Register now to get rid of these ads!

unchopping a model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbag, Dec 28, 2011.

1. airbag

airbag

I found a really nice 31 ford coupe, car is already patched and stripped to bare metal, the only problem is it is chopped 5 inches. Anyone out there with the pieces laying around to unchop this car atleast 2-3 inches. thanks Nate

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Good luck. There was a post not to long ago and someone had some. Post it also in the wanted section of the HAMB incase draws quicker interest there.

3. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

I have a few of the parts you will need for a unchop,,if you must do that.:(

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not offer to trade it for a stock body. Someone must want a chopped Model A. Try a few ads, you never know your luck.

5. Your asking for a world of hurt to unchop.

6. pastlane

pastlane

I posted awhile back about un-chopping my A, looking for the pieces. It's chopped a tad over 5 inches, way too much for me to be able to see out of. Obviously not the easiest thing to undo but certainly not the end of the world.

Ideally I'd like to find another roof, door tops etc but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

7. I will be choppin gone 3-4 inches within the next few months. You are welcome to the pieces I take outta mine if you want. It's a 30 5 window coupe

8. Unchopping is about 2 as much work as chopping and way more difficult than just chopping it.

Is do a search on here for threads about chops, pm the owners about the pieces. There's been a few very recently. Good luck.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why don't you guys swap bodies and both save a lot of work?

10. pastlane

pastlane

I'd be up for that. Heavy chopped 31 5 window, blasted, top filled, bodywork done. Who has a stock body looking to trade?

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Gonna be more work than you think if it's chopped that heavily. My coupe is chopped 5" and it takes a lot of forming, pinching, cutting and messaging to make it line up. Doing that in reverse would most likely be a real headache, even with the pieces.

12. I have a model A body stock might be interested in a swap, but I,m in Maine. Can send pics. [email protected]

Attached Files:

13. pastlane

pastlane

I never expect any car (or house) related task to be easy. Sure don't expect un-chopping this coupe to be a cakewalk.

Might just push it out & get to work on the Henry J instead. In another decade I might have shrunk enough to be able to deal with the chop.

14. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

roadster time ??

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Or a sport coupe? Ifn you can't find a stock body to swap, it might be easier to just un-chop the top of the doors and build a Carson top to replace the back bits. Gary