Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Loved the video. Except they were camparing apples to oranges with the Corvair vs Econoline and the Unibody vs pickup.

Later,Bill

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

I haven't had any panic brake situations with mine... except when a brake line snapped and my choice was to go through a busy intersection or hit a drug dealer's car.

I upgraded mine to disks and a dual mc, but I plan to change to a better MC later. It stops fine, but I leave plenty of distance between me and the car in front of me, and I installed 3-point seat belts.

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

I've seen that video with sound, but I can't find it now. I'm pretty sure that Chevy removed the cast iron weight from the Econoline and then really slammed on the brakes to get it to nose dive like that.

4. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Woah.
    Yeah, thanks for the video. That reeeeal reassuring. Haha...

I definitely drive this thing WAY slower and more carefully than my '62 TBird. Keep the stories coming! I wanted to tow a '60s camper with my truck, but even that sounds super dangerous to me now.

5. Hogride

Hogride

How fast mph or et have you gone in a econoblaster, what are they like over say 100 mph:eek: have not had mine out for a blast yet. Hell better yet. what are they like at 70/ 80

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. erock805

erock805

I have had panic brake issues with mine...In fact I swear the ass end came up on mine about a year ago. And yes it has the weight.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

I seriously can't believe guys put motors in the bed of these things and drag them. I've probably done 70 in mine, but anything beyond that sounds pretty scary (until I get the steering box rebuilt, anyway).

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

I used to do 70-80 on the highways around Chicago regularly with the 170 in it. No problem... except when there was a crosswind!

I ran it down the track at the Hunnert Car Heads Up last year with the 302 in it. I forget what my time was, but I took it relatively easy (1st time on the track) and I think I did80-90mph in the 1/4. I twitched and it got squirrely mid-track which hurt my time. That was scary... but not as scary as my 2nd run when I didn't take it easy, and twisted the driveshaft in 2 and tore the spriings out of the frame. :D I'm working on fixing that.

No problems stopping on the track though!!

9. econodan

econodan

i got a 66 van,no pics yet. like your truk bro

10. chevy59409

chevy59409

I picked another one up this summer all original fixed the brakes and been having fun since econoline pu (5).jpg econoline pu (6).jpg the other one is for rear engine someday

Attached Files:

11. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

I have pegged the speedometer many times--crosswinds,yes have made me pucker --when i built mine last time I lowered the 302 and c-6 3 inches--sure helped in crosswinds and going around corners---a stock econoline weighs 2400 lbs ---after building mine it weighed 3400,--anything with a 90 inch wheelbase is spooky at high speeds

12. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

That's what it is, isn't it? It's a super narrow truck. Feels pretty unstable to me (especially after watching the video of them flipping and stuff). I've been driving mine a ton lately and I'm getting used to the no front hood and the narrow wheel base. It's taking some time though! Also mine is lowered, so I can't imagine it at stock height! It does bottom out a lot though.

What have you guys done with your exhaust? I'm thinking about running that exhaust splitter from classic inlines and maybe going straight pipes out the back? Any other, more creative ideas? Personally not really into the lake or side pipes... Just want it louder... What about bell tips?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

13. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Planning on ditching the diamond plate back bumper too...

[​IMG]

14. erock805

erock805

Mine has no muffler. Just a turn down before the rear wheels. Sounds cool. btw...I love your bed hooks!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. Hogride

Hogride

Thats a good look'en econo. I Like it:cool:

16. That video is good stuff, the end-o is really crazy! I am nervous now about a hot rod Econoline, with Hogride driving!!!!

17. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Watch out Dice van , Coby move over ...... Therapist is coming......

Ive had the super van for a year now and Ive done just about everything i can think of to the running gear and am moving onto paint.... she's getting blocked out in my backyard right now and theres some super secret squirrel shit going on for the paint.... I can't wait...

