Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 94hoghead, Dec 27, 2011.

1. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

Yes, me too - good to hear other "old" guys doing this. I have hundreds, still in the package. Mostly hot rods and muscle cars. Mainly try to find the ones with the least-silly paint jobs. But its all for fun. I need to display they in my shop one of these days.

2. I used to have a bad habit and have accumulated well over 4,000+ but I have not bought one in a year. I kind of like to save my money and put it towards my '56, now that I have a real car.

3. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I've got a couple of hundred or so. All stashed away. I'd like to find a really nice display case so I could get them out of the closet and up on the wall. I didn't know that there were sets....I've only got 10 or 12 Treasure hunts. I've already joined the Hot Wheels social group...

4. In my opinion, I think there are collectors who work in back rooms with the store's employees, especially at Target and other stores. You never find "Rare" Hot Wheels there. Why do you think there are Treasure Hunts in the first place? you think some runny nosed kid cares? of course not, they're geared more for adults.
    I have a rare Treasure Hunt worth some $, found at Walgreens. That's all I look for into buying, otherwise, I just look at them for how far the imagination can get with Hot Wheels designers' minds.

5. Check out the thread I did "Any of you guys collect other things?". there's LOTS of HAMBers who collect them. I,for one,have over 10,000 Hotwheels.

6. I have a few also, there were 9 more in my Christmas stocking this year. I pick up a few here and there wife seems to buy me a lot more than I do. She knows what I like so no cartoon crap.

Daughter brought home a "matchbox" car last week for me. Packaged exactly like the Hot Wheels.

I also have stashed away someplace some HW lip balm (chapstick) and a couple of Christmas scenes Santa workshops.

And I'm 58.

7. They also did StudebakerDaves pick-up. There were rumors that they were gonna do Groucho's Vette. No word yet.

8. burger

burger

You know, I'm glad that I finally had a son. That way, I'm buying the Hot Wheels "for him", not me. Keeps it clean that way.

9. Don't forget about the $100 Hotwheel races at my BBQ,every year. So,not only do I still collect them....I race them too,hahaha!
    Oh, and i'm 51.

10. canadianzed

canadianzed

I still have several hundred in packages stashed in the basement, but haven't bought any for the last 10 years or so.... maybe it's time to start looking again!! Yeah I'm part of the over 50 zoomers crowd also.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Shhhh, or M2 may ban him as well.

12. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

I am in my mid 50s. Have about 1200.Don't collect as much any more.It's great when you find that T'hunt on the rack.:) I wanted to buy a belt buckle, out of the U.S. But the Hot Wheels club there won't, send O.S. So I made my own:D

Attached Files:

13. xlr8er

xlr8er

I don't have 10,000, or even 4,000 but I do have about 2,000 Matchbox and Hot Wheels. I've replaced most of my orginal redlines and transitional superfast cars. I haven't bought anything new in about 5 years or so. I have the old stuff in glass cases and the NIB cars are in my toy room/home office. I take them out and look at them every so often. My wife will probably sell them at the aution when I die!! It's going to be a HELL of an auction!!

14. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

I have a few, but my good friend has 30,000 that's right 30,000 it is an unbelievable collection.

15. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Where doe's he keep them.:eek:

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm 51, my best friend from high school passed away about 20 years ago. 5 years ago his Mom was selling the house he grew up in and was having a garage sale. My buddy and I went over to visit the night before and she brought out his original 1967 carrying case with 47 mint Hot Wheels and the buttons all wrapped in tissue. she was going to sell them for $1.00 each the next day when the sale started.

I sold them for her on ebay and got over $1700.00. that could have been one of those finds that redline collectors dream of, either that or a bunch of neighborhood kids would have been thrashing some $100.00 cars they got got $1.00.

17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

hi, my name is bruce and a i still buy HOT WHEELS !! there,i said it! started when my kids where smaller,still have theirs,and mine from the 60's. i buy em now to customize. if i have a friend that has a real car if i can find a hw like it, i'll take it out of package,repaint change tires/wheel combo and re-package with home label. ie. b.a.king edition hot wheels. most folks seem to like them.:D although its gettin harder to do with bi-focals and arther in my hands:mad: i can buy about 15 hw's to one plastic model

18. Pluck

Pluck

I am also 53 years old and yes, I still collect them. Like many others, I like the hot rods and muscle cars. I have about 5000 cars in my collection and as long as they keep making cool ones, I'll keep buying them.
    Pluck

19. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

An unplayed with toy is a sad toy. I had hundreds of them and I gave them to a friend's two boys. I kept the variants of the Auburn.

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

You had to get lucky to find a treasure Hunt Hot Wheels, most were taken out my employees of the stores. I have less then two hundred didn't want things to get out of control. I have a box full of '98 Hot Wheels, I sell at swap meets. I only have what I think are cool like hot rods and customs.

CRUISER :cool:

21. i collect all scales and makes of die-cast cars if i like it i buy it i dont just buy the ones that "could be worth money" im an opener i open all of mine yes chase cars treasure hunts ALL of em im not in it for the money

my girfriends brother-in-law has @50k hotwheels give or take few thousand or so his main collection is all still in the original packages

22. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

Ditto. 53 and still buy, have a few thousand but now I am sharing my "habit" with my 11 year old son. I'ts OK to be a grown up and play with toys. I leave mine in the packages, but have hundreds of older ones I used to play with.

23. 4406

from Oklahoma

Got 50 more from Santa. Stopped counting when I lived in L.A. was over 3000 back then. No I don't have a Problem! We had a Hot Wheel race out here,it was a blast.

24. t-rod

t-rod

I have several hundred, my brother who has no kids and lots of time to look has thousands. I found 3 T-hunts on the rack at Walmart on Saturday, they must have just stocked the pegs.

25. I collect them as well. I just started on the Cars Of The Decades series. But im only gonna go with the 30's, 40's and 50's.

26. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

i have a couple hundred of them put away in a closet in big boxes, ill give them to my boy some day, ok ok i also have a few of my favorites in my toy cabinet too.

27. I gave mine (which wasn't much) to my brother-in-law years ago. He's in his mid 40's and has a spare room filed with hot wheels. Every wall in the room is covered plus he has a bunch of unopened boxes. He literally only has ONE Matchbox lol.

Attached Files:

• HW2.jpg
      HW2.jpg
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
    • HW3.jpg
      HW3.jpg
      File size:
      73.7 KB
      Views:
    • HW4.jpg
      HW4.jpg
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
  28. ok! what are the treasure hunts?

29. I get mine from Toys R Us.

30. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I had some til my grandson came along - gotta stroke that gearhead gene!