Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Licensed to kill, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

I'm going to be making some changes to my 28 A sedan, specifically with the fuel tank but have a few concerns. Right now the tank is behind the rear seat and I'm planning to replace it with a 32 style tank. Neither place is very good but there really isn't a good place for it so......Anyway, the tank will be vulnerable to a rear end collision but, without an ignition source, a ruptured tank isn't a major, which brings me to my concern. Right now, the battery is mounted in a carrier under the floor just in front of the rear axle. THIS would be a fine source of ignition in a collision and I'ld rather not have the battery in such close proximity to the fuel tank. Any suggestions for a alternate location for the battery? Also, I was considering perhaps going with a poly tank rather than steel for just a little added safety but would really rather go with the steel. Thoughts?
    Thanks

2. callcoy

callcoy

You might research to street rod parts suppliers, there are poly saddle tanks available. Unless you have a PU, Panel Del or a Sedan Del, you will see the tank. If you are concerned about a rear end collision and a possible fire a saddle tank may offer a safer solution.

3. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Thanks. I've looked into the saddle tanks and they don't interest me. I actually like the look of the 32 tank. While I'm concerned enough to consider alternatives to reduce a fire possibility, I'm not the worry wart kind of guy. The reality is, any kind of collision in this tin golf cart won't bode well for the occupants so the concern may be moot. Just wondering what alternatives there are.

4. I have owned 3 Model A's, and all 3 of them carried the battery under the passenger side floor board. I would move your battery forward.

5. xlr8er

xlr8er

I have my battery in the trunk and a 32 style steel tank and I'm not too worried.

I was just thinking. How about installing a 32 style tank and NOT using it as a gas tank? You could make an access panel and hide the battery in there and locate the actual gas tank elsewhere. You could also use the space inside the gas tank for storage. Just a thought... Good luck - post pictures!!

6. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Mine is under the dash.

Attached Files:

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I also have the Odyssey PC680 mounted under the dash with a ATL fuel cell/bladder
    mounted where the back seat would normally be in my '30 sedan.

8. Mine is under the seat
    [​IMG]

9. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Thanks for all the ideas. Certainly some stuff to consider.