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      220.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Hellfish

Hellfish

Let me guess... that's not snow on the ground, or snowballs in the tree? California sucks. But I can't wait to see what the secret squirrel comes up with. :)

19. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Thanks, Erock and Hogride! You have a pretty good looking truck, yourself. Do you have issues with bottoming out becuse of how low it is? Mine was lowered and on big dips, the shocks or something hits the frame really hard.

I like your exhaust idea too. I noticed a lot of guys running the pipes out right in front of the back tires. Ever heard anyone using motorcycle 'bell tips' for pipes? Something I'm toying around with...

How loud is that 200 with no mufflers? I'm running a 200 as well.

Thanks for the responses!

20. Putting the engine in the bed should greatly improve balance and weight transfer. I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully before summer.

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

yeah, these are fair wheather trucks in my opinion. i've had one since the 70's and back then it was compatible with other cars braking systems,handling,etc... but now everybody drives 75 mph. or more, thing's can get spooky fast! i put front disc's on mine, it help's. mine also has a 302/aod in it, and is in need of a bigger sway bar up front with the extra weight. leave lots of room in front of you it traffic!

22. Your engine and trans won't completely fit in the bed unless you're willing to direct drive it, and use a shortie powerglide.
    I have one that I set up that way. SBC, shortie glide direct coupled to rear end and the blower belt still sticks in the cab area the width of the belt. I made a new frame that sets the oil pan just four inches off the ground.
    Mine never sees the highway as the detroit locked 6.50 rearend makes it a moot point. Of course, I never intended it for highway buzzing anyway. Mines more of a stoplight to stoplight bandit. To me it's much more fun, and it removes top end from the equation.
    My problem comes from the launches. 4800 stall, and the right tires makes the steering REAL light, as in non-existant, as the front tires aren't even close to touching the ground. I also have four wheel disc brakes, with rear turning brakes built in. Stops great as long as all four tires are touching the ground, but it's quite the e-ticket ride when I've carried the front end. With a set of 9" piecrusts it doesn't get enough bite to be a worry.
    I handled the crosswind problem by removing all the glass except the windshield.

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds cool as hell! Got any pics of that beast?

24. Not sure if anyone here is bidding on this one, but I thought I would post the link. I buy things from time to time on some of the auctions at http://k-bid.com/

Go down to the auction titled [SIZE=+1]Loretto Equipment #113
    See item 6

It looks like a great start.
    Wish I had room.

[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  25. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

I just became the proud owner of a 61 Econoline p/u. This thing is a blast, found it three states over where a collector had it in his warehouse. He is thinning out his group of unique cars so I jumped on this one.

It was rebuilt by the owner previous to him up in WA state. Red, black and a nice matching interior. New drivetrain and disc brakes, nice sounds outta the dual manifolds and pipes.

People around town go nuts seeing it, lotta fun!

26. cl350rr

cl350rr

that would be a reasonable price in Virginia, I don't know about Missouri. you are a whole lot closer to the dry west than we are

27. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

In the 40 odd years I've been driving mine---crossed up many times in slick stuff--or even punching it at the wrong times--one night drunk--I punched it turning left from a stop--The rear end came around so fast it thru me in the passenger floorboard,ended up wrong way in the traffic--yes they get loose

28. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

I nvr drove one till I bought this '61 a few wks ago.. Wow it is fun. People love these things on the road. They are dirt simple and a part of American motoring history. If it is solid and you want an old truck, pretty cool choice. Just changed the oil and nvr had to open the door and lean through the seat to fill a motor w oil!

29. b-bop

b-bop

Here is mine from 1978. Got this baby right after High School. When I bought it the guy told me to be careful on the right hand turns.....yeah, yeah I got it......first right hand turn I bounced it up and over the curb. :) Young punk that I was. didn't understand the you are sitting ahead of the front wheels. :D
    Had a blast with that bomb.

Attached Files:

30. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Here's my '61. It has a big 250 ci Stove Bolt 6 in it and an auto trans. Disc brakes, new interior and good sound system. Motor has a cast dual manifold and the rest of the exhaust is new duals routed clean and straight out the back.

Attached Files: