Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone building or thought about building a school bus?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thewishartkid, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Window Licker

Window Licker

2. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

We have a '60 Ford bus sitting on my in-laws farm. I'll get some pics next time I'm out there. Still has the y-block. I was told it was driven from MI to Southern IN where it sits now by a crazy uncle.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Sort of a bucket list, school bus converted to RV, drive a vehicle that was in showroom when I was born (check off, born Oct '52, have '53 chev pickup), house from old school or church (close.......living in a in-progress conversion of a civil-war era general store into an "efficentcy apartment". It is just me, wife, 2 dogs and half-dozen cats so no issues), life is good right now, my 2 new shoulders and spinal nerve blocks allowing me to function.

4. Damn that has the be the Stubbiest looking bus I've ever seen!

I think Tom's was the first Hot Rod School Bus built, and probably the best
    [​IMG]

Yep, way too over the top ....

5. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

there is a 36 Ford on Charlotte, NC craigs list, it is already mounted on a late model chassis and most of the bad metal has been replaced. It was originally a restoration auto class project that is until the school dropped the auto restoration classes

6. The trouble with the internet is untruths become facts.
    Clive, you should get your facts straight before you blab it around, the 454 is NOT toast. Sheesh.....

7. There is a nice 36 school bus for sale here in North Carolina on the Charlotte craigslist

8. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

heres my 57 chevy,has a 348,was coverted to a rv years ago,sleeps 6,has full kitchen.and a back porch...
    it runs,i bought some new tires and need to fix the brakes....

Attached Files:

9. watson1933

watson1933

THANKS Bob

10. watson1933

watson1933

11. harley rider

harley rider

here is one.

Attached Files:

• 081.JPG
      081.JPG
      File size:
      129.7 KB
      Views:
  12. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

I have a late 40s Chevy/Wayne School Bus that was my fathers. He was killed a couple of years ago in a car accident and I was able to purchase it. It is sitting on a Step Van Chassis with dropped spindles on the front. It has not made much progress yet because of time and money. I will try to get some pics on soon

13. So what is wrong with it then?
    Why does he think it is not worth using or spending money on?

His comment
    "the 454 we imported as a good runner isn't"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  14. AntiBling

AntiBling

My uncle started to turn this into a camper but drove it up on the hill at the farm way back in the day when I was just a wee squirt or even before then. My dream is to move south and live in it some day. But I'm a year away from 30, maybe I'm getting to old for plans like that.

[​IMG]

15. Saw this one at Spokane Goodguys couple years back.
    It was pretty cool.

Attached Files:

16. I've been contemplating doing a FEDERAL PRISON BUS.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  17. Sold this bus last year to a fellow Hamb'er out of Tenn. He's being real secretive about how this build is coming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Lifestylz, you sir, are a rude man. You want to discuss a non hambers personal biz on an international open forum and you start it off with ill informed gossip.Then you demand to be told the facts.
    I could tell you but it's not my place.
    Why not call JB up and ask him yourself....I bet he would give you a few 'facts'.:D

My apologies to the OP, I just had to say...y'know?

19. Deuces

Deuces

Why not build a replica of the Partridge Family bus???.... :eek::rolleyes:

20. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I remember a "S' Cool" bus from years ago.

21. +1.

22. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

How about that guy that's in bowling green, KY every year at the hot rod reunion. It's an old prison bus. It's cool though...

I have pics somewhere.

23. ill informed gossip?? lol
    Well, in his own words, the engine was not even a good runner, then what else would it be.
    As far as an international open forum, that is exactly where he posted it himself. Ask him.
    I think you guys are building a mountain out of a molehill and not helping in any way.
    Have a nice day. :D

24. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

25. whisky runner

whisky runner

i seen that prison bus at the cruisin the coast show in mississippi this oct. was a cool rig.. i thought i had a picture too but cant find it

26. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Anything Randy Watson does is top shelf. he has a real nice 32 pickup. The back end of the bus is what is really nice and I belive all of the windows are electric. TP

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Last I heard, a lot of states won't allow a school bus to be titled as a personal RV. Anybody come up against this?'
    Old busses are pretty easy to find around here in Arizona, wouldn't mind building a diesel motorhome for retirement later.

28. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

My grandad had bought and sold a lot of school buses. I'll have to ask my dad if he had any real old ones like these. Not a school bus, but my dad has a '34 Austin city bus he'd sell. I'd love to see that one propery restored since it is the last one in existence.

[​IMG]

29. Coolest bus ever!

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, very cool. I like the paint scheme, as it looks far more "vintage motorhome" than "school bus".

I've long wanted to have a '40s-'50s bus/camper. I think it comes from when I was a kid and crawled through lots of them in junkyards.

-Dave