Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's getting cold out, how do you heat your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

I have a 12x24 room separated from the rest of the shop that is well insulated. It heats up fine with a ceramic heater and is big enough for engine rebuilds and working on dirtbikes and motorcycles. If we stay here long enough, I'll probably insulate the rest of the shop.

2. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

upper right corner
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Let me know how the engine swap works out ...

Larry

3. doesnt get as cold in NZ as it does in some parts of the states and UK but the good old gas heater does it trick. just wheel it round as you move around.. keep doors shut and a good sweetshirt hahaha its summer in our neck of the woods now so dont have to worry

4. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Since "I come from the land of ice and snow" ( sorry I like Led Zep)
    I have a 65,000 BTU natural gas overhead heater keeps me comfortable on those cold winter days in the (insulated) garage.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wander out in shorts and a T shirt. Its a balmy 80 degrees here.

6. U-235

U-235

"Wood, lots of wood! My shop is 30x50x11, concrete block with an unfinished ceiling. I am currently looking for plutonium, I think that is the only way I will get the place heated up this winter "

Plutonium...we have a lot of it laying around here...don't know if I could get it into one of those usp one size ships boxes or not..it would have to be lead lined.

My 24 x 30 garage is heated by a 5000 watt electric heater....my wife comes out and says "Geeez, its warmer out here than it is in the house"! I say "So whats your point"?

7. bluthndr

bluthndr

150,000 BTU tube heater heats my 14' high 1500 sq ft shop to 50-55* for about $200 a month in the winter months in SW Michigan. Building is concrete block with essentially no insulation

8. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm getting ready to build my dream garage and I'm reading all the responses here. Just wondering whats the cost of doing this. I'm upgrading my furnace at the same time so maybe I need to get one with 2 zones? Don't mean to hijack the thread. Just looking for input.

9. BashingTin

BashingTin

My space is a very modest 924 Sq. Ft. with ten foot hight ceilings. R-40 walls, R-80 up top in the ceiling. Double pane low-e windows. Small natural gas free standing fake log heater that outputs just under 25K BTU's. It's kind of cool to see the fire burning inside the shop. Makes zero sound. Costs me about $20 a month to keep the whole space a toasty 69 degrees when it's below freezing outside. It's a very comfortable space to work in. I spent a lot more to build the shop this way. I will eventually recover the extra construction costs in fuel savings:

[​IMG]

10. Clik

Clik

Last couple of years I used a 55 Gallon Drum on its side. Made a scrap iron rack for it to sit in. Cut a square hole in the end. Bought a $14 cast iron ash cleanout door for a chimney at a masonry supply. Cut a round hole for a flue pipe and throw the wood to it.

Later on a cut a 2" hole in the top (side of the drum) near the front. Set an old coffee can inside the door. Lowered a 1.5" pipe that has long vertical slots I cut down through the hole and set on the bottom of the can. Set up a drip line w/small ball valve that drips down inside the slotted pipe (slots no deeper than the can). When I use the drip set up it sounds like a jet and burns waste oil with no visible smoke outside with the exception of start up and even that's nothing to alarm neighbors.

I usually build one every year using a new drum because they're free. I just use the same cast iron door.

I'm thinking of doing one outside this year and heating water which will circulate through an old truck radiator (inside of course) with an electric fan behind it.

My neighbors already think I'm crazy because we shoot cannons and play with fire. They'll surely be thinking I've got a still.

11. Clik

Clik

Is that stove bolted to the frame or is it as dangerous as it looks? I guess there's nothing flammable on that shelf, huh? I think code around here is 24" from walls or flammables unless there's a heat shield and then it's 18", I think. It's been a few years since I lived where I had to worry about inspectors much.

12. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

It was 71 degrees in San Diego today. Decided not to fire up the heater in the garage.

13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'd like to see more on this. Maybe a tech article?

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

furnace for the shop..jack daniels for me

15. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

I have gone the wood stove route. In fact we cut up the old barn that was where my shop is now and burned it for over 3 years. The problem is constant filling the stove and the mess the pile leaves behind. I had the local furnace guy save an older oil house furnace when he upgraded to natural Gas. Paid alittle more than scrap for a nice 100,000.btu oil. I then installed a 175 gallon tank with filters and a timer switch so it will not stay on by mistake. Takes the chill out fast and makes it comfortable to work. Ter409

16. davey

davey

All these fancy stoves wheres the traditional wood stove, build a fire stay warm

17. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

18. flathead okie

flathead okie

5 yr old .30x30 shop heated with a free used gas wall furnace sold by Monkey Wards 30yrs ago. Had to replace the fan motor a month ago, cost 100.00

19. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I heat my shop for free, 24x40. I have radient floor heat powered by a Hardy woodburning furnace. This winter I built a heat exchanger that sits in the 8" stack and collects a fewdegrees before it leaves the top of the stove. The heat exchanger will pick up 5-10 degrees over ambient, it needs cleaning every week or two. Pictures just put up this evening show my two year shop project, the heating system is at the bottom of the picture page. Take the link to my website, all the way at the bottom of the page is the link to Chevy Nut's Junque Shed.

Visit Ryans other site, The Garage Journal, lots of interesting stuff there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  20. Clik

Clik

I drew a picture but I always have trouble posting pics on the HAMB. This AM was no different. It's too late to try to resize and all that. if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

21. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I use this SuperFlame antique oil heater I got for free. It warms up this 36' x 24' barn in an hour, and uses about a gallon of kerosene in 3 - 4 hours.

Attached Files:

22. Same here-works great -I leave it on all the time set to about 50 degrees-turn it up and you're in a tee shirt in 20 minutes if you want. No pilot light to worry about if you are messing with anything combustible.

23. GREASER815

GREASER815

I picked up a furnace out of a double wide home. It heats up my garage really nice, and it was already converted to LP. I like to run it off 100# tanks that way no big bill surprise. I know what I spend right from the go. I gave $25 for it at a garage sale.

24. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I use a wall mounted propane infared heater in my shop, heats my 24x32 up real nice and doesn't use a lot of propane either. I know there are better ways to heat but for the money I can't beat it.

25. Clik

Clik

Here's my Waste Oil Burning Woodstove set up. Start it with a piece of paper and once it gets going it has venturi effect that sounds like a jet and burns with no smoke.

Attached Files:

26. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Move to Florida..

27. Clik

Clik

The oil resevoir in the stove is just an old coffee can.

28. I use a wood burner

[​IMG]

29. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

do you draft good with that open return so close to the barametric damper ? just had some draft issues where the exhaust was sucking out the damper on a simular setup

30. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I was just thinking about a thread like this while I was splitting wood today (split and stacked 2 more cords ). I use an outdoor boiler to heat the house and an old updraft furnance for my 30x30 garage also. It would work better if I finished the ceiling but I keep buying car parts instead. I've got prioritys you know. Maybe next summer.