Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake Hose Routing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ecna, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ecna

ecna

I'm working on a '55 Buick with an aftermarket front suspension. I'm having trouble routing the brake hose. The way I would think to route it, (behind the control arms... the pic with my hand in it) the hose lays in the fold of the air bags (and would do the same if it was coils). Routing to the front seems to work a little better, but seems odd. Any thoughts on routing or maybe different brake hoses.

Thanks,
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'd get the long ones from a chevy truck that have a bracket to bolt to the upper arm, weld on a tab, and be sure to never have brake failure from a pinch point.
    Rock Auto BENDIX Part # 77020

3. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I used the bracket ( ford explorer brake lines are longer than others) and bolted it to the backside of the upper control arm. this holds it out away from the bag but allows full travel and turning.

MrC.

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

53sled you beat me by 1 min. good job.
    MrC.

5. maniac

maniac

Looks like all you need is a longer hose, judging by the first pic

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

That's what she said. :)

7. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

maybe thru frame fittings??

8. ecna

ecna

Thanks everybody. The hoses are the Riviera hoses that came with a bracket that I took off. Maybe that was a mistake, but it didn't seem to line up with anything good. The hoses have a little "key" to keep them from spinning in the bracket at the brake line end. I'm using universal brackets and I cut the slot in them in a way that it keeps the hoses away from anything. I might want to add a bracket in the middle of the hose like some of you suggested, but I think the hose lengths are fine and routing them in the back is the best bet.

9. ecna

ecna

53Sled... I just looked at the picture of the one you suggested, I like the way it comes out of the caliper and bends. I might want to give that one a shot. Thanks.