Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How Industrial Chassis Chops a Merc Four Door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Aug 7, 2010.

1. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

What I ended up doing with my rockers is just cutting down the top edge and kinda moving it in or out as needed till it was inline with the doors. Mine fit pretty well but they still did not fit just like I wanted them to, I was not totally happy with them, now I cant say if it was the rockers fault or the doors just kinda suck on the old mercs because I would swear my merc is shaped different then my buddys merc 4 door that is sitting right beside mine in the shop. Jim

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I can attest that back in the chopping phase on this car, until the sandblast you couldn't tell how bad it was!

3. We found similar, when we were putting the roof back on we had to bias the rear window to the passenger side to make the sail panels appear to match and the angles the windows lean in is different on both sides. We have had to reshape the window frames on the doors a few different times just to make everything match up and look like it does. So much work I didn't document but was necessary just to get the car looking like it does.

The rockers have a ton of work in them right now, the contour just doesn't flow off the door and wrap under. It almost has a bump to it in the middle. It just won't fly when the car is painted.

Yeah! Look at the first pictures I posted, the car looked great, panels lined up and showed no signs of this.

4. Bob Maxwells 4DOOR from around 1980-81

after carefully cutting a exact amount out for the chop one sides windows were about 3/8 inch shorter causing trouble with the garnish mldngs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Forgot to post a pic, kinda herd to see here but might be able to see it. Jim

Attached Files:

6. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Your dedication to this project and 'doing it right' are very commendable. Great job!

7. critterTHB

critterTHB
    from Phoenix Az

Steve you are doing a fantastic job I couldn't b happier with your work ( unless it was finnished HaHa ) Verry professional I am simply amazed every time I come in .... The original (rain gutters) rockers were from Mercuryland.. And the rockers we used were Green Mountain ebay name is mikestude

8. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Amazing indeed!
    Awesome work, keep the posts coming. Rusty crap is everywhere.

Attached Files:

9. Man time flies!

Rockers and doors got squared up and fit fantastic now. Rear fender transitions into the door well and all the door frames match up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally past the repair stage of the project we can get to customizing this thing. Critter wanted to "french" the tail lights in. We went through some design ideas and then just let Dr Marvelus go to work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flush mounted skirts are on the docket now.

10. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Wow, lotta work on that Merc. Looks great. Reminds me of the "doctoring to hide the rust" issues I've been working and inherited from the previous owner. Been working to overcome the "doctoring" on my green 50 Merc for 2 years now.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, when I was down there on Saturday, I paused for a few moments as I do always and just marveled in that chop. It's flat awsome! and I'm a no chop kinda guy...

12. brady1929

brady1929

great job as usual

13. dniemi

dniemi

Nice work on that merc, your metal and fab skills are amazing

14. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Nice job,tons of work.I know I did one.I like how you filled the space between the top of the doors.I couldn't be-leave Ford left them like that. The 4 door 49 Merc I chopped, I tapered round rod there to fill in the shitty gap. Yea saving the stock drip rails do suck when doing a radical chop.The round rod smooth taper I think looks much better.

15. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Diggin those frenched tailights Steve!

16. farmer12

farmer12

Still doing a great job!

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Another thread I forgot about lol! Lookin good !!

18. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I don't know how I missed seeing this on here, but wow, nice chop and great metalwork!

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

The tail lights rule!

20. Great looking chop you make it look easy

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's going to be pretty bitchin when it's completed.

22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

nice job, keep us updated

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey great thread , you narrating skills are superb..

24. Sometimes progress is painfully slow. We took a hiatus from this already slow project to build another. Intense 8 month build of a street rod truck I did over on Dogfight Mag. Feel free to check that out as there was some really nice fabrication and finish work on it.

But more on topic, I'm restricted to a very small weekly budget on this car, so it comes along in little bits. Since we got back on the project the rear skirts were fabricated and fitted, rear bumper apron fitted and the front fenders, hood and apron got a bit of rust repair and some ironing out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the majority of the repair work done, we can get to customizing!

'51 front grill narrowed, filled and mounted to the 50 front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took on the front bumper. I made some dies for my Pullmax to form a section of front bumper to remove and replace the licence plate mount area. I used 10 Gauge Cold Rolled steel to make these from. Almost identical material to the stock bumper. Once fitted and welded, I did a bit of metal finishing and it's almost ready for chrome. Still need to weld up two holes and fit the brackets before we do that...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still working on tuning up the crease in the middle.

[​IMG]

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

WOW... Steve, you and your guys are still #1 in my eyes, awesome job buddy.
    Glenn

26. jerry

jerry

DAMN!

jerry

27. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Fantastic work on your bumper! I am doing the same thing to front and rear bumpers on mine but I am cutting up another bumper thats pretty rough and going from there...a little more work but it will work out in the end.....I hope!! LOL!! Jim

Sent from my DROIDX using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Glad to see some work on this.. Very Cool Steve!

29. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Let's hear a "Hell Yeah!!" for Industrial Chassis.

Primo work Steve.

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yea. Maestro of metal!