Register now to get rid of these ads!

GA Registration Issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oltruckag, Dec 30, 2011.

1. oltruckag

oltruckag

Ok, other than disassembling my 28 sport coupe and buying some patch panels I've not made much progress... (see this thread for purchase pics)

It's in rough, but salvageable shape. I'm getting ready to start fabbing a frame, but before I get too deep into this, I've got a registration question. The car came with a 28 engine with a legible serial number, but the frame is ROTTEN where the serial would be. So, I have a pile of parts with a bill of sale that matches the engine serial number. The car has been sitting in the GA woods for the last 30 years, so there is no old registration to reference.

I've read the Georgia "motor vehicle title manual" and I'm not sure what my best option for registration is. I suppose I could have it inspected with the engine in it, before building it up, but once it's complete there won't be anything left with the serial on it. And that is a bit difficult now that it is a bare frame and the parts are scattered around my garage.

Is there a way to have ga issue a new serial/vin for the car once it's complete? Basically, how would I register an A built from a new frame and swap meet parts? Should I give up now and cut my losses? The car has potential, and I've been collecting parts to get it running.

HELP!

Tyson

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Most As were registered by engine number anyway. The frame numbers being the same but buried under the body! Go for it and enjoy.

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Throw that manual away. You can go to the Georgia DMV and call it a tractor, bull dozer, road grader, A model coupe, or Duesenberg. They don't give a damn. You will get a tag.

Just don't try to register it outside of GA or AL.

4. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Go ahead call the sheriff's office and have a vin verification done and get the T-22b form filled out. Have the top part filled out already and check the no box on the missing serial plate. The deputy will fill out the rest. You will also need to have a bill of sale with the engine number on it to show the deputy.
    http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/motor/t-22b.pdf

With the T-22b form, bill of sale, and insurance, you will be able to get a tag and register it.

5. oltruckag

oltruckag

I hope so - I had an issue getting a title for my '71 f250, had to have the officer inspection. But that was for a title- not just a tag.

And getting registration for my '62 was interesting... The title was in my moms name. Had to have power of attorney and a letter stating the truck was given to me. (but no inspection)

I've not had good luck with the GA tag office. Just thinking I should get a plate now before putting a ton of time and $$$ into it.

Tyson

6. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Georgia does not require a title on car over 15 years old. A bill of sale, the t22b form and insurance is all that is required

7. oltruckag

oltruckag

Use the engine serial? Now I just need to assemble it to a shape worthy of inspection...

8. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Yes engine number . Is the sport out of Winder?

9. oltruckag

oltruckag

Snellville - the guy was selling off a number of cars he had collected over the last 40 years. This is the worst platform I've started with, but my 62 was keeping hay dry in the cab when I bought it. Now it's a nice driver. So I know I can make a nice sport coupe hot rod out of it (not that r word)

Tyson