Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see some 63 impala street rods!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jq63, Jan 6, 2011.

1. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Hey jerry, found your thread, good to see you on the hamb finally! Don't worry, few aholes here just like on jj, but mostly good folk.

2. 1963 Chevrolet Impala Z11 factory hotrod with an aluminum front clip and a 427

In the early 1960s, intense rivalry among the American auto manufacturers began to manifest itself on the short dirt tracks and the high-banked oval speedway in the southern United States. Chevrolet was right in the thick of the battle when Junior Johnson debuted his Impala at the 1963 Daytona 500. Johnson's Impala quickly had the competition taking notice when he ran 165.183 mph in practice (fully 8 mph faster than the previous year's pole speed).

Powering the Impala was the legendary 427 'Mystery Motor' that featured a new design cylinder head (called the Porcupine as the angled valves and rockers 'stuck out every which way') and a four-bolt main block. Unfortunately, mechanical problems robbed Johnson and the Impala of victory when leading the 1963 Daytona 500. For most of the races that year, Johnson's Impala was on the pole and by the end of the season, Impalas had scored eight victories during their first and only year of competition.

Chevrolet had learned a valuable lesson from the 'Mystery Motor' program and applied what they had learned on the track back to the engine's design. Within a few short years, production Chevrolet 427 Mar IV big block engines would dominate a wide variety of racing venues throughout the world.
    If I recall only a handful were made for the "general public". However, you had to be a big name in racing or one the largest dealerships in the country to order one.

Attached Files:

3. csf64ss

csf64ss

heres my 64 ss im doin w/my son.....i'd like to know the exact size cragers and tires on the aqua 63 posted here please?.....thanx...charlie

im tossed between stock exterior or doin a super stocker tribute....charlie's tavares texaco..on 1/4's
    skychief on doors
    cameron speed&machine on upper fenders
    tri-color stripes deck lid ,roof,hood....green/red/black outline
    green tinted windows/headlites....
    cragers on front maybe rear or chrome reverse ala 63 ronnie sox car

Attached Files:

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

csf64ss - like the lowrider wheel hop type pic. only do a super stock tribute if you got the drivetrain and suspension to go with it. only do a stock look if you are part of the restoration group. other wise put some tuck'n'roll interior with a metallic paint job and Supremes with thin whitewalls. but, your ride and $$ - do what makes you happy. oh ya, this supposed to be a '63 thread.

5. BAGGEDIMPALA63

BAGGEDIMPALA63
    from VA

IMPALAS are lowriders, even the 409 impalas, i have a few 63 impalas and i wouldnt think of calling it a hot rod. just my thought lol

6. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

There were lowriders before there were Impalas!

7. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

There were lowriders back in the 50s,maybe earlier, in southern Cali mostly in the hispanic communities. It started with lowering cars with blocks,cut or heated springs and custom paint.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

best study up on the Lowrider and Bomb Community before going any further down that path. this is a '63 Street Rod thread

9. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Sorry didn't mean to hijack.:)

10. roughneck424

roughneck424

11. csf64ss

csf64ss

can you provide me w/tire and wheel size in rear?...my 64 on pg 5 sits "high" all the way around with a lil more in the nose ..bb ac springs...i love the attitude it gives the car....i'll never "bag an drag" dayton's etc...not my style..im into the 60's 70's street racer look.....yours is a nice piece!....the look im goin for is the old corner gas station owner's car.....they all had one!....you know....the one they pulled outta the bay an woke the neighborhood every mornin!.....then parked it out by the sign island for all us young gearheads to gaze at and swear we were gonna have one like that some day........shit we used to argue who's station had the "cooler" car......and your aqua paint was one of the best colors on these body styles.......charlie.......oh an by the way im not tryn to "hi-jack a thread"...just didnt see the need to start one for a '64 ....but if a/the board nazi's get a hemroid flare up ...i'll do one............

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  12. jq63

jq63

They are Cragar S/S, 8x15 in the back and 7x15 in the front w/ Radial T/As for tires. I went to Discount tires (not sure if you have those there) and they gave me a package deal. they inserted the off set measurments in there computer. They had to be made because they make them to order now since the kids run Momos now. And I had to grind down the inner fender wells in the back, theres' these "nubs" in the center that had to be knocked down a little. No biggie.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  13. outlaw256

outlaw256

jq63. i like that there car. i love them with cragars.i like the stance but my car would sit up just a little highr.i like the color, ah hell i like the whole damn car!!!! it reminds me of the cars from back in my day and thats exactly where i want to be.. its kinda traditional to me because i seen alot of them just like this one on the street when i was a kid growing up!!call it a hotrod, streetrod, street machine hell call it anything you wantits your car, your money and your time. just drive the hell out of it and have fun.i did some cherry poppin in a 63 impala when i was a kid. nice back seats.lol

14. jq63

jq63

[I].I did some cherry poppin in a 63 impala when i was a kid. nice back seats.lol [/I]

Remember the old "finding the most boring movie at the drive-in" trick?:D:D<!-- / message -->

Thanks for the complments, Glad you'r enjoying the car. Should have more pics out of the build soon.

15. csf64ss

csf64ss

ditto to that!...my first one was back in '81...lite blue/lite blue int....staten island to new jersey "no tell- motel" cruisen machine!....when i was growin up late 60's early 70's it was muscle car madness.....racin on the unfinished richmond prkwy....west shore exspress way......cragers...white painted wheel wells.......header cut outs..back up lights on......( you knew the guy had a 4 speed/hurst)...best times ever!.......yes you can go back in time!......

16. csf64ss

csf64ss

thank you very much!..its good to get info from a true source!...much appreciated......

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Here's my dads 63

[​IMG]

18. jq63

jq63

Was at the paint shop today and took some more photos outside, the trunk lid and hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dirt n Potatoes

Dirt n Potatoes

Wow. Im really diggin the wheel tire combo on your ride. More info and pics please...

20. lowbiz

lowbiz

thanks! They're 15" chrome wheel vintiques with the stock dog dish and custom diamondback tires. Diamondback Tires can custom make any style whitewall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. jq63

jq63

Finally starting to assemble her... found a really good trim guy who saved most of the trim and rear coving.
    [​IMG]

22. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] This is the style your after.

23. slammed

slammed

24. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Option: Raise the nose of this one 3", 15x4 Cragars w/ Redline tires. Out back 15x7 Pie crust cheater slicks.

25. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Love to chrome a straight axle and 'mini' street freak this one as a departure from the normal cruiser.

26. Here's my wagon from little old New Zealand

Attached Files:

27. heres a cool 63 prostreeter

Attached Files:

28. Paint

Paint

Here's my 63, my parents bought it new.

Attached Files:

29. jq63

jq63

Thats sweet! I'm curious did your Impala come w/ a passenger mirror? Mine didn't.

30. jq63

jq63

thats the same color I almost painted my 63 and was the color of my first one back in the 70s
    what she do in the 1/4 mile?