Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the Speed Shop that said it all for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

What part of Pacifica?

I lived there from 71-02

Im 40 :p

Send me a PM if you know the Cevasco's ?

2. maniac

maniac

California speed & sport, New Brunswick NJ, on Jersey ave.

51 BIRD likes this.
  3. derbydad276

derbydad276

Ramchargers!!!
    and Mayfair Speed & Machine

I remember going in back in the 80's looking for high performance brakes

and being told

4. I'm suprised no one has mentioned Custom Automotive,or Ace Muffler, both in Dallas

5. Sharps Park up on the hill. I'm 57. Pacifica was a lot different in the '70s for sure. Don't recognize the name but I'll PM you anyway. Pretty rare to meet someone from Pacifica.

My grandmother lived up where it is called Edge Mar now. On Arroyo Dr.

6. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

K&G in NE Philly, Ben Pilla, Langhorne Speed Shop and Honest Charley in Jax., Fl., I think K&G still in business. When outside "CONUS" J.C. Whitney was your connection to the real world.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Scotty's Muffler Service in San Bernardino. Much more than a muffler shop. And credit to a 20-year-old buying his roadster a new 365 HP Chevy (at cost) with no interest! The sedan in my Avatar may have the last of Scotty's (hisself) custom muffler jobs.

8. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

Performance Associates on rt 27 in edison,nj

9. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

Coopers speed shop allentown pa

speed boys auto parts stroudsburg pa

10. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I loved "Super Shops". Maybe because I was mocoso & maybe not as old as some people when it has around, but the smell of new BFG's laid stack all over the showroom . . . , that's a memory that will never leave.

And I did have the pleasure of rolling in there in my 68chevelle and buying my first set of BFG's(first new set ever im my life) before it closed its doors for good.

11. onelowc10

onelowc10

For me it was Suttons Speed Shop right across the street from me.I grew up hanging out there then started buying parts when i was old enough and still buy from there.But as with everything he's having a tough time competing with the online stores.People dont relize with shipping and that stocking fee the're around the same price most of the time. Now he's a sponser of my race car :)

12. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I did the majority of my shopping at Big Ed's. The Swartz Brothers had a small shop not too far away. I even went to S&S in Falls Church a time or two. Never got any stickers or decals from there.

Attached Files:

13. I have no idea what that sentence says :eek:

14. Thanks for the mention Mike....see my avatar
    Ace Muffler was Wayne Wilders place
    also Thank Bill Dyson for the mention

15. Growing up in Falls Church

I'll
    2nd that

Calhoun Speed Shop in Alexandria Va!

16. flyin-t

flyin-t

Mike do you remember the little wood jet boats they had for sale that sat just inside the front door? Little Berkeley jets with Briggs and Straton for power. I wanted one of those so bad when I was a little kid.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

What ever happened to Jim Kirby? He was a fixture in all of the Argus and Challenger publishing magazines of the seventies and then just dissapeared in the eighties...

18. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

In the mid-late 60's I lived in Sudbury Ontario, there was a place called Tom's Speed Shop. Part of a gas station. A friend and I would bike there and buy racing decals. In the 70's I lived in Nanaimo BC and there was Pacmaker Automotive there. As well, there was Cal Van Auto Supply in Victoria. Got my Chrome Reverse wheels for my 64 Chevelle that I owned back then from Cal Van.

20. Yeah, pretty much buried Sig Erson cams too didn't he?

21. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Were I grew up, it was Langhorne speed shop, or Sodonos in Penndel, Pa..Lots of memories ..

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

mid to late 1960's...Jon's Speed Shop in San Gabriel...had four locations over the years and all were on San Gabriel Blvd.
    We'd go there just to hang out.
    The original Taco Lita was just down the street, too, at the railroad tracks...

23. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

Dons speed shop on Berlin tnpk , and we hung out at LLOYDS Auto parts in manchester ,Ct

24. 10-4 on that..I think he wanted to be another Joe Hrudka..

25. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Fuck I love you. You always enlighten me on the history of my barrio. Which is a hell of a lot more than I can about a lot of people who piss all over it.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I walked into a small "speed shop" on the berlin turnpike about ten years ago that was in an old gas station and was like stepping back in time. It had the look and feel of someones "collection" of cool old speed stuff, but the general grubbyness (in a good way) of the place said it had been there forever. Could this have been either that you mentioned? If it wasn't, what was it? I had to be in corporate suit and tie the day I stopped, so no one really wanted to stop and talk to me!

27. Don't remember those Rich....There was a good variety of go-karts, mini-bikes and motorcycles....That counter guy would kick us out daily during the summer....Then we would watch Kelly pinstripe or go to Service Center and drool....Sad day when it all burned down.....

28. Not quite a speed shop, but Depalma Motorsports did it for me several years ago. Im still good friends with the owner.

29. Manny, Moe and Jack in San Diego CA. Could only afford to look fast.

30. richie rebel

richie rebel

honest bernie's speed shop in pgh pa in the mid 60's,all kinds of kool stuff,went there once a week to check out the speed parts