.

Moving on to the top half and the vent on the bottom tomorrow.

Attached Files:

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Was it hard to weld the garnish molding up? I'm not sure how thin some moldings are.. I'm thinking about incorporating some in my A build.

iPhone - TJJ app

7. farmer12

farmer12

The moldings are only 1 mm thick, it's strength is realised by bends, curves and lips. When I weld a molding I clean it first, use my grinder to make a 2 mm wide cut, weld and grind smooth. I weld a maximum of an inch to an inch and a half long, then let it cool down before I grind, then re-measure and continue. Hope this helps.

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Nitro-Flattie1. I'm expecting to have the car finished next year, at least that is the big plan. Can't wait either.:D:D:D

9. plmczy

plmczy

ouch, looks like seller folded the end to fit it in a box. nice save, your not keeping the defrosters?

10. farmer12

farmer12

The seller said it left his home perfect and UPS have only replied with their standard emails. I figured it needed modification anyway, so I'm not going to get into the "negative energy mode" and waste my time trying to sort out who did it. To answer your question: the defroster slits were so badly damaged that I welded them up. I may just make a single cut there to allow the air to pass through......haven't decided yet.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Continued on with the front windshield garnish moulding today. Finished off the top and bottom halves. Did a test fit and did not go too well. (probably due to the fact that when UPS bent it, the whole frame got out of shape).I don't know how far it's situated from the windshield /weatherstrip, so I'm going to order one before I continue. It also looks like I'll need to cut the mouldings in half again in order to get it lined up properly. Maybe it will work once the rubber is installed......we'll have to wait and see.

Attached Files:

12. robleticia

robleticia

Looking good!! All the metal work you have done, this will be an easy fix. Keep up the good work and Happy New Year to you and your family!

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob. I know I can fix it, but like many, I was hoping it would fit the first time around. This is all part of fabrication and customizing I suppose.

Happy New Year to you and your family too!

14. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

Happy New Year to you and yours! Your build is going great, I got a chance to catch up on your thread, very nice indeed.

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Glenn and it looks like 2012 is going to be a great year!

16. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

awesome quality as usual farmer12! happy new year to you!

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hogman, and a Happy New Year to you too!

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

So I'm guessing this time next year we can sign on and see your completed car? Hope so and Happy New Years to you Eric.

19. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Happy new years eric, here's to a great 2012 and great progress on our rides..

20. farmer12

farmer12

Yes, 2012 is going to be THE year!:D:D:D

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

2 steps forward and one back :D I know you will sort it. Happy new year Eric.

22. farmer12

farmer12

This just happens sometimes.... Problems are there to be solved. Happy New Year to you too Steve. Have a great 2012!

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy New Year, Eric! You sure made chicken salad out of chicken poop with that garnish! Nice work! I plan to finish mine in 2012, too. Sometime in 2012....... :)

24. thinkfink

thinkfink

where is the "like" button? Happy New Year Eric.

25. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I was just telling my wife how exciting 2012 is going to be. In the back of my mind I'm thinking "Man I hope Eric finishes his car soon". So her next question to me is "Whats with the stupid smile on your face"? If she only knew.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Happy New Year to you too Rock. The garnish isn't there yet, but I'm going to make it work! Looking forward to seeing yours finished too this year!

27. farmer12

farmer12

Happy New Year to you too Jochen, hope to see your car this year on the road as well!

28. farmer12

farmer12

That's funny James! While I was greeting everyone and lighting up the fireworks, all I could think about was which parts I still needed..........;):D

29. farmer12

farmer12

I couldn't stand the fact that my windshield garnish wasn't straight, so I went out and bought a little torch to see if a heat treatment would work. And it did! I clamped it to the wood from the engine stand (I know, very smart) and heated it, cooled it and hammered it and........I got it straight!

Now the only thing bothering me, which hopefully this can be answered by one of you guys, is that the radius of the bottom garnish in each corner is too much. Now I can apply heat and shrink the outside, but want to make sure first. (maybe if I bought the weatherstrip first, this would give me a clue as well.)
    In the photos it looks like the radius of the top garnish is too tight as well, but this is due to the overlap.

Attached Files:

30. 123pugsy

123pugsy

Nice project Eric.

I've really enjoyed following your build.

If I were you, I would cut the moulding at the bottom just outboard of the mounting screws and then use pieces from your overlap extra material to fudge it all together.